Cracked Thermostat Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Any of you lot a mechanic or know much about cars?

Last weekend my thermostat housing cracked so the coolant leaked out and my coolant warning light would come on about five miles after I'd filled the coolant resevoir back up.

The AA came out and used something called liquid metal to seal up the crack in the thermostat housing.

They also flushed a substance through the system that would find any cracks on the inside and fill them up.

I'm planning on driving to the lakes tonight. I just want to know how long the temporary fix is likely to last. Should it be ok for say 300 miles?

Any advice would be great.

p.s. The car is going into the garage on monday to be fitted with a new thermostat housing part but I want to get away this weekend.

no, just water. Should I add coolant?

Last edited:
Seriously Duzz, what do you reckon? It's not leaking anymore, the temperature has stayed fine, the coolant light hasn't come on and the coolant level has remained constant.

The AA man said that it'd be fine for a couple of weeks, the garage I took it too said that it could be fine for ages yet.

Seriously Duzz, what do you reckon? It's not leaking anymore, the temperature has stayed fine, the coolant light hasn't come on and the coolant level has remained constant.

The AA man said that it'd be fine for a couple of weeks, the garage I took it too said that it could be fine for ages yet.

I had a similar, though not identical, leak which the AA man fixed in the same way. He told me that it's be fine for a couple of weeks. It wasn't; it didn't last even a couple of days, left me stranded on the M1 (on a match day) and cost me a lot of money.

Personally I wouldn't risk it but it could well last ages to be fair.

Made it there and back by the way.

Battery is knackered now though.

Out of interest, if a load of water and coolant came into contact with the battery and the battery terminals etc, could this potentially break the battery? It just seems funny that after the AA man last week opened the coolant cap before letting it cool down meaning that a load of water and coolant spewed out over everything under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46