Change your ebay password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
eBay are saying people should change their password, after they had a load of data nicked.

BBC article:

EBay has asked users to change their passwords following a cyberattack that compromised one of its databases.

The US firm said the database was hacked between late February and early March, and had contained encrypted passwords and other non-financial data.

The auction site added that it had no evidence of there being unauthorised activity on its members' accounts.

However, it said that changing the passwords was "best practice and will help enhance security for eBay users".

A post on eBay's corporate site said that cyber-attackers accessed the information after obtaining "a small number of employee log-in credentials", allowing them to access its systems - something it only became aware of a fortnight ago.

"The database... included eBay customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth," it said.

"However, the database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information.

"Extensive forensics subsequently identified the compromised eBay database, resulting in the company's announcement today."

Although the firm also owns the PayPal money transfer service, it said that the division's data was stored separately, encrypted and that there was no evidence that it had been accessed.

However, it added that any members who used the same login details used on eBay for other sites should also update them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27503290

The eBay password change page is here: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...reateHint&isForgotPwdFlow=&isMCAlertFlow=&ru=

I've done mine....why the hell did they wait until now to make it known when it happened late February?!

I've done mine....why the hell did they wait until now to make it known when it happened late February?!

They've only found out about it relatively recently.

eBay are now rolling out a compulsory password change feature across their various sites. Should be in place everywhere by the end of the day. (They're not saying whose day though).

I love the advice from the expert on the BBC site about choosing a new password. "Choose a word that is not in the dictionary". eeerrr... surely if it's not in the dictionary, it's not a word!

They've only found out about it relatively recently.

eBay are now rolling out a compulsory password change feature across their various sites. Should be in place everywhere by the end of the day. (They're not saying whose day though).

I love the advice from the expert on the BBC site about choosing a new password. "Choose a word that is not in the dictionary". eeerrr... surely if it's not in the dictionary, it's not a word!

Or the great advice given on 5live that 99redballoons is the strongest password that's easy to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669