England vs USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertFox

Never started one of these before.

Tough game, the US are a half decent side and will set out to frustrate England. I can see it being tight, 0-0, 1-0, 1-1.

My side would be:

James

Johnson King Terry A. Cole

Millner
Lampard Gerrard

Lennon J. Cole
Rooney

But Fabio's team will be 4-4-2 I imagine.

FFS don't feck this one up lads. Never mind 44 years of hurt or the hopes and dreams of a nation, I have to live here and I can't be doing with Americans telling me they're better at "soccerball"!

If they can't get a result against the Yanks, is it game over for England?

Discuss.

I think it's England and USA to qualify from this group whatever the outcome of this game. At least, that's what I've been saying, hoping to play down a possible defeat...

Can't think of a suitable vegetable for the red tops to use (like Turnip Taylor) so would Fabio Crapello be too rude for them?

They can conveniently choose between Fabulous Capello and Fabio Crapello depending on the outcome.

I think these will be the eventual winners though:

095265A4-9A83-8905-C22244B6D8477BF1.jpg

James

Johnson_____Terry_____King_____A. Cole

Gerrard_____Lampard_____Barry_____J. Cole

Crouch_____Rooney​

I think it's England and USA to qualify from this group whatever the outcome of this game. At least, that's what I've been saying, hoping to play down a possible defeat...

It should be us and USA to qualify, we should win today but if not our group is shit so would still expect to qualify

I worry about this one. I have a number of American friends divided by a range of opinions from Reaganite Republicans in Nevada to Texas lawyers to Hispanics in Chicago "pointy headed liberals" in Maryland and Michigan. For about ten years I have held my tongue (usually) on their politics but have derided their soccer. I have particularly attacked the use of cheerleaders at "soccer" matches and was especially eloquent when Ghana beat the USA at the last world cup.

If England lose today the states will be united as never before as people who disagree with each other on everything else will be sending me some very sarcastic e-mails.

If England lose today the states will be united as never before as people who disagree with each other on everything else will be sending me some very sarcastic e-mails.
Tell me about it. If we win none of my american friends will give a shit, if we lose, suddenly they will all be interested and be taking the piss!

Team i think he'll play

Green

Johnson Terry King Cole

Lennon Gerrard Lampard Cole

Rooney Crouch

Team I'd rather he played

Hart

Johnson Terry King Cole

Lampard Carrick Gerrard

Lennon Rooney Cole

I think it's going to be

Green
Johnson, Terry, King, A.Cole
Lennon, Gerrard, Carrick, Lampard, Milner
Rooney

Rooney has said he now prefers playing up front alone, so I think Capello might give him that. Otherwise, it will be Heskey in for Carrick

From the New York Times:

Rooney is "a terror inducing pitbull . . . a man who bears an eerie resemblance to the character Shrek and plays like an ogre among boys"

"And have you seen our defense lately? How can a country of nigh on 310 million people fail to produce four guys who can patrol an 18-by-44-yard rectangle of grass in front of our goal without channeling their inner Monty Python? "

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/usa-england-world-cup-head-to-head-matchups

Foxsports:

Left Midfield: Joe Cole vs. Landon Donovan - Advantage USA

Cole and Donovan are perhaps the two most gifted players to ever wear their national team jerseys. Cole though has always been under appreciated while Donovan has had to carry the burden of being ‘the one.’ If Joe Cole were Brazilian, we would say he’s one of the best in the world however because he’s English, he’s inconsistent, a luxury - ah but what a luxury because when he’s on song he gives England the balance that they need. Donovan has the added pressure of being the USMNT’s best player and talisman. Over the past year there can be no doubt he has matured into that role and embraced it. He’s a tremendous team player with the knack of scoring big goals and he knows these English players – motivation isn’t an issue.

:icon_eek: I like Joe Cole a lot, but the most gifted player ever to wear the England shirt?! Yes, forget about Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and Duncan Edwards, it's all about Joe Cole.

And I don't think I've ever heard him regarded as a luxury tbf, I thought he's always been incredibly well respected as an England player personally.

Last edited:
Des mate, it's simply unthinkable the amount of horrible, horrible stick I'll have to endure from these Americans if we somehow contrive to lose this game.

Come on boys, don't leave us expats to the ignorant, offsides and d-fense, wolves.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/usa-england-world-cup-head-to-head-matchups

Foxsports:

Left Midfield: Joe Cole vs. Landon Donovan - Advantage USA

Cole and Donovan are perhaps the two most gifted players to ever wear their national team jerseys. Cole though has always been under appreciated while Donovan has had to carry the burden of being ‘the one.’ If Joe Cole were Brazilian, we would say he’s one of the best in the world however because he’s English, he’s inconsistent, a luxury - ah but what a luxury because when he’s on song he gives England the balance that they need. Donovan has the added pressure of being the USMNT’s best player and talisman. Over the past year there can be no doubt he has matured into that role and embraced it. He’s a tremendous team player with the knack of scoring big goals and he knows these English players – motivation isn’t an issue.

:icon_eek: I like Joe Cole a lot, but the most gifted player ever to wear the England shirt?! Yes, forget about Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney and Duncan Edwards, it's all about Joe Cole.

And I don't think I've ever heard him regarded as a luxury tbf, I thought he's always been incredibly well respected as an England player personally.

Basically they have just tried to find someone, anyone, that knows anything about "soccer" and had them write something up. It's farcical. 90% of Americans really don't have the foggiest.

Personally I hope that everyone has a thoroughly bloody good time. Forgoe the game and just have tea and sarnies. Perhaps settle the contest with a light hearted game of Pictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566