Disillusionment

KetteringPete2

I have been disillusioned with football for some time. Senior football at least, and I had to jot down why. Then it kinda ended up in this essay. I don't know if anyone else feels like this but I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for indulging me....

Football, I Want a Divorce.

You know, we first met in 1969, a chance encounter that ignited a passion that would last a lifetime—or so I thought. Our affair became serious after that thrilling 2-2 draw at Leicester City against Leeds in 1973. You captured my heart, and Leicester City became my club in your exhilarating, unpredictable world.

You were everything I wanted: exciting, fast-paced, thrilling, and enthralling. And cheap! You were my weekend escape, my midweek daydream, my reason for living from one matchday to the next. I loved our rituals—the anticipation of boarding the coach, meeting up with mates, parking outside the Leicester Working Men’s Club, and downing a pre-match pint with a tray of mushy peas and mint sauce. Then off we’d go, piling into Pen 3 behind the goal at my beloved Filbert Street, always just before 3 o’clock. A frantic 45p at the turnstiles and a sprint up the steps—I could already hear the roar of the crowd, our fans shouting for the team we loved, and I’d shove my way in, eyes darting up to the gantry to see if the cameras were there, hoping to relive it all on BBC’s Match of the Day or ITV’s The Big Match.

And when we won? Oh, the Saturday nights out were electric—pints clinking, jukeboxes blaring, the sweet taste of victory lingering long after the last call.

Away games were their own brand of madness: up and down the motorways in a coach that rattled like a tin can, blue and white scarves flapping through the windows, jeering at rival fans like we were Spartans on the battlefield, and always, always that desperate bladder-busting race for the nearest loo when we finally spilled off the coach. But who cared? A programme in my hand, change left over from £2.00, and the thrill of knowing we were all in it together.

I was just 17 when you seduced me. Since then we’ve been through so much together: the ups and downs of relegation, the heartbreak of losing cup semi-finals and play-off finals, even one occasion, clawing our way back from 3-0 down. But we kept fighting. We finally won a play-off, clambering our way to the promised land of the Premier League. There were glorious League Cup final wins, and then the humiliating tumble to the third division. But we fought back, didn’t we? All the way to the top.

And then, against all odds, against every pundit and naysayer and even my own cynical heart—Leicester City, my Leicester City, became champions of England. It was the dream I never dared dream, the greatest love story in football history. We had a European adventure that left us all giddy and proud, followed a few years later by FA Cup glory. It was magical. We were invincible.

But even in those halcyon days, I sensed something was wrong. You started turning away, didn’t you? You found a new lover. Television. No longer could I just rock up to a game and pay at the gate. Everything became all-ticket, a hassle, a scramble, a ritual for the privileged few who could jump through the hoops. But you didn’t care. You were too busy cosying up to the cameras, doing everything to keep your new partner happy.

Gate prices skyrocketed from 45p in 1973 to £35.00 a ticket. Even allowing for inflation, it should only be £8.50 or thereabouts. What happened, football? We’ve had our share of tragedies, but this feels like robbery.

And you’re obsessed with pleasing your new fan. You’ve sold your soul to the devil’s TV Guide. You’ve slapped distracting moving electronic ads around the pitch—eyesores that light up like tacky Las Vegas slot machines. Matches are still all-ticket. I can’t just decide on a whim to go; I have to sign up to some soulless website, book days in advance, and wave goodbye to spontaneity. Kick-off times change at the drop of a hat, all for the demands of TV. Once, all was sacred at 3pm on a Saturday. Now, it’s a scattergun of times, as erratic as a toddler’s sleep schedule. And what’s with the after-goal jingles? Fans don’t need a soundtrack to know when to cheer!

But the final straw—the nail in the coffin of our relationship—is VAR. It’s destroying you, but you can’t even see it, can you? Back in the day, the scoring of a goal was a euphoric eruption, a spontaneous combustion of joy. Thirty thousand people united in a moment of shared ecstasy, a collective roar that could shake the heavens. That’s what it was all about. That’s what we paid our money for. And now, thanks to VAR, those moments are dissected, delayed, and drained of their soul. We sit, waiting, wondering, then celebrating tentatively—only to have our joy snatched away by an invisible hand drawing lines on a screen. That magical, unfiltered moment is gone.

