Email legalities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

Do emails have the same legal status as letters and faxes? Does anyone know?I cant seem to get a straight answer on this.

Do emails have the same legal status as letters and faxes? Does anyone know?I cant seem to get a straight answer on this.

In what context? Certainly the disclaimers at the bottom of emails have no real legal status (though they may be used to prove that you tried in certain cases I guess).

If I send an email as a confirmation as an instruction to do something does that hold the same legalities as if I had sent them a fax or letter?

I would have said that the written confirmation/instruction would carry more weight as it would have a signature.

Different places might have their own rules, for example, when I had to provide evidence of my car insurance to the police, they would accept a faxed cover note but only if it came direct from the insurers to them, not one that I had faxed to the police or that the insurers had faxed to me.

If I send an email as a confirmation as an instruction to do something does that hold the same legalities as if I had sent them a fax or letter?

From memory there are moves afoot to make an email a binding document but at present they arent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46