Chambers & Mattock get some action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Maybe they will also play against France as well. :023: :icon_bigg ;)

From the OS and again.

Duo In England Action

Leicester City youngsters Ashley Chambers and Joe Mattock were both involved in England's 2-0 victory over China in the Under 16 Montaigu Tournament in France on Wednesday evening.

The duo both entered the game from the bench - Mattock replacing Moses Barnett just before half time and Chambers coming on for Rhys Murphy on 74 minutes.

England's goals came from Leeds United starlet Danny Rose on the evening - both strikes coming in the opening 16 minutes of the contest.

Chambers became the youngest ever player to represent the Foxes when he came on as a late substitute in the League Cup second round victory over Blackpool last September, while Mattock has been a regular for the reserves.

The City duo will now again be hoping to be included in the squad for the upcoming game against France today (Thursday - 6pm), which is expected to be a sterner test.

England U16s: Jason Steele (Middlesbrough), Seth Ofori-Twumasi (Chelsea), James Reid (Nottingham Forest), Jordan Spence (West Ham United), Jonathan Franks (Middlesbrough), Rhys Murphy (Arsenal) (Ashley Chambers (Leicester City) 74), Michael Woods (Chelsea) (Tom Taiwo (Chelsea) 61), Danny Rose (Leeds United (Tom Elliott (Leeds Unite) 68), Moses Barnett (Arsenal) (Joe Mattock (Leicester City) 44), Steven Clancy (Aston Villa), Henri Lansbury (Arsenal) (Tom Harvey (West Ham United) 27)

Im not normally one to start calling for youth player to get a chance in the 1st team but i think Chambo should be give a couple of sub appearances now we are safe and coming to the end of the season. He might not do anything but at least it will show him what the Championship is like! :102:

Always worth a try. You never know what you have got, look at Owen and Rooney. The problem with our club is we always say we have these promising youngsters coming through but they never get a good chance to show what they can do. We might have a super star.
Chris O'Grady to me has always been promising but he has only just been given a proper chance to shine. i know he is still only 20 but players like Rooney and Owen got a proper chance in their teens.

Willlow said:
Im not normally one to start calling for youth player to get a chance in the 1st team but i think Chambo should be give a couple of sub appearances now we are safe and coming to the end of the season. He might not do anything but at least it will show him what the Championship is like! :102:

It isn't going to happen. RK has already said that he will play his strongest team until the last minute of the season.

bocadillo said:
It isn't going to happen. RK has already said that he will play his strongest team until the last minute of the season.

I think a lot of the younger players will leave before too long.

what did happen with tomi petrescu? ive been waiting for him to break through for ages!

i think the problem is we've had a few sub-standard youngsters recently who've never really progressed beyond their potential (wright, heath) everyones waiting for the next heskey or joachim and its not quite happened.

RK seems quite sensible about these things as is shown by him starting to play O'Grady because I agree, I saw him in that Norwich game when we'd already been promoted and he impressed me then. I dont think he'll bring a 16 year old in right away but i think they'll get their chance when the times right.

maffyou said:
what did happen with tomi petrescu?

Went back to Finland (?) after 'not looking after himself properly'.

I doubt the youngsters will leave, they will get their chances but only when they are ready, surely the fact that so many have progressed to playing reserve team football so early on, will give them encouragement, remember Kelly is a former youth coach and Academy Director, so he is more likely to understand when and how to blood youngsters, whilst many are unlikely to get a start, I wouldnt be surprised to see a couple given a run from off the bench.

It is highly unlikely that any of the younger players would benefit from leaving Leicester, they have to be paitent, IMO there isnt one youth player who is better than an existing first team player at present. If they were I would gaurentee that Kelly would have selected them.

Last edited:
The kids at this club must be a lot more optomistic than at anytime over the past few years.. i too believe they will be given the chance when they are ready for it....... no more ove 30's please.

dpjfox said:
The kids at this club must be a lot more optomistic than at anytime over the past few years.. i too believe they will be given the chance when they are ready for it....... no more ove 30's please.

Until October, when the age discrimination act comes into force:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670