So, football, at least premiership and league football, I’ve had enough. I’m done. I want a divorce. I’ll always look back fondly at what we had, but my Saturdays are beginning to belong to non-league football. No VAR. No irritating adverts. No players pocketing £100,000 or more a game while barely breaking a sweat. No, I’m packing my bags, and by the time you read this, I’ll be gone.

Goodbye, football. I wish you well, but I’m moving on. But I probably won't.

KP2, you have put it (above) so eloquently.

There are many many men who feel the same about a partner that, several years ago, we could never imagine leaving or splitting from. We won't change, we are great together, this is how it will always be - simple.

And, in time, things change (not generally for the better - it didn't need improvement). You don't think that you've changed much but your partner certainly has.

I am, more importantly, still with the wonderful wife I married 32 years ago.

Football though?
You used to be apart of the family. You are now in a different world. I still look out for what you are doing, but what you want and do doesn't seem to tally with what I want. You're still there, but I wish you were who you used to be.

Wow, you've been reading my mind.

Yep, modern day football is all abit wank.

Almost everything is worse than it was 20 years ago. I'm sure these backslides are common in human history, but it definitely feels like we are in one.

Honestly, I feel like football is seriously in danger of killing what makes it special.

The American ownership of many EPL clubs has resulted in ultra capitalism taking hold in a way that 10 years ago only Man United were guilty of.

La Liga looks like it's ahead of the EPL in selling it's soul - the dynamic pricing of Valencia and their desperation to take league football out of the country and to the US is the start of a very slippery slope indeed and we'll more than likely be victims of it soon enough.

Are you more or less disillusioned with the decision on the points deduction?
Disillusioned it happened in the first place. The FPR seems to me to be an anti competitive rule. Surely it's a business's right to borrow/overdraw as they see fit to compete with other businesses in their industry? I'm no lawyer but I have often wondered if the fair play rules couldn't be challenged under the competition act 1988. But they probably can't. Anyway. Glad that that seems to be over.

Almost everything is worse than it was 20 years ago. I'm sure these backslides are common in human history, but it definitely feels like we are in one.
This one is permanent unless there's a worldwide societal collapse & rebuild.

It took the complete disintegration of the entire order of the world through 2 global wars & the great depression to give us the post 1950s world we all grew up in. That effect is now over, replaced by the post cold war triumph of ultra capitalism & the consequent rise of right wing politics & economic theories.

The real " great reset " is a long term plan to return everything to the realities of the 19th century.

The vast majority of the population having **** all money, **** all opportunity & **** all representation. Just like the good old days. Just like everything was for literally centuries.

The 2nd half of the 20th century was without doubt the greatest moment in history for people born without wealth. Probably the ONLY great moment.

It's over & it's not being repeated. It only took 50 years for the people who benefitted from it to hand it all back. Without a fight. Willingly. Falling for the lies of the ****s who wanted to turn back the clock.

My mate Dave Whittle (RIP) probably put it best in 1988/89 :

" Congratulations on buying your ****ing council house. You got a fabulous deal & you're rightly pleased.
Hopefully you'll still be around to explain to your grandchildren why they're homeless "

The room he addressed that comment to ripped him to pieces & called him a deluded ****.

Summed up by one bloke laughing at him & declaring that only a ****ing idiot leftie could think that homelessness would ever be an issue in Britain again.
We were heading for a golden age & we'd all be working part time by the year 2000 thanks to the passive income from our shareholdings & competition forcing the price of electric, gas & water down to virtually nothing.
Which also meant we'd all be able to buy a house, council or otherwise, so public housing would simply be unnecessary & quietly disappear into history like poorhouses & domestic service.

It's a tragedy that Dave didn't live to ask that bloke who the ****ing idiot was now.

The rest of it is a tragedy for all of us.

It took the complete disintegration of the entire order of the world through 2 global wars & the great depression to give us the post 1950s world we all grew up in. That effect is now over, replaced by the post cold war triumph of ultra capitalism & the consequent rise of right wing politics & economic theories.

The real " great reset " is a long term plan to return everything to the realities of the 19th century.

The vast majority of the population having **** all money, **** all opportunity & **** all representation. Just like the good old days. Just like everything was for literally centuries.

The 2nd half of the 20th century was without doubt the greatest moment in history for people born without wealth. Probably the ONLY great moment.

It's over & it's not being repeated. It only took 50 years for the people who benefitted from it to hand it all back. Without a fight. Willingly. Falling for the lies of the ****s who wanted to turn back the clock.

