Director Of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
bocadillo said:
That was the evening I had in mind. Yes, we were top of the Prem but anybody who thought that points were the most important thing was deluding himself.

Quite - I think many of us realised that at the time.

However, it's a far cry to being in a flattering situation at the top of the Prmiership to where we are now.

I acknowledge that CL has done some good things. I think we all do, but if he was director of football he would only get in the way of what will need to be a rapid salvage operation.

The board should seek to find someone who will command respect and be willing to come in on a short term basis as a consultant and who will try to give the players the confidence to play to their abilities and the motivation to win what is still a very winnable battle - things CL just doesn't appear to be able to do.

Redditch Fox said:
Quite - I think many of us realised that at the time.

Whenever it was realised, it does show that points on the board are not the most important thing - just as they are not the only important thing today.

I think it would be a tragedy if we were to throw away what CL has given us. I don't see why you presume that he would get in the way if somebody came in to do with the players what he doesn't seem able to do. That way, we could have the best of both worlds - a DoF who can get together what most agree is a decent bunch of players and a coach who can actually motivate them.

bocadillo said:
Whenever it was realised, it does show that points on the board are not the most important thing - just as they are not the only important thing today.

It shows that points are not always a reflection of a teams ability, (although even Fergusson said we were there on merit at the time) i never believed we would stay top, but the team was playing well and i felt at the time that Europe was a realistic acheivement. but thats not important now.

but to use that as evidence that points aren't important? :102:

if we hadn't got those points at the beginning of that season we may well have been relegated that year. i would say they were very important.

Its just a shame that Taylor continued his distruction of the team, another manager may have been able to build on it.

Last edited:
Feriol said:
It shows that points are not always a reflection of a teams ability, (although even Fergusson said we were there on merit at the time) i never believed we would stay top, but the team was playing well and i felt at the time that Europe was a realistic acheivement. but thats not important now.

but to use that as evidence that points aren't important? :102:

I didn't. I only say that points are not the *most* or *only* important thing - although they do come in handy and some wold certainly come in handy now. What CL was asked to do and what he has done is important as well.

On balance I worry more about the club going out of existence than I do about whom we play and in which division.

bocadillo said:
I didn't. I only say that points are not the *most* or *only* important thing - although they do come in handy and some wold certainly come in handy now. What CL was asked to do and what he has done is important as well.

On balance I worry more about the club going out of existence than I do about whom we play and in which division.

sorry mis-read.

even so, i doubt that the board would have asked him to reduce the wage bill and age of the squad and it not matter about flirting with relegation.

The pottential that we have is far greater now i would agree, but unrealised pottential is no good to anyone.

'points make prizes' as it were.

It's a no from me, bringing in a Director of Football seldom achieves anything and is just window dressing and masking over the problem.

Feriol said:
sorry mis-read.

even so, i doubt that the board would have asked him to reduce the wage bill and age of the squad and it not matter about flirting with relegation.

The pottential that we have is far greater now i would agree, but unrealised pottential is no good to anyone.

'points make prizes' as it were.

I absolutely agree with that. My anxiety is that we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath-water. What he has given us is too good to lose.

bocadillo said:
I absolutely agree with that. My anxiety is that we need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath-water. What he has given us is too good to lose.
do you not think that by being relegated it would undo the good work he has done?

what good work, levein said it himself he is here to win games, he isnt winning games and has thus failed.

if he isnt winning games the rest is completely irrelevant I am afraid so lets not delude ourselves.

Chrysalis said:
what good work, levein said it himself he is here to win games, he isnt winning games and has thus failed.

if he isnt winning games the rest is completely irrelevant I am afraid so lets not delude ourselves.
this was kinda the point I was making but I believe that he has done good work in reducing the age of the squad, brining on the youth program, reducing the wage bill and some other bits that Im sure others will mention.

It was mentioned at the weekend that Souness at Newcastle was not intending to walk out on the Geordies ,which is not what their fans wanted to hear. Newcastle would have to pay quite a sum if they wanted to sack him , so it was suggested that they remove him from managing the team into a clerical role . The hope then is that he will resign rather than have a naff job playing second fiddle to a new manager, and still have half of geordieland on his back. I just wondered if we could eliminate CL in the same way.

bocadillo said:
I think it would be a tragedy if we were to throw away what CL has given us. I don't see why you presume that he would get in the way if somebody came in to do with the players what he doesn't seem able to do. That way, we could have the best of both worlds - a DoF who can get together what most agree is a decent bunch of players and a coach who can actually motivate them.

Getting rid of Levein does not involve losing the decent younger players he has brought in so we would be throwing nothing away.

I would have thought that Levein is not at the stage of his career when he would want to be a director of football.

The general view is that - in the English game - the role of director of football is usually a cop out when there are contractual reasons for not giving someone the outright sack and/ or a club wants to gently phase someone out.

I can't imagine keeping Levein around the club would be good for LCFC or Levein himself. I am sure that he would be happier in Bonnie Scotland.

Brauny Blue said:
It was mentioned at the weekend that Souness at Newcastle was not intending to walk out on the Geordies ,which is not what their fans wanted to hear. Newcastle would have to pay quite a sum if they wanted to sack him , so it was suggested that they remove him from managing the team into a clerical role . The hope then is that he will resign rather than have a naff job playing second fiddle to a new manager, and still have half of geordieland on his back. I just wondered if we could eliminate CL in the same way.

I think the courts call it 'constructive dismissal':icon_sad:

Changing the employee's job content or terms without consultation. Is seen as constuctive dismissal and therefore would not be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669