european two capital cities trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the time then fly to rome and do vat city too, then train to venice through san marino. From there get train to belgrade (ljubljana, Zagreb on way). Skopje is a pikey pit so i wouldn't bother to be honest.

There hasn't been a railway in San Marino for over 60 years. Even then it was only a single-line cul-de-sac of narrow gauge railway up from Rimini - it was destroyed during the fighting of the Second World War.

... or can think of ways of getting a few capitals in a few days

Eurostar to Paris. After a couple of days, take the overnight TrenHotel to Madrid. Travel in Gran Classe - quite expensive but includes a la carte dinner (including drinks) and 5* breakfast - nice berths overnight with en suite toilet and shower. Fly back from Madrid.

For train travel through Europe and beyond, be sure to consult the Man in Seat 61

There hasn't been a railway in San Marino for over 60 years. Even then it was only a single-line cul-de-sac of narrow gauge railway up from Rimini - it was destroyed during the fighting of the Second World War.
I wasn't planning his itinery for him. If I was I'd have mentioned that the nearest station was Rimini and that is only 45 mins bus ride from SM.
:icon_roll

Last edited:
I wasn't planning his itinery for him. If I was I'd have mentioned that the nearest station was Rimini and that is only 45 mins bus ride from SM.
:icon_roll

You said "train to venice through san marino". No trains go through San Marino - that's what I pointed out. And in any case, the trains from Rome to Venice don't go through Rimini either.

ta Bocster

no train at San Marino makes it tricky to go there, maybe for the Grand Prix one day

and the train one sounds good to knock off Madrid, don't suppose if you know if the train goes via Andorra?

:D

ta Bocster

no train at San Marino makes it tricky to go there, maybe for the Grand Prix one day

and the train one sounds good to knock off Madrid, don't suppose if you know if the train goes via Andorra?

:D

The train from Paris to Madrid actually goes down the Atlantic coast of France and crosses over the border at Irun/Hendaye. The Paris to Barcelona train crosses the border south of La-Tour-de-Carol which is not far from Andorra. As with San Marino there is no railway in Andorra, although a narrow gauge railway does pass fairly close. The nearest main line station is at l'Hospitalet pres de l'Andorre from where Andorra la Vella is an hour and a half's bus ride.

The train from Paris to Madrid actually goes down the Atlantic coast of France and crosses over the border at Irun/Hendaye. The Paris to Barcelona train crosses the border south of La-Tour-de-Carol which is not far from Andorra. As with San Marino there is no railway in Andorra, although a narrow gauge railway does pass fairly close. The nearest main line station is at l'Hospitalet pres de l'Andorre from where Andorra la Vella is an hour and a half's bus ride.

ta muchly

makes sense... i'll leave Andorra with Leichtenstein on my random skiing trips list

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48