Douglas Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
lazzer said:
SilverFox said:
And Levein is confident the 6ft 3in keeper will prove a hit at the Walkers Stadium.

"He has proved himself in Scotland," said Levein. "But there's always something within players that they want to prove themselves at all levels.

"This is an opportunity for him to prove he can get us up to the Premiership.

"We are ambitious and so is Rab. We see ourselves as a team that will be up towards the top end next season and he sees it as a challenge that he wants to be a part of."

Levein also revealed that Douglas is likely to be the No.1 for the start of the season.

However, he expects Paul Henderson, his other new goalkeeper, to push hard for the jersey.

"Rab's experience will give him a start before Paul," said Levein.

"We feel that Paul is a talented keeper who is on his way up and competition is vital.

"I want someone pushing Rab hard and Paul will do just that."
:eek:

From Homers perspective, hopefully the HARD PUSHING :eek: will be done at the edge of a cliff!

lazzer said:
SilverFox said:
And Levein is confident the 6ft 3in keeper will prove a hit at the Walkers Stadium.

"He has proved himself in Scotland," said Levein. "But there's always something within players that they want to prove themselves at all levels.

"This is an opportunity for him to prove he can get us up to the Premiership.

"We are ambitious and so is Rab. We see ourselves as a team that will be up towards the top end next season and he sees it as a challenge that he wants to be a part of."

Levein also revealed that Douglas is likely to be the No.1 for the start of the season.

However, he expects Paul Henderson, his other new goalkeeper, to push hard for the jersey.

"Rab's experience will give him a start before Paul," said Levein.

"We feel that Paul is a talented keeper who is on his way up and competition is vital.

"I want someone pushing Rab hard and Paul will do just that."
:eek:

Can't help but think that you have read too many of my 'posts' Lazzer ;-)

Nathan said:
Roles will be reversed by the beginning of next season, if not before

Certainly will be in the Highland Fox household

In a dramatic turnaround, he's going to try out being the man of the household for a while.........

homer said:
Nathan said:
Roles will be reversed by the beginning of next season, if not before

Certainly will be in the Highland Fox household

In a dramatic turnaround, he's going to try out being the man of the household for a while.........

Bet he'll STILL refuse to wear trousers though....

homer said:
A few more from a completely different site:

To be honest, im not exactly crest-fallen at his departure. However, he goes with our best wishes. He was a decent keeper, but prone to dreadful errors, which usually occured in high profile games. Thanks for the service Rab, but it really was time to go.

Had some good performances in your time, but some downright awful ones too.

Had some great games for us, and all in wasn't the worst keeper we had, but will sadly be remembered for his mistakes like most keepers.

Don't come back you useless pillock.

decent keeper when kept busy, no more than that. Made some tremendous errors in vital games and for that we're better off without him.

Seeing high balls go into the box just won't be the same anymore!

Bye bye Rab, thanks for the memories - sorry I meant nightmares

So we've replaced an ageing, accident-prone former international keeper with an ageing, accident prone current international keeper .... seems fair enough.

Agreed

Question 1 - are we any worse off than last season ?
Probably not - Walker had some howlers, didn't control his area at all, and was the lynchpin of long ball kicks up the field to nowhere. I suspect Rab will fit that bill perfectly

Question 2 - are we any better off than last season ?
Yes, because we have Henderson as back up - and he is better than Pressman and Hirschfeld

homer said:
Agreed

Question 1 - are we any worse off than last season ?
Probably not - Walker had some howlers, didn't control his area at all, and was the lynchpin of long ball kicks up the field to nowhere. I suspect Rab will fit that bill perfectly

Question 2 - are we any better off than last season ?
Yes, because we have Henderson as back up - and he is better than Pressman and Hirschfeld

Exactly, CL is doing a good job - in difficult circumstance - it may not come off in the short term but he seems a bright sort of bloke - Micky did not come across as the sharpest knife in the draw when appointed .... and so it proved.

Here's what my pal from Bradford wrote to me about Henderson:

"Hendo was class for us this season. I was a bit disappointed he turned down
the contract offer, since he was on a shit-tip before we picked him up. A
few City fans have been bewildered why he's gone since you've gone for Rab
Douglas. I never did rate Douglas though, but Hendo occasionally had a
blunder or two. Thankfully they were very rare."

Rab sound a lot like Walker, a good stopper but little else and makes major mistakes, he will of course be cheaper, but IMO from reading the praise for Henderson from Bradford fans. It aint going to be long before Rab becomes our number two and then as Homer said we will be better of and CL succeed again.

Such optimisum

Bit taken aback when I read these though.... :?

Looking at the views of Celtic fans views on the message boards from www.kerrydalestreet.co.uk overall it would seem they remember Rob more for his clangers in big games than for the many consistent performances and based on the number of comments made on the message board it can be assumed that new goalkeeping coach Mike Stowell will be working on high crosses as one priority. However most fans seem to send their good wishes to Rob for the future.

Staffsbhoy expressed his views saying “To be honest, im not exactly crest-fallen at his departure. However, he goes with our best wishes. He was a decent keeper, but prone to dreadful errors, which usually occurred in high profile games. Thanks for the service Rab, but it really was time to go”

CFC Kid echoed those views saying “Bye. Had some good performances in your time, but some downright awful ones too”, but Joebloggscity recognised Rob tried saying “Regardless of everything, tried his best and can't ask for more... thx for your efforts Rab, hope you do well at Leicester”

However one or two message board posters felt the criticism was too harsh with Biggreenone saying “Wish him all the best - some of the abuse he got was OTT. An honest big bloke - good luck and thanks Rab - Let's hope for a quality replacement”

Those high ball issues were referred to in a post from Markybhoy who said “A decent keeper when kept busy, no more than that. Made some tremendous errors in vital games and for that we're better off without him. Seeing high balls go into the box just won't be the same anymore!”

In summary Owenybhoy reckoned “Had some great games for us, and all in wasn't the worst keeper we had, but will sadly be remembered for his mistakes like most keepers. All the best Rab. Will remember you for some great saves of the likes of the games against Valencia, Liverpool, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart and Boavista to name a few.

Jeesh.... I'm not filled with optimism.

Will give him full support but if he's dodgy on the high ball - he'll be a busy and ridiculed man in the Championship where "the hoof" is well utilised..

Can we get some perspective please?

This is a keeper who has over the last couple of seasons put in outstanding performances against the likes of Liverpool, Valencia, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart and Boavista, nevermind his international experience. He is hardly going to be troubled by the attacks of the likes of Luton, Hull and Brighton. :D

CL has managed to persuade Rab to leave European football behind, come to the Walkers and take a pay cut in the process! In my opinion CL has managed to perform a miracle.

Celtic is a massive club that plays at the highest level in Europe (until they get knocked out and have to play in the UEFA Cup instead of course). Rab is easily good enough for Leicester. Welcome Rab - and thank you for taking a chance on us.

Lets all slate the bloke IF he fecks up heh, not before he even touches a fecking ball in anger!
If Rab is no worse than Walker, that will do me.

clerkenwellfox said:
Can we get some perspective please?

This is a keeper who has over the last couple of seasons put in outstanding performances against the likes of Liverpool, Valencia, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart and Boavista, nevermind his international experience. He is hardly going to be troubled by the attacks of the likes of Luton, Hull and Brighton. :D

CL has managed to persuade Rab to leave European football behind, come to the Walkers and take a pay cut in the process! In my opinion CL has managed to perform a miracle.

Celtic is a massive club that plays at the highest level in Europe (until they get knocked out and have to play in the UEFA Cup instead of course). Rab is easily good enough for Leicester. Welcome Rab - and thank you for taking a chance on us.
I agree that we should get behind douglas, but saying its a miracle that he picked us over another year at celtic is a bit over the top- he left celtic because his contract was up, and if he had stayed he would of been number two due to the possible signing of anti niemi or because of the emergence of david marshall. Plus i don't think anyone apart from us showed serious interest.

we have a massive problem with some of our younger fans growing up only knowing Leicester from the MON days, they now expect to much IMO

Douglas is a very good signing for a club in our current position

that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular it was just a general observation plenty of people want us to sign premiership players on premiership wages but we have seen the effect of big name players in the last few years. we are no longer a premiership team and IMO for the money spent we have two good options in place for next year in Henderson we also have a good and still fairly young keeper who is desperate to make the shirt his own like he did at Bradford so Rab will need to perform if he wants to stay first choice, otherwise he will be out of the team

PIETASTER said:
that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular it was just a general observation plenty of people want us to sign premiership players on premiership wages but we have seen the effect of big name players in the last few years. we are no longer a premiership team and IMO for the money spent we have two good options in place for next year in Henderson we also have a good and still fairly young keeper who is desperate to make the shirt his own like he did at Bradford so Rab will need to perform if he wants to stay first choice, otherwise he will be out of the team
i agree totally dude, we couldn't of done much better with the funds we have available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669