Dispatches tonight, Channel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Programme about racism in football - including incidents filmed at our home games against Millwall and Forest

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...report-racism-football-matches-110006114.html

Some predictable comments but this one raised a smile.

Football chants don't really seems racist or homophobic. I watched a game as Saint John and my side called there team sheep shaggers (I was in uniform so I didn't join in). And they called our town Shite. When one of our players where injured they accused him of being a wimp and if it was one of there players our side would have probably done the same.

With chants it seems like non of the rules apply. Alot of the poeple singing where probably perfectly civilised poeple

Last edited:
Frankly any suggestion that the racism in football today compares with that in the 1970s is rubbish. It was absolutely endemic in the 1970s. Fans from ethnic minorities are made welcome today; they would have been in real danger in the 1970s.

These days the majority of fans disapprove of homophobia. In the 1970s the vast majority of fans were homophobic While I was never racist or sexist I am ashamed to say I was quite ready to complain that a player tackled like a poof as were my non-racist non-sexist friends.
As a boy watching Wolves in the 1950s with my father I remember asking why every match Wolves fans chanted at opponents goal kicks - "The goalie is a fairy ee ay addio the goalie is a fairy" . This was every match and nobody questioned it.
In the lower leagues it was worse. Worcester City signed a midfielder who was a skilled ballplayer by their standards but rather shy in the tackle. He was soon known as "Fairy" even when playing well - "Fairy scored a good goal."

In the Micky Adams promotion season there was a match in which the referee was black and a girls football team paraded round at half time. I did not hear a single racist or sexist remark. I thought then that we have come a long way and in the right direction.

Frankly any suggestion that the racism in football today compares with that in the 1970s is rubbish. It was absolutely endemic in the 1970s. Fans from ethnic minorities are made welcome today; they would have been in real danger in the 1970s.

These days the majority of fans disapprove of homophobia. In the 1970s the vast majority of fans were homophobic While I was never racist or sexist I am ashamed to say I was quite ready to complain that a player tackled like a poof as were my non-racist non-sexist friends.
As a boy watching Wolves in the 1950s with my father I remember asking why every match Wolves fans chanted at opponents goal kicks - "The goalie is a fairy ee ay addio the goalie is a fairy" . This was every match and nobody questioned it.
In the lower leagues it was worse. Worcester City signed a midfielder who was a skilled ballplayer by their standards but rather shy in the tackle. He was soon known as "Fairy" even when playing well - "Fairy scored a good goal."

In the Micky Adams promotion season there was a match in which the referee was black and a girls football team paraded round at half time. I did not hear a single racist or sexist remark. I thought then that we have come a long way and in the right direction.

I enjoy your insights David. Thank you.

Last edited:
DG is correct. To compare now to the 70's is ludicrous.

Racism, sexism and homophobia are practised at football grounds by a minority and as David said I would also have to hold my hand up and say in the 70's that the word 'poof' or 'fairy' was perhaps the politest terminology used at football grounds.

It is still unusual for a player to 'come out' during their career as such a revelation would undoubtedly shorten or curtail their career.

Incidentally why does anyone think that Millwall have a much larger contingent of meat heads, they do in my opinion but I really can't understand why?

Last edited:
Fascinating post David, thanks for that, especially that detail about the frankly bizarre Wolves chant. Maybe you should blog your memories of going to football in the '50s and '60s; I don't know of anyone else doing it and this sort of social history is great.

As a society we've come a long way on homophobia in a pretty short time imo. I think racism is more intractable.

Who are you referring to David? Has somebody made that comparison?

Who are you referring to David? Has somebody made that comparison?

The author of the article seems to believe that :

But, despite the return of the old evil, things are a hell of a lot better than they are in Italy, the Balkans, or in 1970s Britain… Right?
Wrong.

Once a few have been arrested and charged the rest should get the message.

At the moment people think they'll get away with it, that needs to be changed.

Film and remove 2 or 3 then give them 5 year bans.The rest get the message.
In the years pre Hillsbrough removing permeter fencing would have been thought impossible.5 year bans help self discipline no end.(except when win FA Cup this year)

Film and remove 2 or 3 then give them 5 year bans.The rest get the message.
In the years pre Hillsbrough removing permeter fencing would have been thought impossible.5 year bans help self discipline no end.(except when win FA Cup this year)
If they commit a crime, a ban is not sufficient. They should also be charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46