Could Vardy be the inside left answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s coming to us
He’s coming to us
Harry Kane
He’s coming to us

Sounds good to me

You play your best goalscorer where he's most likely to score.

For some players, that is from a wide position (Salah, Sterling, Mane). For others, it is from a central position (Kane, Aguero, Vardy).

Vardy has played wide plenty. Most notably under Pearson and Hodgson. He was ineffective.

His record when played centrally and supplied properly is exceptional. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

my point is that i think where he is most likely to score iand create going forwards in quite a fluid front 3. Currently i think we are too rigid and almost prevent Vardy from inhabiting left and right channels. Time and time again he does well in the channels but there's no one in the box (or no striker) to make the most of it. My point is, perhaps there could be.....and then we would see Vardy with options when he is marauding in the gap between full back and centreback, which is pretty much where he lives.

This is the strangest thread I've seen on here for quite a while.

perhaps we should have match threads, signings and ex players threads alone!
I happened to want to discuss if Vardy could potentially be used like all of the top 6 are using players with similar attributes. Salah, Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang, Rashford, Richarlison, Kean are all played in the way i describe. only kane and aguero are played central striker in the way that we play Vardy, and i think that he shares more attributes in common with the first 6 than the last 2.
Not weird at all as a discussion point IMO.

my point is that i think where he is most likely to score iand create going forwards in quite a fluid front 3. Currently i think we are too rigid and almost prevent Vardy from inhabiting left and right channels. Time and time again he does well in the channels but there's no one in the box (or no striker) to make the most of it. My point is, perhaps there could be.....and then we would see Vardy with options when he is marauding in the gap between full back and centreback, which is pretty much where he lives.

One issue with this is that Vardy will be 33 soon.

He's already adjusted his game to allow for the fact that he has to play in spurts rather than full on. If you read the article I linked to it describes a player conserving himself, not rampaging about any more.

If he was 23, it might be worth trying but he's not. I think the way he and Rodgers use him currently is ideal.

perhaps we should have match threads, signings and ex players threads alone!
I happened to want to discuss if Vardy could potentially be used like all of the top 6 are using players with similar attributes. Salah, Mane, Sterling, Aubameyang, Rashford, Richarlison, Kean are all played in the way i describe. only kane and aguero are played central striker in the way that we play Vardy, and i think that he shares more attributes in common with the first 6 than the last 2.
Not weird at all as a discussion point IMO.
Very few teams have a striker who scores as many goals as Vardy. I have no problem looking at different options, but there are other areas of the team which may benefit more from trying other things. I find this a strange position to think about changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263