Car Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

Right,I work in Insurance but not Motor Insurance so I just have a quick query.
I am currently a named driver on my mums Direct Line car insurance policy and borrow her car whenever possible as I can't afford my own at the minute.
Now my girlfriend has said I can borrow her car occasionally,which would be more convenient as we live together, If I get added on to her insurance (which is also through Direct Line) would there be a problem being a named driver on two policies?

Have checked through various websites and can't seem to find an answer.

Are you certain before I go ahead and do it.:icon_lol:

I agree with Dour. There would be no problem.

Be aware though that if you do have an accident or conviction, it would have to be declared on both policies; not just the one for the vehicle you were driving at the time.

DirectLine...we're not on any price comparison websites...oh no

that's because you don't want people to compare your prices....?

And me. They're the first company i've actually been with for two years running.

Had to drop them when they wanted to charge me more the 2nd year after accident free driving.

They were over £150 more when I changed cars last year, so I changed companies :)

The mrs has just changed to Kwik Fit. They were about £80 cheaper than the last company, and she also got a 15% discount card for any work carried out at one of their sites, and a free MOT voucher.

Going slightly off topic, but I have had AA breakdown cover for the last 3 years and every year they send a new quote and I go onto their website and do a quote as a new customer and found it is significantly cheaper.

I then ring up explain I have been offered a cheaper quote and then listen to them squirm as I explain it is FROM THEM!

Admittedly they offer me the website price, but what happened to rewarding loyal customers?

Going slightly off topic, but I have had AA breakdown cover for the last 3 years and every year they send a new quote and I go onto their website and do a quote as a new customer and found it is significantly cheaper.

I then ring up explain I have been offered a cheaper quote and then listen to them squirm as I explain it is FROM THEM!

Admittedly they offer me the website price, but what happened to rewarding loyal customers?

I find it every year with my car insurance exactly the same. Their renewal prices are just a big rip off for lazy people who don't get further quotes. I've been with Privilege for years and every year their website is a good 10-20% cheaper than their renewal.

they dont i think they just assume youll stay with them and notice the price hike when they automatically renew your insurance, my sis was with aviva for her car insurance and they put it up to £50/month - she soon changed that and is now with TSB for £18/month

i find it staggering how companies can have such differences in quotes for exactly the same thing.

how much do you pay willlow for your breakdown cover and is it the basic package??

I find it every year with my car insurance exactly the same. Their renewal prices are just a big rip off for lazy people who don't get further quotes. I've been with Privilege for years and every year their website is a good 10-20% cheaper than their renewal.

Like you said they can get away with it because there are too many people who just happily pay extra for something they probably never use.

The only reason I am with the AA is because I had direct line breakdown and when I finally did breakdown, i found out about a clause which meant I would only be towed the first 10 miles and then have to pay for every extra mile. As I was 60 miles away from home I told them fcuk off and luckily had someone in the car with AA cover who could use their card to get us home for nothing.

they dont i think they just assume youll stay with them and notice the price hike when they automatically renew your insurance, my sis was with aviva for her car insurance and they put it up to £50/month - she soon changed that and is now with TSB for £18/month

i find it staggering how companies can have such differences in quotes for exactly the same thing.

how much do you pay willlow for your breakdown cover and is it the basic package??

Me and gf both have cards and pay something like £90, but they tried to charge us £140+. We can also use our cards if we are in someone elses car that breaks down and because they try and rip us off every year we also normally get home start included for free :038:

Last edited:
Me and gf both have cards and pay something like £90, but they tried to charge us £140+. We can also use our cards if we are in someone elses car that breaks down and because they try and rip us off every year we also normally get home start included for free :038:

me other half does recovery once a month and he knows how badly aa and rac treat their customers and wouldnt touch them with a barge pole

me other half does recovery once a month and he knows how badly aa and rac treat their customers and wouldnt touch them with a barge pole

I agree, i used to have 2 cars (well 1 each actually, for me and my wife), and the premium was nearly £1,000.00, which i didn't think was too bad as the cars were relatively new.

...we both also have maximum no claims bonus...i then sold 1 car and asked at renewal for the new premium £860.00, phoned the AA and asked for a discount as i was an existing customer...they offered me 10%.

...then phoned direct line...new price £225.00, lesson to me, don't be so lazy next time!

Phoned AA, offered to charge me £400.00, told them to f*** off, asked why they couldn't quote me that 1st time round...no answer.

I've got to the point that I use comparison sites for all kinds of insurance quotes now - I managed to cut in half the cost of my house buildings/contents insurance this year and get better cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669