David Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously doubt Pearson will let Benitez pick his team for him.

Prem players are loaned out as part of their football education, not to get them off the wage bill.

Its common now that if a player is used only as back up his club either take him back or move the loan.

Teams stopped sending players to us last season as the muppet ended the careers of all who entered.

I'm sure Pearson has done his homework

If we have three players (Martin, Gilbert and Hobbs) who expect to play every week, then I foresee problems. Firstly, there seems little incentive to train hard: they're in the team anyway and, secondly, a player in the squad in those positions has no chance of making the first team, however hard they work.
I cannot argue that this may well be in their contracts, but I hope Pearson treats it lightly - even at the risk of losing the loanee.

If Martin is here purely as cover then I see no point in him being here,we may as well have Fatty Logan.I'd expect Martin to be pushing Henderson very hard for a starting place

Last edited:
If Martin is here purely as cover then I see no point in him being here,we may as well have Fatty Logan.I'd expect Martin to be pushing Henderson very hard for a starting place

He won't have to wait long

The first corner against MKDons should seal his place in the next starting line up

He won't have to wait long

The first corner against MKDons should seal his place in the next starting line up

Hendo conceded hardly any last season that was not the fault of the crumbling midfield/defence in front of him.

I hope he manages to achieve many clean sheets in a row and keep Martin on the bench!

Honestly, what a bunch of cynics. I expected better of TBers! :icon_wink

I'm not gonna say Henderson is a great keeper because clearly he isn't but I do think he is a solid keeper that will be more than reliable at this level. He is no Marton Fulop but thankfully he is no Ben Alnwick either.

Personally I don't care who is in goal for us as long as he is the best man for the job. I have no doubt that Henderson will start on Saturday, given that Martin has just joined us but after that let the best man have the position. Clearly Martin has potential. As mentioned previously, Liverpool would not have him on a long-term contract if they did not see something in him. That being said, just because he, and Hobbs and Gilbert come from 'top four' teams does not automatically mean they are 'stars'. Let's give all of them a fair go with no pre-conceived ideas other than those gained form watching Hobbs and Gilbert in pre-season.

Anyone who seriously thinks they will be 'guaranteed' their starting place should lay off the old spirits for a while. Gilbert was not guaranteed his place at Cardiff. I'm happy we have made this signing. I have zero faith in Conrad Logan's ability and I guess I am trusting Nigel Pearson's judgement on Martin. I know pre-season doesn't really mean anything but it looks like so far, so good with his signings.

I'm not gonna say Henderson is a great keeper because clearly he isn't but I do think he is a solid keeper that will be more than reliable at this level. He is no Marton Fulop but thankfully he is no Ben Alnwick either.

Personally I don't care who is in goal for us as long as he is the best man for the job. I have no doubt that Henderson will start on Saturday, given that Martin has just joined us but after that let the best man have the position. Clearly Martin has potential. As mentioned previously, Liverpool would not have him on a long-term contract if they did not see something in him. That being said, just because he, and Hobbs and Gilbert come from 'top four' teams does not automatically mean they are 'stars'. Let's give all of them a fair go with no pre-conceived ideas other than those gained form watching Hobbs and Gilbert in pre-season.

Anyone who seriously thinks they will be 'guaranteed' their starting place should lay off the old spirits for a while. Gilbert was not guaranteed his place at Cardiff. I'm happy we have made this signing. I have zero faith in Conrad Logan's ability and I guess I am trusting Nigel Pearson's judgement on Martin. I know pre-season doesn't really mean anything but it looks like so far, so good with his signings.

good post:038:

Hendo conceded hardly any last season that was not the fault of the crumbling midfield/defence in front of him.

I hope he manages to achieve many clean sheets in a row and keep Martin on the bench!

Honestly, what a bunch of cynics. I expected better of TBers! :icon_wink

If Martin is kept on the bench all the time I expect him to be recalled.Theres no point in him being here if he isn't going to see any first team action

Last edited:
If Martin is kept on the bench all the time I expect him to be recalled.Theres no point in him being here if he isn't going to see any first team action
But we've got Premier League training facilities and top notch academy system.

Indeed whilst Liverpool's is rubbish and he would learn so much more off Henderson than he would Reina
Spot on H, spot on. Mike Stowell is also thought of as preferential to Jose Ochotorena when it comes to coaching the promising youngster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669