Clubs banning the media

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I'm equally fed up of reporters asking pointless questions and trying to stir up shit where there is none to be stirred.

Doesn't look like that's the case here though, much more the club trying to squeeze what it no doubt euphemistically likes to call 'alternative revenue streams'

Doesn't look like that's the case here though, much more the club trying to squeeze what it no doubt euphemistically likes to call 'alternative revenue streams'
Their local media say they weren't given a reason why they were barred but neither was Stringer and we know what a cock he is. May not be the case but could well be.

The quality of articles written or broadcast isn't going to improve if no one talks to journalists.

Which other clubs have banned the media?

Gillingham banned the Medway News in 2011 and still maintains the ban even though the paper hasn't been published for at least a couple of years. The club are due to play Tonbridge Angels in the Kent Cup soon and initially banned a sister paper which reports on the Angels games although I understand that they have now relented and will allow them into the game.

Their local media say they weren't given a reason why they were barred but neither was Stringer.

Pretty sure he knows exactly why he was not spoken to, as do the whole of Radio Leicester

Will the ban be lifted under Claudio or is it a strict club wide ban where Stringer is concerned?

Will the ban be lifted under Claudio or is it a strict club wide ban where Stringer is concerned?
I assume it was club wide based on Stringer being the issue not Pearson. I can't imagine these media bans have much effect on the local community, I can't remember the last time the Mercury or RL did any kind of investigative article on the club that wasn't based almost solely on Ginetta speaking for the people.

The Mercury are the only outlet that still knows Ginetta exists.I'm struggling to work out why he exists but I've been in that situation since the mid 70s.

In the instance of Newcastle I can totally understand it. The Chronicle's main writer (Ryder) is an absolute bellend. Any article no matter how positive the subject has a sack the board/manager comment.

Channel 4 News 'banned' from Newcastle United press conference - because reporter wanted to ask about media bans
William Turvill 06 August 2015

Newcastle-Chelsea.JPG

A Channel 4 News reporter has condemned Newcastle United after he was "banned" from a press conference - because he wanted to ask about media bans.

Alex Thomson is planning a report on the subject after several journalists have recently spoken out about being "banned" by clubs.

In recent years, Newcastle has barred journalists from the local press and Telegraph. It has also been alleged that it has a "gagged" all media aside from the Mirror and Sky Sports.

Elsewhere, Glasgow Football Club recently banned a BBC reporter and Times columnist, and Blackpool and Swindon Town have also this summer forcibly distanced themselves from the press.

The National Union of Journalists wrote to Football Association chairman Greg Dyke last month asking him to intervene. He wrote in response, though, that he was powerless to do so.

Dyke said: "As a former journalist, censorship of the media is an issue about which I have strong personal views, and I agree with much of what you say.

"In this instance the Clubs are members of the Leagues in which they play and it is for their Leagues to set down requirements for the Clubs.

"I asked my team here to speak to the Leagues to check their positions and the Premier League and Football League both confirmed that beyond those media obligations which are placed upon a club via broadcasting agreements, it is up to the Club to decide its own engagement policy with the media.

"Unfortunately this is not within the power of The FA and I am sorry to not be able to offer you more help on this topic."

In a blog on the topic, Channel 4 News's Thomson wrote: "The current predicament of Channel 4 News says much about the bizarre ways of modern British football.

"We find ourselves banned today from a major football club because we wanted to ask about football clubs banning the media.

"The club? Why, Newcastle United of course – under Mike Ashley’s controversial control they have banned more journalists than any other club since 2007.

"Nowhere else in British public life is this kind of conduct tolerated."

He wrote this after being told he had been "banned" from attending a press conference. He tweeted yesterday:

Thomson, a Newcastle United fan, added: "Managing Director Lee Charnley admitted to the Telegraph that the aim is to 'control and reinforce the positive messages the club wished to deliver'.

"Except it doesn’t. Banning journalists opens a whole debate about free speech and a free media, rightly so. It makes the media redouble their scrutiny and causes yet more criticism, and rightly so. It makes the game’s “authorities” and the clubs look weak, cynical and paranoid, and rightly so."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566