" Congratulations on buying your ****ing council house. You got a fabulous deal & you're rightly pleased.
Hopefully you'll still be around to explain to your grandchildren why they're homeless "

The room he addressed that comment to ripped him to pieces & called him a deluded ****.

Summed up by one bloke laughing at him & declaring that only a ****ing idiot leftie could think that homelessness would ever be an issue in Britain again.
We were heading for a golden age & we'd all be working part time by the year 2000 thanks to the passive income from our shareholdings & competition forcing the price of electric, gas & water down to virtually nothing.
Which also meant we'd all be able to buy a house, council or otherwise, so public housing would simply be unnecessary & quietly disappear into history like poorhouses & domestic service.

It's a tragedy that Dave didn't live to ask that bloke who the ****ing idiot was now.

oof. That's a bit too true isn't it - painful

If I take my own position living in London as an example and without detail. Post Covid I have only worked 50% of the time due to “restructures” and so forth. I earn decent money along with my partner and benefited from low interest rates.

When not working in the industry I trained for I took minimum wage jobs just to keep my sanity. I have probably “lost” £100k of salary in that time.

Pre Covid we could just about survive on one salary, post Covid we could only survive on both our salaries plus an influx of £1,500PM.

Savings gone, and now we are selling our house to keep us afloat. We were ****ed by the “system” post 2020 and the Labour Party and going to make most people even worse off again.

If I take my own position living in London as an example and without detail. Post Covid I have only worked 50% of the time due to “restructures” and so forth. I earn decent money along with my partner and benefited from low interest rates.

When not working in the industry I trained for I took minimum wage jobs just to keep my sanity. I have probably “lost” £100k of salary in that time.

Pre Covid we could just about survive on one salary, post Covid we could only survive on both our salaries plus an influx of £1,500PM.

Savings gone, and now we are selling our house to keep us afloat. We were ****ed by the “system” post 2020 and the Labour Party and going to make most people even worse off again.
Party politics is pretty much irrelevant now & has been since the 90s. The reason I don't hold out any hope in that direction is that what we've seen is the replacement of ineptitude & corruption with a simple return to the norm. There's no ideological shift. The basic policies around "fiscal rules" are unchanged.

The "system" that you refer to operates outside of party politics as there is no longer an ideological divide. Just a difference in details. The bankrupt notion of endless "growth" is adhered to by everyone so nothing will change. The immensely rich benefit from the way things are,so thats the way they'll stay.

Meanwhile of course, they'll use their massive platforms to blame everyone & everything else for it & keep us all boiling mad at the wrong people. Or the wrong institutions. Or some ludicrous conspiracy theory.

The Labour Party that I joined in my teens simply doesn't exist anymore & hasn't for decades. It's simply been absorbed into the fabric of the establishment, like all formerly radical movements eventually are. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Politics itself doesn't.

Decades of flogging off everything once under state control to private concerns have left government with no role to play in everyday life anymore. Leaving them with lots of free time to devise ways to raise tax & smooth passages for their corporate donors, sponsors & lobbyists.

There's essentially no hope really. I've made my peace with it.

Party politics is pretty much irrelevant now & has been since the 90s. The reason I don't hold out any hope in that direction is that what we've seen is the replacement of ineptitude & corruption with a simple return to the norm. There's no ideological shift. The basic policies around "fiscal rules" are unchanged.

The "system" that you refer to operates outside of party politics as there is no longer an ideological divide. Just a difference in details. The bankrupt notion of endless "growth" is adhered to by everyone so nothing will change. The immensely rich benefit from the way things are,so thats the way they'll stay.

Meanwhile of course, they'll use their massive platforms to blame everyone & everything else for it & keep us all boiling mad at the wrong people. Or the wrong institutions. Or some ludicrous conspiracy theory.

The Labour Party that I joined in my teens simply doesn't exist anymore & hasn't for decades. It's simply been absorbed into the fabric of the establishment, like all formerly radical movements eventually are. It doesn't mean anything anymore. Politics itself doesn't.

Decades of flogging off everything once under state control to private concerns have left government with no role to play in everyday life anymore. Leaving them with lots of free time to devise ways to raise tax & smooth passages for their corporate donors, sponsors & lobbyists.

There's essentially no hope really. I've made my peace with it.
I agree with all of that until the last paragraph.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Liverpool49
4Aston Villa49
5Brighton48
6Nottm F48
7Chelsea47
8Newcastle37
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46
11Bournemouth45