Elliot retiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he will be retiring, but what I got from reading that article is that it seems that he is going to sit down with Craig Levein and discuss his future at the club. CL might ask him to possibly agree to ending his contract early or something.

The totally awesome Matt Jones agreed to terminate his contract early, Elliot might do the same! Given the amount of money he is on, and the fact that he knows we are broke, it might be the decent thing to do...we might offer him a pay off or something. Who knows...well, certainly not me.

MB?

i have no probs if we pay fat matt any amount considering what he has done for our club over the years.

SilverFox said:
The totally awesome Matt Jones agreed to terminate his contract early, Elliot might do the same! Given the amount of money he is on, and the fact that he knows we are broke, it might be the decent thing to do...we might offer him a pay off or something. Who knows...well, certainly not me.

Jones 'terminated' his contract because he knew that we'd still have to pay it up 'till the end anyway, something to do with the PFA and injured players or something....

Elliott should pack it in, he's been a waste of time and money these past two seasons. Obviously I'll never forget his contribution under MON but he's well past his prime, and we could sign 2-3 players on frees if his contract was cancelled.

yeh reading between the lines it looks like levein is going to suggest matt retires - levein obviously think that matts come to the end of the road physically - hes such a big lad its not surprising, he was never going to be one of these people who could go on till they were pushing 40. hopefully matt will do the decent thing and retire - saving us a few quid. it would be nice if in return though he was given some role at the club - hes been here longer than anyone else on the playing or coaching staff after all

Scary thought...if Elliott leaves, who are our longest serving players? Walker, Scowy and Benji were the ones I thought of? :shock: It will mean nothing left of the MON era at all. :(

Leigh said:
SilverFox said:

Jones 'terminated' his contract because he knew that we'd still have to pay it up 'till the end anyway, something to do with the PFA and injured players or something....

i heard that if he didn't announce his retirement when he did we would've missed out on the compensation through losing him to injury....

Graz said:
Scary thought...if Elliott leaves, who are our longest serving players? Walker, Scowy and Benji were the ones I thought of? :shock: It will mean nothing left of the MON era at all. :(

Time to move on, but it is a very scary thought. :cry:

Everything of his work spoiled in 3.5 years. Bloody hell.

Graz said:

Our longest serving player will be Jordan, he made his debut in 2000 under MON.

pipes said:
Elliott should pack it in, he's been a waste of time and money these past two seasons. Obviously I'll never forget his contribution under MON but he's well past his prime, and we could sign 2-3 players on frees if his contract was cancelled.

Here here.

Leigh said:
Graz said:

Our longest serving player will be Jordan, he made his debut in 2000 under MON.

Yeah thts correct Leigh, i remember Jordan playin against Chelsea in the F.A cup game against Chelsea, when we lost 2-1, Elliott scored tht awesome goal when he twisted Marcel Desailly inside out, i remember Andy Gray was commentating too , he was goin on bout how good the goal was, sayin tht Desailly was no mug and tht he was a world cup winner, and Chris Sutton pushed Gilchrist or Taggart over leadin to their 2nd goal which George Weah scored. grr

i think i mentioned on another post that one of our big problems is the lack of a proper squad - players who can properly identify themselves as LCFC players and the fact that excepting elliot our longest serving players only been a senior player 4 years underlines this. i think one of the reasons we've had so many flat performances is the fact that for a lot of the players all LCFC is simply another brief stop on their career path - a couple of seasons of professional football and a paycheck before retiring of heading off somewhere else, very few of the players are playing for the future of LCFC because they know they're not going to be part of that future.

by the way im particularly referring to the likes of gemmil, blake, pressman, dabisaz, makin and wilcox

if he retires i would imagine that would cancel out like a third of the wage bill.

come on matt do the right thing

We need people aged 21-25 and then they can be put on a 3-4 year contract. That's easier said than done though isn't it, but Andy Kirk might be like that if we get him. I agree with country fox, this football club shouldn't be a sort of place people go for about 1 or 2 seasons.

I agree in some ways with what is being said, we do need players on 3/4 year contracts who are the right age, this would allow them to develop an affinity to the club and it's supporters, it is also very fustrating seeing over the hill veterans using our club on short term deals to gain one last payday.

.....But we must also remember that this short term view had to be taken due to our dire financial circumstances, and it was the only way we could try to compete, the board and new management team now appear to have acknowledged this is not the way forward.

Also though please bear in mind that 3/4 year contracts were and still are the reason we are now in this mess think of Elliott, Scowy, Benji and Walker. We still have to learn from our mistakes and lets hope any future players bought in on long term contracts are mainly performance related.

Good! They wont be getting much this week then - in fact they should be paying us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566