Football League Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggie_muz

I was having an argument with a couple of people at work and thought I would canvass opinion from elsewhere.

It's a much covered topic, but is the football league playoff system a 'fair' system?

My argument is that it is fair on account of all teams knowing the rules at the start of the season. While hindsight would see F*rest prefer a 3 automatic system, at the start of the season I would estimate that only Newcastle, WBA and possibly Middlesborough would have voted for this system ahead of the 2+4 that we actually have.

Does anyone have any strong views on the fairness of the playoffs one way or the other?

(As a side note, I was also arguing that the playoff system resulted in a greater chance of the promoted team staying up, as it weights the probability of going up to a team's form / performance in the latter part of the season which is easier to carry into the next season).

i would say it's a slight knock on fairness in order to satisfy football's holy god, Mammon

the sunshine trip to Wembley, wringing out more pennies from loyal fans

I was having an argument with a couple of people at work and thought I would canvass opinion from elsewhere.

It's a much covered topic, but is the football league playoff system a 'fair' system?

My argument is that it is fair on account of all teams knowing the rules at the start of the season. While hindsight would see F*rest prefer a 3 automatic system, at the start of the season I would estimate that only Newcastle, WBA and possibly Middlesborough would have voted for this system ahead of the 2+4 that we actually have.

Does anyone have any strong views on the fairness of the playoffs one way or the other?

(As a side note, I was also arguing that the playoff system resulted in a greater chance of the promoted team staying up, as it weights the probability of going up to a team's form / performance in the latter part of the season which is easier to carry into the next season).

Whether it's fair or not, whether you're a fan of it or not is almost irrelevent as without it the season would have been over a long time ago for 80% of the league, and there wouldn't be the entertainment there is without it!

I for one am a fan of the excitement it brings to people and keeps the love of the game alive. Who ever finishes 3rd is bound to feel a bit hard done to, but no where near as much as Portsmouth did the year we beat them after being a cricket score behind them in points achieved over the season! It is what it is, and I love it! (unless we lose in the final!)

It's perhaps not entirely "fair", in the sense that why shouldn't the team who's 3rd, and therefore been the third best team over the course of the season automatically go up, rather than a team who have perhaps just hit form in the latter half of the season.

But, as you say.... all the teams know that going in, and I think the majority of the clubs would keep it as is. They all know the setup to begin with, and it is fair in that everyone obviously has the same chance. It adds excitement to the end of the season, and gives more clubs something to play for.

I love the playoffs.

I don't think it is fair following a gruelling season a Playoff final or any final for that matter can be settled by a penalty shoot out, but what else is there to do?

I don't think it is fair following a gruelling season a Playoff final or any final for that matter can be settled by a penalty shoot out, but what else is there to do?

There's only one way to settle this..........FIIIIGHT!!

We had this conversation in the pub one night many years ago and came up with a two versus two, instead of a one on one penalty shot.
Two strikers against one defender and the keeper, with the ball placed on a new penalty spot located midway between the centre circle and the penalty area. So it'd be best of five set plays.

We thought we'd cracked it and came up with a full set of rules, but we were very drunk.

We had this conversation in the pub one night many years ago and came up with a two versus two, instead of a one on one penalty shot.
Two strikers against one defender and the keeper, with the ball placed on a new penalty spot located midway between the centre circle and the penalty area. So it'd be best of five set plays.

We thought we'd cracked it and came up with a full set of rules, but we were very drunk.

I prefer the ice-hockey style 1-1 from the half way line. Much more exciting.

I prefer the ice-hockey style 1-1 from the half way line. Much more exciting.

From our current squad, I would have Fryatt, Waghorn, Dyer, King and Wellens take our 1-on-1s. Probably Nicky Adams if he was in the team.

I love the playoffs, its what makes the lower leagues so exciting. Scrap them and the gap between the PREM and lower leagues increases.

You what now? Can you explain this?:102:

How about his ability to smeck a ball twelve yards?

Slightly more confidence in his set-piece ability - I don't think we should task the poor lad with thinking about more than one thing at once.

Who cares whether it is fair, I think the play offs are the best bit about the season and are right. The top two teams are already up which is good and the rest of the top 10 are as good as each other as proven this year so the play offs are a good way of deciding the last play off place and they are very entertaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669