Crystal Palace Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all in what perspective you see a match from.

Travelling back to my son's place we ended up with a group of palace fans, who assumed we were too. Their view of the game was almost a mirror of what a lot are saying on here. They thought we looked really good, felt lucky to salvage a point, and to get away with the shove in Hume's back in the penalty area.

Then I undid my jacket and they were thoroughly embarassed to have admitted it.

One thing we all agreed on was that no-one could work out what the free kick & booking that led to their first goal was actually for.

I think there were a lot of positives from that game - the back 4 looked well organised most of the time. Clarke and Porter looked a really good combination down the left till Clark got the knock on his knee. Fulop looks a totally competent goalie, and his distribution was intelligent. I would say that only Sheehan had a really poor game.

There was a significant all-round improvement from last Saturday (and infinitely better than the same game last year!) and if that continues over the next couple of games we could be in for a good season.

So much better than that match last year. So much better.... I actually think the Palace away fixture is like my own litmus test of where we are as a team.

One shouldn't forget Palace were without a few - but then so were we (Kenton, Cort....ha ah aha ha).

Last edited:
So much better than that match last year. So much better.... I actually think the Palace away fixture is like my own litmus test of where we are as a team.

One shouldn't forget Palace were without a few - but then so were we (Kenton, Cort....ha ah aha ha).

There was a downside though, Alex. You forgot my ticket to paradise island. Despite my big placard saying "Alex is my toy boy" :icon_lol:

Travelling back to my son's place we ended up with a group of palace fans, who assumed we were too. Their view of the game was almost a mirror of what a lot are saying on here. They thought we looked really good, felt lucky to salvage a point, and to get away with the shove in Hume's back in the penalty area.

One thing we all agreed on was that no-one could work out what the free kick & booking that led to their first goal was actually for.

I think there were a lot of positives from that game - the back 4 looked well organised most of the time. Clarke and Porter looked a really good combination down the left till Clark got the knock on his knee. Fulop looks a totally competent goalie, and his distribution was intelligent. I would say that only Sheehan had a really poor game.

There was a significant all-round improvement from last Saturday (and infinitely better than the same game last year!) and if that continues over the next couple of games we could be in for a good season.

:038:

It's unfortunate most only see a 2-2 draw and a last minute goal.

View attachment 1964

I actually think the Palace away fixture is like my own litmus test of where we are as a team.

I think every game is a test of where we are.

To draw at Palace is a very decent result and with so many changes in the set up it was almost certain that early performances would be inconsistent and hopefully that the pattern would be one of steadily improving results.

However, in my opinion it is much too early to have firm opinions about where things will go - tho' I think that most of us have been guilty of over-expectations.

If we happen to lose to Watford next Saturday then the gloom will be as OTT as celebrating a draw yesterday.

"One thing we all agreed on was that no-one could work out what the free kick & booking that led to their first goal was actually for".

Paddy had a massive tug on Morrisons shirt as he got caught the wrong side of him on the edge of the area. In fairness i think he was stitched up a little by Mcauley who had failed to deal with a high ball just in front of him.

When the ref went for his pocket i thought as Paddy was arguably our last man the prat might pull the red out. Paddy just wasn't very subtle on this one, i think old Mcarthey used to like a regular tug of an opponents shirt. Maybe it's a club technique???

just as a footnote....I hadn't attended the match; hadn't even heard the normally brain dumbing RL match commentary or football results, so the first thing I caught was a bit into MA's RL post match interview, when the actual score was not mentioned.

I assumed from what he was saying in eulogy of the team that we had won the game! So got a bit of a disappointment when i got home and looked at teletext.

His style may excite some but in my opinion he is way OTT and if things don't work out or take longer to gel than we all hope then his manner is definitely going ot wear thin and rebound on him. And the very people who are now rubbing their hands that we have picked up an away point will be amongst the first to get upset.

just as a footnote....I hadn't attended the match; hadn't even heard the normally brain dumbing RL match commentary or football results, so the first thing I caught was a bit into MA's RL post match interview, when the actual score was not mentioned.

I assumed from what he was saying in eulogy of the team that we had won the game! So got a bit of a disappointment when i got home and looked at teletext.

His style may excite some but in my opinion he is way OTT and if things don't work out or take longer to gel than we all hope then his manner is definitely going ot wear thin and rebound on him. And the very people who are now rubbing their hands that we have picked up an away point will be amongst the first to get upset.

yes we got a point but throw 2 away so if i was him i would not be so happy :018:

Last edited:
My View:

Fulop 7 - Look good and solid on his debut.
N'Gotty 6 - Pretty decent at the back, solid.
McAuley 4 - Made few too many errors yesterday.
Kisnorbo 7 - Great performance, gave 100%, shame about his defending on there first goal.
Clarke 7 - Steady debut, picked out some good 20 yard balls.
Sheehan 4 - Played to high up the pitch and wasnt using all the width.
Newton 3 - Shocking, made some excellent runs and then always tried to take them all on.
Wesolowski 6 - Average performance.
Clemence 6 - Needs to boss the middle a bit better.
De Vries 5 - Too slow, made some good flicks and held the ball up well but wasted to much time with it also.
Campbell 7 - Made some great quick runs and mixed the defenders up, still not 100% though.

Shame to score in the 87th min then concede in the last min. Still happy with the draw away at Palace.

Saw Nottingham Fox and Real Sharapova in the eating area and OldGit going out of the ground.

Porter 7
Hume 7

Last edited:
So what team would those that were there yesterday pick for Watford?

I would play

Fulop
Chambers Ngotty Kisnorbo Clarke

Clemence Weso Porter

Hume

Fryatt DJ

A bold line up but this may lend itself to a bit more variety of movement. The onus would be on the full backs to push up a lot more as both Clem and Weso would anchor. Hume and Porter would be encouraged in turn to get beyond the strikers and pull defenders away from Fryatt and DJ.

I have picked Fryatt as really do beleive he is capable of running the line and has a far more imaganitive footballing brain than that demonstrated by MDV yesterday.

Didn't manage to go or hear the RL commentary, but after talking last night & this morning to a few who went the general feeling was that we looked far better in the second half after MDV got took off. The opinion was that he contributed very little and there was far more movement up front after Hume replaced him. Disappointment also with Newton, although he had a lot of the ball nothing creative ever seemed to come of it. Clemence & Weso did well in midfield with Clemence edging MOTM ahead of Kisnorbo. Pretty solid at the back but a few errors by MaCauley. One positive comment was that it was good to see a proper left back at last. All were unhappy about the result but said they would have settled for that before the kick off.

Last edited:
So what team would those that were there yesterday pick for Watford?

Cech... oops i mean Fulop

Chambers
NGotty
Kisnorbo
Clarke

New player who plays right wing
Clemence
New players who can play centre midfielder
Levi

Campbell
Hume

Subs: