Dublin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood the attraction of Ireland (no offence to the Irish).

No offence taken here, but I can't speak for everybody else.

They speak the same language

Not sure what language has to do with anything, but we do have our own language and the English that is spoken, Hiberno-English, is different from that spoken in England.

drink the same beer

Nope, you're not having that one.

eat the same food

You can get a lot of English food, but again, there are differences.

it's more expensive

Perhaps if you go to touristy areas only, but the cost of living is lower than Britain.

the weather is worse than ours.

Eh? How you working that out? The weather is overall the same, but here in the South-East it's better than most parts of the UK.
We're not called the 'sunny South-East' for nothing.

I wasn't that impressed with the place when i went, thought it was over-rated and similar to London in too many ways! The Guiness factory is worth a visit i thought. For transport its worth buying a weekend bus pass from the tourist office, they do open-top tours where you can hop on/off wherever you like. Its the easiest way to see the city, its also one of the few times you will actually meet an irishman, rather than your bog standard Pole/Chinese/Kurdish person!

temple bar is horrible, try some of the pubs down baggot street and near st stephens green. O'donaghues if it's still there. some decent pubs off grafton street too
guinness factory is a must if you drink the stuff, if you prefer a drop of the hard stuff go to the jameson distillery on Bow street

The best whiskey and I missed the place... will add it to the list for the next time I go

No offence taken here, but I can't speak for everybody else.

Not sure what language has to do with anything, but we do have our own language and the English that is spoken, Hiberno-English, is different from that spoken in England.

Nope, you're not having that one.

You can get a lot of English food, but again, there are differences.

Perhaps if you go to touristy areas only, but the cost of living is lower than Britain.

Eh? How you working that out? The weather is overall the same, but here in the South-East it's better than most parts of the UK.
We're not called the 'sunny South-East' for nothing.

I'll take your word for it I've never been, it doesn't appeal to me.

For me there are 2 reasons to go abroad.
1) To experience something different, language, culture , food.
or
2) To experience better weather than we get at home.

Ireland doesn't tick either box for me. Sorry.

Last edited:
For me there are 2 reasons to go abroad.
1) To experience something different, language, culture , food.
or
2) To experience better weather than we get at home.

Ireland doesn't tick either box for me. Sorry.

I toured round Ireland some years ago. I had naively expected it to be a lot like England. I could hardly believe how wrong I was. Box 1 is definitely ticked - the language (even though it is English), the culture and the food are different. It is as foreign country as any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46