Exchanging my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willlow

I'm thinking about exchanging my old car for a new(ish) car and wondered if it was worth me putting the old car through its MOT which runs out in December?

The old car should pass its MOT without any major problems and I was wondering if a car with 12 months MOT would give me a better chance to haggle the price down on the new car or whether the dealers will just give me a set price no matter what the MOT situation?

Any help or other tips will be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking about exchanging my old car for a new(ish) car and wondered if it was worth me putting the old car through its MOT which runs out in December?

The old car should pass its MOT without any major problems and I was wondering if a car with 12 months MOT would give me a better chance to haggle the price down on the new car or whether the dealers will just give me a set price no matter what the MOT situation?

Any help or other tips will be greatly appreciated.

I would guess that if your are Part Exchanging it most dealer won’t give a toss whether it has an MOT or not as they will service it and stick 12 months MOT on it anyway if they plan to sell it or just sell it straight on to a lesser dealer down the road.

I would guess that if your are Part Exchanging it most dealer won’t give a toss whether it has an MOT or not as they will service it and stick 12 months MOT on it anyway if they plan to sell it or just sell it straight on to a lesser dealer down the road.

Yeah I am planning to part exchange it, good news then saves me wasting £50 on a MOT!

Cheers

Don't be too presumptuous.

A few years back, we exchanged a car for newer and it's MOT had just run out.
Had a choice, take the car away, get it MOT'd and come back hoping the car we want is still there, or pay £200.

If you know where you are getting your latest car from, give them a call.

(The place I'm talking about is Motorpoint in Derby)

Depends on a few things.

If the 'dealer' is a mainstream dealer, Ford, Audi etc, they will probably not be to bothered as it will be sent off to auction.

If its a 'dealer' that intends on re-selling your car on its own lot, the MOT will make a difference. Putting a car through an MOT costs money, especially if it needs afew things putting right.

OK second question,

The MOT on the car runs out mid-december. If I put the car through the MOT at the beginning of November and it failed would the MOT still be vaild until mid-december?

OK second question,

The MOT on the car runs out mid-december. If I put the car through the MOT at the beginning of November and it failed would the MOT still be vaild until mid-december?

ooooooh good question. I don't know!:icon_bigg

EDIT: Although im pretty sure the MOT till mid dec would remain as is.

Last edited:
OK second question,

according to my OH ( he is a mechanic) the MOT would still be valid til mid-Dec but if it passed it would be valid til next Nov - but you probably knew that :icon_bigg

OK second question,

If you continued to use the car after MOT failure, you could not be prosecuted for driving without an MOT, because you do have a valid MOT. It may be however that the MOT failure is a sign that your vehicle is unroadworthy and you could certainly be prosecuted for that.

Thanks for the help.

My thinking is that for £50 I will get the MOT done and if it passes I should be able to get more in the part exchange for the old car. If it fails I will simply get rid of the car before the MOT runs out in December.

Thanks for the help.

My thinking is that for £50 I will get the MOT done and if it passes I should be able to get more in the part exchange for the old car. If it fails I will simply get rid of the car before the MOT runs out in December.

My experience is that you get a book price regardless (or auction house price, depending on where they send the car)

My experience is that you get a book price regardless (or auction house price, depending on where they send the car)

Anything extra you get will be a measure of how much the dealer wants/needs to get rid of the car he is selling you - and nothing to do with the fact your car has 11 months MOT and furry dice.

I'm also looking for another car, and like Willlow i currently have an old car that will still be good for another year if its put through an m.o.t.
Yesterday i went to a car dealer, and he offered me £100 for my car against the valuation of the one i wanted to buy.
Imo i thought that was a bit of a piss take. Not totally sure, but i thought you could get about £200 for scrapping it. Also, even the oldest of old bangers still seem to go for £3-400 in the Mockery providing you have got some tax and m.o.t on it.
My car is old (98) with a high mileage, but it still a good little motor for anyone who has just passed a test and wants a cheap 1st vehichle.
Not sure now whether to bother trying to get rid of it on my own:102:

I'm also looking for another car, and like Willlow i currently have an old car that will still be good for another year if its put through an m.o.t.
Yesterday i went to a car dealer, and he offered me £100 for my car against the valuation of the one i wanted to buy.
Imo i thought that was a bit of a piss take. Not totally sure, but i thought you could get about £200 for scrapping it. Also, even the oldest of old bangers still seem to go for £3-400 in the Mockery providing you have got some tax and m.o.t on it.
My car is old (98) with a high mileage, but it still a good little motor for anyone who has just passed a test and wants a cheap 1st vehichle.

A lot will depend on what it is and how much MOT is on it. Have a look on ebay. That should give you a rough idea of what it might fetch. Most scrappies will give you 50-150 depending on what it is.

Not tempted to use it in the car scrappage scheme?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-yEWZTBQ64[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573