Dion Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooster - U21 International - got no hair and we don't care- Russell! All effort and low ability - but we loved him! Anyway Alex do you remember that chant? I've always been curious. It must have been really 'off', I'll never forget the look of horror on Dion's face went it first went up.

Speaking of opposing players that have been given a hard time at the Filbo's does anyone remember the young Robbie Fowler in our first season in The Prem?

He was given the treatment by the ol' pen in the kop next to the away fans. Didn't faze him. He nonchalantly put away a penalty (we lost 2-1) and he then did a moony!

Until our arrival at The Walkers that was the only time I've seen every Koppite lost for words. I waited for days to see if someone would report the incident but the Scouse scally got away with it.

If Les cant play then he would be a good signing but not needed if Les is fit for next year

alex said:
Great post Oadby, I remember that night so well, Ooo Tommy Wright...Rooster....bloody magic stuff....night of dreams that!

simon grayson dribbling into the penalty area to help set up thommo's goal! wasn't grayson playing centre-mid at the time?

i remember on the highlights they were so busy showing the 3rd goal that the only part of the 4th goal you saw was the ball being touched past the keeper :)

i also remember dublin had a chess-board haircut that night.

SamJ

Oadby Fox said:
I remember it VERY well Slyfox. It was one of the most disgraceful episodes ever witnessed at the Old Filbo. Except the disgrace wasn't Dion's it was OURS (the Kop's to be precise).

We were playing Cambridge United in the second leg of the pay off semi final. During the warm-up the Kop decided to give the Burnmoor Boy its own special 'welcome.' I couldn't quite catch the chant 'Dion, Dion der der der.' It was accompanied by a lot of finger jabbing, it was very loud and it sort of went on forever. Right up to the final whistle in fact.

At that time I didn't know that Dion was the local boy playing against the club that rejected him. And, to be frank, a lot of people interpreted the chanting as racist (I numbered myself amomgst them). What I did know for sure is that it really upset him (the angst was all over his face whenever he came into the box for corners).

The tactic worked. Dion was psyched out of the game. Cambridge held their own territorially and in terms of possession but they made crucial mistakes which we exploited- we broke away five times and put each of the chances away - 5 - 0! True, not a word of a lie! One of the weirdest games I have ever seen.

I've often thought about the treatment Dion got that night, particularly when speculation arises about him playing for us. I would be very surprised if he came here, because it was a very painful experience for him.

If he did decide to play out his career here, he'd be the biggest player I've ever seen. And we would owe him ONE MASSIVE F*CKING APOLOGY.

That answered your query Slyfox?

The chanting started before that. Several articles featuring Dion which could have been said to have been negative towards LCFC appeared around the time of the league home game against Cambridge. Less fans were at this game (although I numbered myself amongst them :wink: ) than the playoff, so the crowd was obviously less vocal and excitable, but non the less the chanting was heard. Racist???

Great memories on that night, something has been lacking over the past 4 years.

i hold my hands up i did not realise that was what was all the fuss was about,i was in the double decker stand, best game i ever witnessed at the old filbo,i really thought they were going to beat us after witnessing the drubbing at the abbey stadium earlier in the season,dion dublin for the foxes :D

Oadby Fox said:
He was given the treatment by the ol' pen in the kop next to the away fans. Didn't faze him. He nonchalantly put away a penalty (we lost 2-1) and he then did a moony!

Until our arrival at The Walkers that was the only time I've seen every Koppite lost for words. I waited for days to see if someone would report the incident but the Scouse scally got away with it.

I thought he went up before the F.A for that? Remember going to Anfield that season when we were already down, City fans started "Robbie show us your arse", He had a good laugh.

lazzer said:
San said:
My uncle knows Dion's brother, and ive met Dion myself and i think he's a model professional. He's got a brilliant personality and he's a fantastic individual!

his brother is drummer in local band stonepark and he is a top bloke

Yeh! Eddie his name!! :wink:

Good to see some nostalgia merchants on this site - it's what it used to be like.

Mr Smith I am not saying that the chanting directed at Dublin was racist - it was the impression that I and others had at the time. It put me in mind a bit (but not quite as bad) of the barracking that the Kop dished out to Gary Linekers alter ego, Mr Mark Bright.

Now call me Pontius Pilate but I always had the distinct impression that Mr Bright was (after Sticks) the biggest stiff to ever wear the holy blue. But according to that fossilized fox Mr Paul Taylor, well known local high priest of footie PCness, the Kop's own unique brand of encouragement was, and I quote directly, 'sadly racist.'

Mr Paul Taylor are you 'Innocent' (of this charge?)?

Having watched City for 25 years, I've not got any great memory of any racist chants, although granted the first 5-8 years of those games would have meant I wouldn't have recognised them if they happened.

My lasting impression of Mark Bright was him scoring 2 on the first game of the season against Lineker's New Club Everton. A great volley one of them I seem to remember. I think that was the season we beat man utd and Robert Kelly scored a cracking chip as well, but it might well have been the season after!

Dion Dublin will not play for LCFC next season - no chance.

Joe_Fox said:

I know, would be nice though :wink: :)

buzzer_b said:
Joe_Fox said:

I know, would be nice though :wink: :)

Depends how you look at it - through obscured glass yes, otherwise sadly it would be ming.

Foxes join Dublin hunt May 16 2004

Dion Dublin is a target for Leicester City after being released by Aston Villa this week.

The striker has already been strongly linked with Coventry City as new boss Peter Reid aims to raise the Sky Blues’ profile.

But Leicester’s Micky Adams is also interested and could be one of a number of bosses looking to hire Dublin for next season.

Leicester are likely to lose several players this summer following their relegation from the Premiership and Adams would welcome the experience that Dublin would bring to the Walkers Stadium.

Dublin was let go by Villa on Friday along with Ronny Johnsen and it seems as though the former England striker was not entirely happy with manager David O’Leary’s decision. At the end-of-season awards dinner, Dublin won the Clubman of the Year award and thanked the table where the Villa coaches were seated for believing in him. O’Leary was not at that table and Dublin’s words were seen as a veiled attack on the manager.

But O’Leary praised the efforts of Dublin who had been at Villa for six years.

“The way he conducts himself is phenomenal,” said O’Leary.

“I think he can do a job for the right club. I think he would suit a Division One club - he would get more time there, and he would do a great job for someone who wanted to get their club up.”

Pure speculation. Just because O'Leary indicated he could do a job for a First Division side looking to get promotion, they have used us as an interested club.......

It will never happen, especially after hearing and reading how Dublin feels about Leicester.

If Dion signs for Leciester I'll eat my hat.

Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:

I hope you don't own a soldier helmet :lol:

I put Leciester Malf. Aint gonna happen. :wink:

Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:
Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:

I hope you don't own a soldier helmet :lol:

I put Leciester Malf. Aint gonna happen. :wink:

I've heard otherwise mate.

Surely listening to any Wise is a bad move Malf, let alone Other Wise - he's almost as bad as Dennis.

Paul mace made it clear on the phone in that Dion Dublins brother had said Dion would really like to play for leicester!!!!!

Best get ready to eat your hat ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366