Does anyone think we might be better w/out Dublin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

I think the team will probably not play any better immediately but I just think that alot of what Dublin does up front for the team is not always effective and does not necessarily help the players around him. In defence, he's a little better but given one ot two subtle changes the back 4 yesterday could go on and do a job in the long-term. He co-ordinates and tries to get things organised at set-pieces but this rarely pays off. (I can't recall him scoring himself from one this season). With lightening pace in the form of elvis, ryan, hulme and momo (when he can be arsed) should we not be playing to these strengths (I have to say we did try and do this more yesterday) and moving away from the log-ball / flick on approach that we often revert to? My only concern would be if we do take him off the park then we do lack a natural leader with no obvious replacement.

The one thing I have trouble with about Dublin is unfortunetly he has no pace at all. When he plays up front he's useful with his head but thats it. when he plays in defence we play too deep for the same reason. Bless his heart he's put in some top class defensive performances but has been caught a few times with players running at him or past him. Good organiser on the pitch though. Have noticed that yesterday the defence played much higher and because of that the Saints had trouble breaking us down even with the pace that they had, often getting caught offside. Think Dion is good for the club as a example to others and as a back up player. His attitute is first class shame his legs are not.

I agree, whilst as an individual Dion has performed pretty well, especially when in the centre of defence, IMO his lack of pace is now becoming a real issue, especially when you consider how Levein is trying to get us to play, it has already been said that the tactics have to be changed to accomodate Dion and I do feel that he is too slow to be an effective centre forward at this level when starting a game, however I do feel he can have a positive effect when coming on for say 20 - 25 minutes like against Preston.

I dont necessarily agree about the leadership, as I feel that in the likes of Douglas, Maybury, McCarthy, Gerrbrand, Johansson and to a lesser extent Gudjonsson we have a number of players who are not afraid to take responsibility, and in a strange way maybe having Dion in the side could stifle the character and leadership skills of some of these players. IMO I would make McCarthy or possibly even Gerrbrand captain as I think they have the hunger, passion and determination to succeed and that would then rub off on to the other players, Dion could still have an influence from the touchline if required.

eeerrr... this is last month's Player of the Month that you are talking about here!!!!

Oh, how I agree with you!!

Good post!

PFKAKTF FOX said:
IMO I would make McCarthy or possibly even Gerrbrand captain .

Whilst I agree that neither Tiatto or Dublin should be captain, I think it's probably a little too early for Gerrbrand. Maybe McCarthy, but he would have to keep his discipline a little. Walshie was a superb captain in the end but let himself down in the early days

glyn said:
Whilst I agree that neither Tiatto or Dublin should be captain, I think it's probably a little too early for Gerrbrand. Maybe McCarthy, but he would have to keep his discipline a little. Walshie was a superb captain in the end but let himself down in the early days

McCarthy has worked very hard on his discipline this season and has cut out a lot of the rash tackles that were earning him bookings, also I think he is the sort of player who would relish the responsibility of captaincy. He reminds me very much of a young Walshy.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
McCarthy has worked very hard on his discipline this season and has cut out a lot of the rash tackles that were earning him bookings, also I think he is the sort of player who would relish the responsibility of captaincy. He reminds me very much of a young Walshy.

He hasn't been booked in any of the SEVEN games he has played since he earned his last suspension. This indicates a complete change of mindset in the way he approaches the game - and I think his performances are all the better for it.

City have lost only one of those seven games and conceded only 3 goals in the process. The defence and the whole team have benefitted from the steadiness he has brought into his game.

Well done, Paddy!!

paddy seems to have sorted his temper out so i'd rather he was captain than the idiot with the current title as team captain. (who never plays)
as for dublin, he is slow and the argument for keeping him is he is good in the air, although he does seem to think players are always off the field when he slams his headers down the flanks and out for throws.

fitz said:
paddy seems to have sorted his temper out

Was it temper - or just clumsiness and over-enthusiasm?

The only time that I think he lost it was at Plymouth - but even then, I'm not sure it was temper - just a complete loss of reasonable thinking seemed more to blame!

i believe it was down to his temper. the bookings he got were for stupid things like hoofing a player who was running the ball wide anyway. as a defender there is no need to challenge there unless you feel the need to hurt the player with the ball

In answer to the question at the top of the thread...Yes most definitely.

Dublin is too slow to play up front, but hey we didnt have alot of options yesterday! He is useful to have around to plug gaps were we need and also from a leadership point of view, so I think he does a great job.

He would have got murdered yesterday though playing at centre half!!!

Did anyone else think Gerrbrand was superb yesterday? I thought he was a class act, easily our best player.

I also though Douglas was lucky to stay on the pitch. He is too hesitant some times and it shows.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Dublin is too slow to play up front, but hey we didnt have alot of options yesterday!

We could have done what some* people have been suggesting and tried Hume and Hammond together. Neither of them seem to have realised their potential whilst playing with MdV so perhaps we should try playing them in a different combination. Southampton seemed well able to deal with any kind of aerial threat; perhaps a wholly on-the-ground approach would have rattled them a little more.

* I'm not one of those people but I just wanted to point out an alternative

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Did anyone else think Gerrbrand was superb yesterday? I thought he was a class act, easily our best player.

Me!

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I also though Douglas was lucky to stay on the pitch. He is too hesitant some times and it shows.

Why? Yes, he made quite a few errors but he only committed one foul - and that was too far wide for a red card to be even the remotest of possibilities.

Or perhaps you thought that he should have been subbed. To that I would say that it was a good job he wasn't because we needed all the subs for other reasons. To have taken him off might have left us with just 10 men.

i agree with most of what you said gerrbrand and paddy were tops looks a good partnership as for douglas thought he looked dodgy not much communication going on between him and the backs

I defenitly think that Paddy is a captain for the future. He's regained his form over the last half a dozen matches, let's not lumber him with resposibility just yet and let him develop even more for now. While impressed with Gerrbrand recently, I hope that he keeps this form over a sustained period because the defence looks more solid with the pair of them and certainly more mobile.

Dublin can't move at centre forward, regard him as a reserve centre back only. I also don't think he is a leader-type at all, merely a senior player - I do question the worth of renewing his contract (and Wilcox!) but I suppose CL wanted a bit of experience.

First time I've seen Gerrbrand and I was impressed, not that there was too much else to watch. I presume this is our first-choice back four now, though I hope Stearman can displace a subdued-looking Maybury.

CL missed a trick in not at least trying Hume and Hammond together. Dublin and Hammond were getting nothing, so why not try something different?

elvis and hume are both the same in the manner that they run around but don't look like they will ever score. unfortunately they look much better coming on as substitutes, probably after dion has tired the opposition defence out....or something else. we are a team with one striker who scores goals and we did very well to get anything (if looking at the teams before the match). however on the performance i thought there was only going to be one winner on saturday if it didnt result in a draw.

fitz said:
... i thought there was only going to be one winner on saturday if it didnt result in a draw.

eeerrr... Yes!

bocadillo said:
eeerrr... Yes!

sorry i was in pundit mode there. what i meant was i could see the carrot at the end of the tunnel and that we were more likely to win

On the Hume & Hammond line, they played together in the Derby match and looked good, linked up well. Really came into it when Smith came on as well. Two goals disallowed, both apparently dodgy decisions. No long ball down the middle to a big man meant that that passes had to find men. I agree that it was a missed opportunity not playing them on Saturday especially as he could have brought Dublin on to change things if needed when their defence was knackered. That would have made it a more even with Dion being fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669