DV's random illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vodka

to stop me banging on about it in other threads...

has anyone else ever had a seizure?

i had one on monday on the train pulling into London. i was shaking and vomiting and spent a confused day in hospital

my short term memory is all over the place :(

i have an MRI scan next monday

i don't drive, but i was thinking about getting back into driving and now i'm not sure i'll be allowed to...

and i haven't got a clue what caused it

My advice would be hang until you get test results as there are many possible causes for seizures. As for driving again you would have to be diagnosed before knowing your chances of driving. A workmate had night seizures and drove during these bouts . However the first time he had a waking seizure he lost his license for about a year. Just hang tight mate see what they say .

i had one on monday on the train pulling into London. i was shaking and vomiting and spent a confused day in hospital

i don't drive, but i was thinking about getting back into driving and now i'm not sure i'll be allowed to...

I imagine there can be a number of causes, but years ago my brother had several severe seizures, one of which left him unconscious for several hours alone at home. Initially they were unable to diagnose it, but it turned out to be hypothyroidy, and he's been on a high level of medication evey since.

I used to work with an epilepsy charity. Most of us will have one or two seizures in our lifetime without an explained reason - due to the nature of seizures we're most likely to forget it too.

Just because you've had a seizure doesn't mean you have epilepsy, a brain tumour or any of the other scare stories, but you're doing the right thing by getting yourself checked out.

Depending on the tests, you will be told whether or not you can drive. Most people with epilepsy manage just fine with the right drugs (which are *miles* better than what they used to be) and many are able to drive.

If you're anything like I was, you'll be shitting it until you get the tests. Try to remember that the odds are on yourside though, and the treatments are often completely effective. Good luck next monday.

About 40 years ago I was found, recovering conciousness, shaking and vomiting - no apparent cause and tests showed nothing. MRI hadn't been invented or, if they had, they weren't commonly available. I was very dithery and unwell for a few days and it was a mystery what had caused it; they suspected a little concussion but little else.

Then a few days later a colleague got an electric shock off a piece of equipment which was close to where I had been found. It was surmised that I had a similar shock, had fallen to the floor and had hit my head, causing the loss of conciousness and everything that followed.

Your problem is unlikely to be anything similar but I've told you about it to suggest that there could be hundreds of reasons for your seizure. Try not to worry too much about it and concentrate on living your normal life as much as you possibly can while you wait for a diagnosis.

About 40 years ago I was found, recovering conciousness, shaking and vomiting - no apparent cause and tests showed nothing. MRI hadn't been invented or, if they had, they weren't commonly available. I was very dithery and unwell for a few days and it was a mystery what had caused it; they suspected a little concussion but little else.

What do you mean WAS? :icon_lol:

I just hope you are ok. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572