Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicsfoxes1

From the Mercury:

County email was 'not same as orginal'

The Leicester Mercury has discovered that an email sent in the wake of Leicestershire chief executive David Smith's resignation is not exactly the same as the original.

The email in question was sent by County chairman Neil Davidson to Smith and senior coach Tim Boon on Monday, June 19, a day after the 10-run Friends Provident T20 defeat by Northamptonshire Steelbacks at Grace Road.

In it, Davidson makes it clear that he and the board had discussed selection at a meeting and recommended changes.

However, in the second paragraph Davidson wrote: "The way we are organised, team selection has to rest with you ..."

The email sent to the Mercury, and which was quoted in a story on Wednesday, June 30, had that line missing.

Davidson believes the absence of those words changed the "whole sense" of the email.

He also said that, had he been asked to verify the document seen by the Mercury, he would have pointed out that the above words were missing.

"This not only changed the whole sense of the email but also the factual basis for subsequent reporting and comment," he added.

Davidson said yesterday: "David Smith chose to resign and then forwarded the email which I had sent him and Tim Boon, from his home email address, to a number of people and organisations including the Leicester Mercury.

"I have seen copies of the email David sent and it is clear the following important sentence – 'The way we are organised, team selection has to rest with you but ...' – was removed, presumably because it didn't suit David's criticisms of me and the board. The same email was subsequently sent to (County fan) Stewart Walker by David Smith, who in turn forwarded it to a number of other members."

Asked to comment on Davidson's remarks, Smith said: "It's a brave statement and it's not true. My lawyers would welcome the opportunity to say that and we will certainly look at it."

Smith would not comment on why the line was missing but said: "I am happy to acknowledge that the email that Tim and I received included that line."

Smith resigned on Monday, June 28, blaming interference from Davidson and the board. He believes the absence of the words does not change the tone of the email.

He challenged Davidson to make the original email public so people could form their own opinion.

Smith said: "We are very happy for the club to put the email in the public domain because the membership has a right to see it. They can make their own minds up whether it constitutes an interfering chairman.

"However I have not accused Neil of picking the team, simply of trying to influence selection of the team as outlined in my resignation letter."

Since Smith resigned, more than 100 members have signed a petition calling for a special general meeting. The petition was handed to the club last Friday.

This is all getting rather childish

Not only childish - but meaningless.

I doubt very much whether it made much difference which of Smith or Davidson was calling the shots on selection. I would guess that members will at the extraordinary general meeting want to refer to wider issues including the coaching and on-field leadership.

There have been some minor improvements this season in some respects - 4 day format mainly but overall we are poor and the dead atmosphere at the ground reflects that poorness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669