Eriksson handed £10m to land Heskey and Given

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's a bad move unless he's good. Gotcha.

:icon_bigg

haha I genuinely hadn't noticed. What I meant was he's probably a bad move unless he's going to be absolutely amazing- just good won't cut it with our fans and their fond, fond memories of some fairly average players (Nalis and Hume come to mind)

we should just sign yakubu for whats been mentioned 2m and freebie kamara for our strikeforce with waghorn and vassel on board as well we would be strong enough up front and defence is a much more serious isue atm. kyle naughton, ben mee would be good buys and a good keeper

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with fahey. (Have I entered the Twilight Zone?)

We don't need another "creator" like Heskey, players like Wellens and Gallagher will create plenty chances for us, all we just need a goalscorer imo. Get Kamara and Yakubu in and we have an attack good enough to win this league, we have been scoring goals for fun in the past few months since they've come in.

What we need after that is some good defenders and a goalkeeper, because our defence in the past few months has also been shocking. It just seems silly to spend a lot of the remaining budget, that really needs to be going on defensive players, on a player like Heskey.

There again, we still do not have a Plan B for when teams park their bus in front of goal and stifle our 'creative passing game'.

No harm in having a Howard MkII in the squad for when a more physical approach is needed.

Cannot rely on Yakubu hanging around the goal with his hands in his pockets if we cannot get the ball to him.

Most people said Yakubu would piss on this league. No reason to think Heskey would not do the same.

If Heskey is available and we aren't spunking our budget on him, I think he'd be a useful asset to the club.

I agree, 'keeper and back four a priority, but if we have money to burn we could do a lot worse than Emile.

It should also be noted that I have always rated Heskey, much to the derision of my peers.

Last edited:
There again, we still do not have a Plan B for when teams park their bus in front of goal and stifle our 'creative passing game'.

No harm in having a Howard MkII in the squad for when a more physical approach is needed.

Cannot rely on Yakubu hanging around the goal with his hands in his pockets if we cannot get the ball to him.

Most people said Yakubu would piss on this league. No reason to think Heskey would not do the same.

I know I've said this several times before, but it's a gripe, but I think this idea that we need a "Plan B" is utter nonsense. WBA and Blackpool both got promoted playing only this patient style of football last season and Swansea could easily do the same this year as well.

Simple fact is, if we'd have had a half-decent defence this season and hadn't made so many stupid defensive errors we'd have made the play-offs even after that dreadful start under Sousa.

If we spend the budget to get a good defence and goalkeeper in and get Yakubu and Kamara back we would be good enough to win this league. Not a doubt in my mind about that.

Besides, we have Howard, is it really worth spending a fair whack of our budget to get a better "Plan B" when so much of "Plan A" needs sorting?

Last edited:
Agreed. His best attributes over his career should technically still be with him despite his age, and in the Championship there's no reason why he couldn't still prove a handful. To be a successful striker at this level, strength and aerial abilities aren't the worst attributes to have. The latter is questionable, but assuming we won't spend ridiculous cash on him it could work out well.

Howard has had his day, time for a change. Despite what people may say, Heskey has genuine qualities left in his locker.

We had more or less the same defence in March and April playing badly that in January and February were playing well.

Or was it that Plan A worked earlier, but then only the defenders were later doing any defending?

The Plan B will be to get a proper wide player in the team. :icon_wink

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with fahey. (Have I entered the Twilight Zone?)

We don't need another "creator" like Heskey, players like Wellens and Gallagher will create plenty chances for us, all we just need a goalscorer imo.

Would they both be in the starting line up next season?
Sven has more than hinted he'd prefer 4-4-2 but our midfield at present is too lightweight.
Unless they're going on a high protein diet and weight training over the next few months, some one from King,Wellens, Abe, Gallagher, Vassell is going to miss out.

Sven has more than hinted he'd prefer 4-4-2 but our midfield at present is too lightweight.
Unless they're going on a high protein diet and weight training over the next few months, some one from King,Wellens, Abe, Gallagher, Vassell is going to miss out.

Or with any luck several of them.

I honestly hope we sell King (for a stupidly inflated transfer fee), however many goals he scores I am not happy with his off the ball work rate and the fact this forces us to play with a 3 man midfield.

I honestly hope we sell King (for a stupidly inflated transfer fee), however many goals he scores I am not happy with his off the ball work rate and the fact this forces us to play with a 3 man midfield.

Crucial factor for keeping him

Crucial factor for keeping him

With a decent forward line and a stronger midfield I don't think his goals would be missed so badly, we won't be starting out like we did this season. If he had a tiny bit more pace or was a stronger competitor off the ball I'd really not want to see him go but for me he just misses out on being anything special.

With a decent forward line and a stronger midfield I don't think his goals would be missed so badly, we won't be starting out like we did this season. If he had a tiny bit more pace or was a stronger competitor off the ball I'd really not want to see him go but for me he just misses out on being anything special.

Just scores a load of goals, nothing special, nothing to see here. Cripes.

You're not happy with his off the ball workrate? **** me! I can't remember us having a player who was so good at getting into positions off the ball and creating opportunities for himself for years. I guess we'll definitely have to agree to disagree on that one.

Last edited:
It will be intriguing to see how King fares next season if he is still here.

No-one has ever really expected him to be a regular contributer to the goal tally, but after this season, he will have a lot of expectations to live up too. Interesting to see if he can handle the pressure or not.

It will be intriguing to see how King fares next season if he is still here.

No-one has ever really expected him to be a regular contributer to the goal tally, but after this season, he will have a lot of expectations to live up too. Interesting to see if he can handle the pressure or not.

he scored a fair whack last season as well. I don't buy the fact he isn't strong enough, I think he does a lot off the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669