Frozen user Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

Me and my girlfriend both have separate user accounts on our laptop, mine works fine, I can log in and do everything.
The problem is when she tries to log onto her side, as soon as the windows page loads the cursor suddenly freezes and we can't do anything. Everything is still working as you can use the keyboard to get around but trying to move the cursor is useless.

Anyone got any idea on how to get it working again?

Macky

Gruntled Member
If you have admin rights for your username, I'd start by creating a new profile for her. Her current one is obviously corrupted, how it has gotten corrupted is anybody's guess.

*edit* Which OS is it?

Last edited:

KempsonFox

If you have admin rights for your username, I'd start by creating a new profile for her. Her current one is obviously corrupted, how it has gotten corrupted is anybody's guess.

*edit* Which OS is it?

Excuse my computer ignorance, will creating a new profile lose all of her programmes, I-tunes etc?

Also what does OS stand for?

Last edited:

KempsonFox

No need to excuse yourself

Thank you:icon_bigg

Sorry, Operating System. XP? Vista? Other?

Vista

It shouldn't do. Can you access those programs from your user account?
Yep, but her Itunes is full of shit songs which she doesn't want to lose where as mine is full of class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macky

Gruntled Member
Yep, but her Itunes is full of shit songs which she doesn't want to lose where as mine is full of class.

If your user account is an Admin account, you should be able to access all of her files.
Click Start > Computer > C: drive > Users > HerUserName

GazLCFC

I have a similer problem, although not sure related to yours as your account is working fine.

When I turn the laptop on the desktop loads but the curser and keyboard are frozen. If I then leave it until the low battery warning comes on every thing works fine. Since this started the battery doesn't hold its charge.

Could the battery be causing the problem? Would getting a new one help?

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
I have a similer problem, although not sure related to yours as your account is working fine.

When I turn the laptop on the desktop loads but the curser and keyboard are frozen. If I then leave it until the low battery warning comes on every thing works fine. Since this started the battery doesn't hold its charge.

What happens if you take the battery out and use the laptop whilst plugged into the mains?

Macky

Gruntled Member

That seems bizarre, but I'm not sure the problem is related to your battery. It could be two separate problems.
There may be some process running, causing your PC to lock up, that takes so long to clear your battery has run low by the time you get control.

Matt_B

That seems bizarre, but I'm not sure the problem is related to your battery. It could be two separate problems.
There may be some process running, causing your PC to lock up, that takes so long to clear your battery has run low by the time you get control.

I may be wrong here but I always thought that when the battery runs low (or you have it set to power saving mode), the OS kills off any services that are running in the background but that aren't being accessed to try to maximise power.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
I may be wrong here but I always thought that when the battery runs low (or you have it set to power saving mode), the OS kills off any services that are running in the background but that aren't being accessed to try to maximise power.

That's why I suggested isolating the battery to see whether it is involved with the problem.

GazLCFC

That makes sense then (I think) as the battery is knackered there is not enough power to run the laptop.

Thing is though, it doesn't work when the battery is in and the mains source also. Does the battery work first or something (if you know what I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669