What is your argument exactly ?

Brian Clough, Bobby Robson, Kenny Dalglish, Martin O'Neill
Great players, great managers

Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Terry Venables
Average players, great managers

Frank McClintock, Bobby Charlton, Kevin Keegan
Great players, shite managers

What is the point ?

although a little exhausted now... the point being, why do fans call for people like Keown, Adams, Mcallister and the like to be manager when they have achieved nothing in terms of managerial success? I hope leicester don't fall for the 'appoint him 'cos he was a good player' candidate.

IMO there are managers in the lower league who warrant a crack at the leicester job because they have actually achieved something in management, whereas other candidates are just 'in the hat' because of their name.

Just like finding players there does not seam to be any quantifyable rules that can be applied when trying to recruit a good team manager. No matter what a managers past record has been, succesfull or not, when they move club there is no way of knowing if they will repeat the achievments they had in the past.

Even the best managers can move club and then screw up Gloughy going to Leeds is a typical example. so there is no quarantees PT and MA are both managers that should have been able to take city on. but both failed.

One thing Mr MON taught us is that the manager is the most important person in a club and though we are all impatient to find out who the next manager is going to be the board need to take there time to find the best possible person for the job. We are lucky to have the 2H's (however crap) to see us though the comming weeks.

I think they should go back to MON and ask him to finish what he started before, offer what ever money it takes to get him back. because long term, what ever they offer him, it will be less than the money other managers waist on crap players on silly money, and as a bonus we could win a bit of silverware.

crossroads

step wrote:
One thing Mr MON taught us is that the manager is the most important person in a club

Dead right mate. 5 million on Akinbadbuy .You could get a very good manager out of his contract for 1-2 mill.

23 million was what PT spent/ lost/ threw away, if they had gone to MON and said stay at city and we will give you 23million take what salary you want and spend what is left on players maybe he would have stayed.

DurhamFox said:
homer said:
Second class, or third class

First class!!. They have bags of experience have worked under the most respected and forward thiking manager in the country and would have the complete respect of the players. BBOOOOOOOOOMM!!

They have no experience of management worth talking about, Wycombe are doing rubbish, Keown has already upset players, where on earth do you get the opinion this would work from? Because they worked under Wenger? If that's qualification enough then we may as well get Nigel 'done nothing in my career anywhere close to my dad' Clough in huh?

Honestly. Knock one out and have a think about it. Keown and Robson maybe, Adams and Robson maybe. I think sometimes one can under estimate the job a manager does, I really do.

I agree with you Alex this decision of new manager will shape our clubs fortunes over the next 5 years, it is important we get it right. There is no gaurantee of success whoever is chosen but sometimes you can eliminate a large proportion of risk by employing somebody with a proven track record, is used to dealing with high profile players and most importantly will command respect from within the dressing room.

IMO we can ill afford to go down the road of employing an unproven rookie manager from the lower leagues or big name former player who is inexperienced as a manager . We have to avoid appointing somebody because of an emotional tidal wave of he is an ex player or he might be like MON.

IMO managers of the calibre of Hoddle, Graham, Strachan etc have to be top of our shortlist, lets be ambitious get the best available and give it a real go. We have the potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00