Early training for de Vries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Blue Army said:
Mark de Vries makes an early return to training on Monday, vowing to put a "frustrating" first season with Leicester City behind him.

The City squad are not due to report back for pre-season work until July 1, but de Vries has revealed he will return to Belvoir Drive next week.

The 29-year-old says he needs extra time to work on his fitness after suffering with problems, including a niggling groin injury, last season.

As he returns to the training ground just three weeks after the end of the Championship season, de Vries says it will give him extra sharpness when the full training programme resumes.

"My training starts on Monday," said de Vries.

"I have had a couple of weeks off and muscle tests have shown that I wasn't as strong as I would have wanted.

"The training is preparing me for the pre-season and to make sure I go into it feeling fit.

"Last season was a hard one for me because I had lots of injuries. I think the hardest part is to get back because it takes a lot of energy out of you.

"Luckily, I haven't suffered anything serious, but any type of injury keeps you out for a few weeks and lowers your general fitness."

Craig Levein eased de Vries into the City team with a series of substitute appearances following his move south from Hearts.

But, by his own admission, de Vries has struggled since the January switch, with his form affected by the injuries.

He said: "Sometimes you shouldn't play but, as a professional, the trouble is you want to.

"I won't take a step back, and that's probably been the problem."

He hopes that the time on the training ground will be rewarded in the new season with the kind of performances that made his name in Scotland.

"I now know what to expect in this league and I am going to make sure I am prepared for it. The league here is quicker than in Scotland. You don't just have to adapt to the game, but also to the way your team-mates play.

"I am the first one to know I haven't been in form.

"Every striker has periods of drought, if that's what you want to call it, and this was probably my season. It's been frustrating for me as well."

But de Vries still has no regrets about joining City. In fact, he is more determined than ever to help them back into the Premiership.

"I signed a three-and-a-half-year contract and I want to play for this club, a club that wants to go up and play in the best league," he said.

"If you don't want that, you shouldn't sign for Leicester City."

Source

Fair play to him, he has taken a lot of stick this season and is obviously determined to prove his doubters wrong.

IMO he should be commended for his attitude, and it is nice to see players displaying that level of commitment. Maybe we will see the real MDV next season.

After this gesture by the player lets hope the fans get behind him and support him at least he's showing he gives a toss.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Fair play to him, he has taken a lot of stick this season and is obviously determined to prove his doubters wrong.

IMO he should be commended for his attitude, and it is nice to see players displaying that level of commitment. Maybe we will see the real MDV next season.

After this gesture by the player lets hope the fans get behind him and support him at least he's showing he gives a toss.

can't really add much to that, spot on IMO

Nice to see that he he is committed to the cause, and is desperate to prove his worth to the club. Praise to him for that, let's hope it helps and he's a lethal frontman for us next season!

PFKAKTF FOX said:

I hope you are right and the fans get behind him after this - you can't fault his commitment. he was a force to be reckoned with in Scotland and hopefully will be for us in the Championship.

good luck to the lad.

but does he have his own key or will the training staff be returning early to let him in? Wont they be on holiday?

Lee Morris will be there to let him in,he's having another coat of varnish put on his wooden leg.

Right, that's one of the most refreshing attitudes I have heard from a City player in quite a while.... Clean slate for MDV for me next term.

great stuff, thats what i like to see from any player in a city shirt. COMMITMENT.

like you say i hope people have a bit of respect for him for this and wipe the slate clean.

First Class - Well done MdV.

For me thats enough for him to be given a clean slate but will the 'fickle boneheads' agree?

I have seen enough from him early in his time with us to know he is a quality player, lets just hope the boo boys haven't damaged him long term.

I have always held the opinion that MDV was never fully fit when he played for us. Never slated him , just 'felt ' for the guy. IMO he will , (injury allowing) be a real force to be reckoned with next season.

he's got all the natural attributes to be a good Championship striker, hope he gets sharp and does well next season.

lcfcalan said:
I have always held the opinion that MDV was never fully fit when he played for us. Never slated him , just 'felt ' for the guy. IMO he will , (injury allowing) be a real force to be reckoned with next season.

he was always unfit, he looked fat and slow (ala Ian Marshall) in games he played, unsurprising with how few games he managed, hopefully with an entire summer to run off the beef and get back to full fitness he'll be converting desire into goals. the lad is a confidence player, once he scored a fluke against millwall he was willing to take players on run with the ball, even hit the post so we have to get behind the lad

Attitude might be spot on but IMO so was Trevor Benjamins - If De Vries is our first choice Centre Forward next season don't expect us to be going up cause he won't score 10 goals in any season - We would have bin better keeping Scowcroft!!!

lanxfox said:
Attitude might be spot on but IMO so was Trevor Benjamins - If De Vries is our first choice Centre Forward next season don't expect us to be going up cause he won't score 10 goals in any season - We would have bin better keeping Scowcroft!!!

when did he score 10 goals in one season?

either that or its some weird training routine where he has to balance on the surf board ala surfer style??

Hazzman said:
My cousin seen him at Hamilton Tesco coming out with an ironing board in his trolley and loads of home gear such as lamps and stuff.

Maybe settling down in his home.

I had heard that he was living out of a hotel, so getting his own place is going to help too.
Superb attitude MDV, I gave you some s*it last season (you deserved it as you were woeful at times) and I hope you can prove that I was wrong.

Great attitude. Shite player

Prove me wrong, mate. Prove me wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673