Eriksson handed £10m to land Heskey and Given

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transfer fee might be a steal, but if he's on £40,000 a week (seems to be typical for a Prem player) and gets a two year contract the total cost would be over £4.5 million.

That's more expensive than paying £3 million for a player and paying him £10,000 a week.

But Howard is already at the club so we won't have to pay a transfer fee for him and would be on much, much cheaper wages.

Why are we comparing him to a player who ended last season as our 5th choice striker anyway? Is that how we decide who to splash the cash on? They would be a steal because they are more mobile than our 5th choice striker? :icon_conf

Fair points both of you, don't know why I compared him to Howard TBH, though our strikers at the minute would be Vassell, Waghorn, Howard so it's not too big a jump. I think Heskey would be a good acquisition though I would sooner Yakubu if we can. However, a strike force of Yakubu, Vassell and Heskey would be nice.

£10k a week would be good wages in this division, and if the player isn't wanted by a Prem team it might be the best offer they get.

A couple of years ago maybe, but I reckon there are quite a few players in this league now earning more. I think the wage bills for the Championship would've gone up a fair bit in the last few seasons, although it's purely guesswork.

I can't imagine we'd be paying Heskey £40k a week. £30k maybe.

But, I do agree with the general point.... £500k is a good fee, but not if his wages are crazy high. I would be happy to see Heskey back in a Leicester shirt though.

Maybe its those rose tinted specs i've got on, but maybe Heskey would be willing to take a pay cut to play for his home town club again?

Would fully expect us to play 4-4-2 if we sign Heskey.

So who out of Abe, King and Wellens is sitting on the bench or leaving? :102:

Does it matter? You cannot play 4-4-2 and expect to last a season with only 2 central midfielders. So we either have a proven, good player alternating on bench, or a shit player on the bench.

Does it matter? You cannot play 4-4-2 and expect to last a season with only 2 central midfielders. So we either have a proven, good player alternating on bench, or a shit player on the bench.

My point is that in a 4-4-2 only one of those three will be part of a midfield four. As such it seems likely to me that at least one of them will leave. :102:

Why only one? They are all central midfielders and in a 4-4-2 you would require 2. What am I missing?

Sven has said that the reason we've operated with a 3 man central midfield so far under his tenure is that the players that we currently have on the books aren't physical enough to play a 4-4-2, hence the extra player in midfield.

Presumably Steven's thinking is that if Sven is going to start playing a 4-4-2, then he will bring in players for the midfield who are physical enough, and it could lead to one or two of the current setup being relegated to the bench.

I'm not sure why this means they would have to leave though? Surely it would just give us more options in midfield to bring off the bench. I'd much rather have Wellens, Abe or King coming off the bench than Oakley, Moussa or N'Guessan...

Last edited:
Oakley was probably our best midfielder in the last 3 months or so of the season. Think he looks a much much better layer playing the defensive midfielder role than as a central midfielder.

My point is that in a 4-4-2 only one of those three will be part of a midfield four. As such it seems likely to me that at least one of them will leave. :102:

Sven has said that the reason we've operated with a 3 man central midfield so far under his tenure is that the players that we currently have on the books aren't physical enough to play a 4-4-2, hence the extra player in midfield.

Presumably Steven's thinking is that if Sven is going to start playing a 4-4-2, then he will bring in players for the midfield who are physical enough, and it could lead to one or two of the current setup being relegated to the bench.

I'm not sure why this means they would have to leave though? Surely it would just give us more options in midfield to bring off the bench. I'd much rather have Wellens, Abe or King coming off the bench than Oakley, Moussa or N'Guessan...

I've said previously that I think it'll be Wellens that gets sold on. King is a fans' favourite and Abe is useful to the club in terms of marketing in the far east. Wellens is the only one who would fetch an 'acceptable' fee too.

Last edited:
Oakley was probably our best midfielder in the last 3 months or so of the season. Think he looks a much much better layer playing the defensive midfielder role than as a central midfielder.

It took him a good few games (and mistakes) to get into it though. Abe is the best defensive midfielder we have by a long way. Oakley was only in the side for his leadership.

I'm not sure why this means they would have to leave though?
Surely it would just give us more options in midfield to bring off the bench. I'd much rather have Wellens, Abe or King coming off the bench than Oakley, Moussa or N'Guessan...

Pretty much my thinking and in the case of any of the players I mentioned, do you think they would to spend too much time bench warming? :102:

Pretty much my thinking and in the case of any of the players I mentioned, do you think they would to spend too much time bench warming? :102:

So who would be our midfield backup? Players who aren't good enough or are too old?

If we were to play 4-4-2 this season and our best three central midfielders were Abe, Wellens and King, I'd be very sceptical about our chances. I really hope a Nigel De Jong type signing is a priority for Sven.

If we were to play 4-4-2 this season and our best three central midfielders were Abe, Wellens and King, I'd be very sceptical about our chances. I really hope a Nigel De Jong type signing is a priority for Sven.

Neil Danns?

Presumably the departure of Houllier from Villa will have some sort of bearing on whether Heskey goes or stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669