Chris Powell: I'll never forget nutmegging Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lboro fox

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ll-never-forget-nutmegging-Pep-Guardiola.html

CHRIS POWELL was stunned to play one match under Sven Goran Eriksson for England - let alone five.

Aged 31 days and 174 years, the left-back made his international debut in Eriksson's first game against Spain in 2001 and will never forget the moment he nutmegged Pep Guardiola.

After the emergence of Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge, Powell hardly expected to cross paths with the Swede again yet in a true quirk of fate, the pair are reunited at Leicester.

Powell, 41, has been coach at the Walker's Stadium for the last 18 moths and was shocked when Eriksson was named as Paulo Sousa's successor in October.

The co-incidences continue on Sunday because in his first FA Cup tie for his club - and in one of the clashes of the weekend - Eriksson faces former club Manchester City.

The assumption is that Eriksson, now in his fourth job since leaving England, is only at Leicester for the money.

And there is a fair bit of dosh around as well, due to the club enjoying new backing from Thai investors who have already let Eriksson undergo team strengthening as he bids to take the club to the Premier League.

Powell, who finally hung up his boots last season, said: "You look at football and people think it is a big world, but there are so many connections. There is always a link.

"I did not know Sven was coming in but for the new owners to attract a manager of Sven's calibre is amazing. Some people do not realise what a big deal it is. It is amazing he is manager in the Championship.

"What I would say to people is that Sven is managing us and taking it so seriously. People are saying it is easy for him but he wants the club to move on and he can attract some good players. He has done that already.

"He is working hard in Leicester. People used to say he doesn't come out coach but has done coaching every single day since he was here. If the first-team are not training, he will come out with the players who are left. He goes to reserve games and watches the youth team. It is good to see. Let us hope we can match it as a team and move back to the Premier League.

"Leicester is a great footballing city. It has had its own troubles with administration and relegation to League One but let's hope this is the start of good times. All Sven wants is Premier League football and we will endeavour to do that.

"We were flying out to Thailand or a match and that is when I first met Sven and Derek Fazackerley, who was also with him at Manchester City and England.

"When I saw Sven, we started laughing and shook hands, agreeing how strange football is. But I am comfortable with the fact he is my manager.

"It's incredible we have Manchester City on Sunday. The draw for the third round was made by Serge from Kasabian who is a Leicester fan and Noel Gallagher from Oasis. This is the game they wanted.
"Mancini also played for Leicester briefly and is now in charge of the richest club in the world and they are coming down to the Walkers' Stadium. Sven has been on the phone asking Mancini to take a reserve team. It is a good test for us to see how far we have to go."
PFA chairman of five years, Powell remains one of the most popular characters in the game.
He said: "You always say the best days are your playing days and I had 24 years of them. I had more ups and downs. I have worked for 25 managers and coaches.

"I joined Leicester as a player, approaching my 40th birthday, and Nigel Pearson said I had the character to be a coach. I took the opportunity and have loved it. I was player-coach but announced my retirement at the end of the season and I stayed on under Paulo Sousa although sadly he lost his job. And then came the manager I know well from his very first game from England."

As for his shock debut when at Charlton, he recalled: "I got five caps and eight squad call-ups, and that was five more caps and eight more squad call-ups I thought I would ever get. It sticks with you for the rest of your life.

"It was a special moment singing the national anthem before the Spain game at Villa Park. There is a picture where I am running and nutmeg Guardiola. I am sure he tells Messi and everyone in training at Barcelona that he got nutmegged by Chris Powell. Definitely."

Last edited:
Does he fancy playing tomorrow?

Eriksson reckons that Berner is a doubt and will play either Lammy or Neilson at left back.

Lol, What a joke!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670