Dabhand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Elsby

Who do the fans think is City's best central defence pairing?
I ask because I'm still apprehensive whenever Dabizas plays. I always feel we'll concede a goal, always feel he'll have a sloppy moment or two and yet wonder if I'm being unfair.
Yes, I know, Heathy makes his mistakes, but he counterbalances them with a goal or two at the other end, he's young and improving, he's dominant in the air and it's only his lack of pace that bothers me.
With Dabizas I'm not 100 per cent sure what it is that bothers me. Reminds me of the rhyme "I do not like the Dr Fell the reason why I cannot tell etc...
A play-off place remains possible but ever less likely so would Stearman/Heath represent the way forward or am I showing more faith in youth than is justified. What do others think?

heath & fat matt

Heath and Matty... both are commanding and communicates with each other... I don't think Dabizas' heart is at the club, only concerned with picking up his wages and isnt that committed at all...

best central defence

Against Wigan next week we will need pace above everything else(something we dont currently have!)
Failing that CL may play 3 central defenders, one being Stearman, who is probably the quickest of a slow bunch

Tony Elsby said:
Who do the fans think is City's best central defence pairing?
I ask because I'm still apprehensive whenever Dabizas plays. I always feel we'll concede a goal, always feel he'll have a sloppy moment or two and yet wonder if I'm being unfair.
Yes, I know, Heathy makes his mistakes, but he counterbalances them with a goal or two at the other end, he's young and improving, he's dominant in the air and it's only his lack of pace that bothers me.
With Dabizas I'm not 100 per cent sure what it is that bothers me. Reminds me of the rhyme "I do not like the Dr Fell the reason why I cannot tell etc...
A play-off place remains possible but ever less likely so would Stearman/Heath represent the way forward or am I showing more faith in youth than is justified. What do others think?

Dabizas was a liability at Newcastle & no different here; Matty is now slower than slow and has lost the compensatory value of being a threat at set pieces - so either Heath/ Keown(when fit enough) or Heath/Stearman - with Dublin on the bench as cover for both upfront/ central defence.

But the biggest problem is that we don't score many goals anymore - so for me the priority has to be to try to find another striker & of course akeeper - the pieman has done his best & as well as could have been reasonably expected - but he's not good enough anymore to play at this level.

Maybe Dublin and Heath, i know dublin has been shite but he played well in defence each time he played and would give us some presence at set pieces that we do not currnetly have.

Re: best central defence

dpjfox said:
Failing that CL may play 3 central defenders, one being Stearman,
I don't think we should throw Stearmen into a big game like this though i feel the plymouth game is ideal to give him a chance

Maybe the sweeper system would work well.

If we are to play with a sweeper can I suggest we get Marlon Broomes in on loan.

highland fox said:
If we are to play with a sweeper can I suggest we get Marlon Broomes in on loan.

You can suggest all you want mate. I think Basil Brush would make an ideal sweeper. Boom boom.

Dabizas fills me with fear everytime the opposition attack, he either gives a free kick away or wins the ball and gives it back to them.

However with what we have its almost Hobsons Choice, but a 3 of Stearman, Heath and Keown with Keown playing sweeper and talking the young ones through might work.

step said:
Heath and Keown would be my choise.

Totally agree, with Stearman as back up, would like to see him get a few games this season so he can be blooded for next season, potentially Stearman and Heath could be our central defensive partnership for the next 5 - 10 years.

I think Heath has improved greatly this season and if he can keep this improvement going could well be the lynchpin of our team and definately a future captain.

If he want's a young side then it's got to be Heath and Stearman, and get Keown to coach them.....but i wouldn't chuck stearman straight in at the deep end. Heath and Keown to start with Stearman coming on for Keown as a second half sub

Joe_Fox said:
highland fox said:

You can suggest all you want mate. I think Basil Brush would make an ideal sweeper. Boom boom.

Agreed, look at him...he'd strike fear into the heart of any attacker charging at him. Born leader, and his allegance to the foxes couldn't be questioned :)

circlebasil.jpg

Makes Keown look sexy!

SilverFox said:
Joe_Fox said:
highland fox said:

Agreed, look at him...he'd strike fear into the heart of any attacker charging at him. Born leader, and his allegance to the foxes couldn't be questioned :)

circlebasil.jpg

Makes Keown look sexy!

I wouldn't go that far. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675