Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrislcfc18

I can now see why the regulars who go and see City get so frustrated. I went today, first time since the Blackpool FA Cup match, and i have to say the team doesnt seem to care whether they win, lose or draw.

MDV to me is a total waste of time. I think i counted 2 headers that he won in the first half and 1 of them was under no challenge. In the second half he had a decent shout for a penalty, how the referee got that one wrong i will never know.

Also have to question Leveins tactics. Brought Tiatto off for Moore when everyone expected MDV to come off. Tiatto was one of the best on display second only to McCarthy who looks like he's the only one who cares (he gave Joey a right mouthful after he lost the ball on the edge of the box)

Wigan thoroughly deserved the victory. They came forward as a unit and defended as a unit. Every player wanted the ball and you can see why they are likely to go up. Levein ought to watch Wigan over and over on video as that is exactly how we should be playing

wigan are 2nd for a reason as we are 16th. Anyone who expected anything out of today's game was/is sadly deluded.
i'd like to see everyones player scores for today though.

Tiatto is a lot better when he has Stewart behind him IMO. They link up well and i really can't see why he doesn't play him. Also, I think MDV didn't come off as he would of been booed by the crowd which could have severly harmed his confidence

FOX MENTAL said:
Tiatto is a lot better when he has Stewart behind him IMO. They link up well and i really can't see why he doesn't play him. Also, I think MDV didn't come off as he would of been booed by the crowd which could have severly harmed his confidence

IMO it doesnt matter if he had been booed or not, he hadnt had a good game, 20,000 fans could see that, he should have come off to give someone else a chance. Having said that Levein may have been thinking that the more height and strength we had in the box the more chance we have at scoring. MDV was nearly as bad as Akinbiyi with his lack of control.

For once i would like us to play without a target man up front. Not necessarily to strikers who have no height at all but i would just like to see if we can do anything other than hoof the ball up to the big striker and rely on flick on's for the likes of Connolly. Playing this way may mean we have to pass and move more often which could break teams down more.

Wigan didnt play with a target man. I know jason Roberts has the ability to head the ball but i wouldnt call him a target man, i think he is more of an all round player, and he has a lot of pace.

Why have we stopped playing 4-5-1. :?: :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

I think the sensible thing would have been to take MdV off at half time, and put Dublin up front. We looked much more of a threat when he moved forward.

I can understand why MdV wasn't taken off. If a player whop's obviously low on confidence gets booed off when he's subbed it might take him a long time to get over it, so CL is trying to protect him. But he could have avoided the situation by bringing him off at half time.

I'd like to see Dublin up front on Tuesday, he looks much better now than he did earlier in the season and we need someone who knows how to play as a target man, and can score goals. I don't think Moore can do that, and obviously MdV can't at the moment.

Wigan were much better than I thought they would be, they certainly played better today than they did at their place earlier in the season. They won all the loose balls in midfield, battled for everything, never allowed our players to settle on the ball, and looked very dangerous from set pieces. Reminded me of MON's early Premiership years.

Steven said:
Why have we stopped playing 4-5-1. :?: :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

4-5-1 could be an idea, but I don't think Connolly could really do very well as a lone striker, and we don't want MDV as our only striker on the pitch :eek:

To be honest, I think we're just going to accept the fact that we're crap for the rest of this season, and then let Levein bring 2/3 new strikers into the club in the summer. You can mix up the tactics, formations and personnel all you want, but the truth is I think that the strikers we currently have simply aren't good enough, and no amount of shuffling will change that :?

I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading on here, was I at a different game today or something?

Tiatto was awful. People seem to view his performances with rose-tinted specs. His control and touch is poor, and often when we tried to string a few passes together he would lose it. When he does lose the ball he just fouls, and at one point he went in for 2 challenges in the space of thirty seconds with his studs up about 3ft in the air. Effort passion and commitment is one thing, but it only gets you so far - Tiatto isn't good enough. He was meant to be playing on the left of midfield and kept drifting away all over the pitch. Then, if and when we had an attack on the left and Maybury or Gudjonsson looked for him there, he was nowhere to be seen!

McCarthy - I can see that he has the makings of a good player in him but he made too many mistakes and in the first half gave a lot of clumsy fould away.

Dabizas did nothing to inspire me with confidence and every time he went in for a challenge in and around the box I was scared he'd give away a penalty.

De Vries - he tried, he huffed and puffed but possibly with the exception of 10-20mins at the end of the second half, he had a bad game and just didn't produce. He fails to win an amazing amount of headers for how tall he is. He was, however, fouled in the box and we should have had a penalty.

Dublin was our best player today, very collected and calm, wasn't troubled when in defence and put De Vries to shame when he was pushed up front for the last 20mins.

Maybury was very impressive, he tried all he could to be enterprising but there was no one for him to link up with on the left because of Tiatto's aimless wondering.

Williams had a decent enough game.

Gudjonsson made a few mistakes today and I don't like the side of him that exaggerates things when he gets fouled, apart from that he was decent enough today.

Gillespie was good until he came off. Tracked back endlessly in the first half and made a couple of timely interventions in our own box, which shouldn't his job. Less impressive though with his attacking play.

Connolly was non-existant first half - through no fault of his own - and second half he looked pretty good and made a couple of good touches and runs.

Ref - what a moron. How could he not give the penalty? Also, if he had done his job properly then Wigan wouldn't have scored at all. For the first, the free-kick was taken 5yards away from where McCarthy's foul was committed, and for the second it wasn't even a corner to start with.

I disagree with Levein saying Wigan deserved the win, granted we were nowhere near our best, and quite a way from being good, but Wigan wern't much better. I genuinly hope they don't go up, they think they are better than they are. Countless amounts of time-wasting and exaggeration when fouled, eg when Tiatto swung for a shot in the second half and the Wigan player pretended he'd been struck by Tiatto's boot. It was appalling.

webmaster said:
Wigan were much better than I thought they would be, they certainly played better today than they did at their place earlier in the season. They won all the loose balls in midfield, battled for everything, never allowed our players to settle on the ball, and looked very dangerous from set pieces. Reminded me of MON's early Premiership years.

The only reason Wigan looked anything near good or competitive wa because our players wern't competing enough.

pipes said:
webmaster said:

The only reason Wigan looked anything near good or competitive wa because our players wern't competing enough.

Is that why they're second in the table then, because their opponents all have a bad game against them?

Or do their opponents all have a bad game because Wigan don't allow them to play? Our players are used to having more time on the ball than Wigan gave them, and it showed just how slow some of our players are. I'm just glad Nalis didn't play, he wouldn't have got a kick today.

When we first got into the Premiership we did to Premiership teams what Wigan did to us today. We always moaned because we were never given credit for it, if we won it was always said that it was because our opponents had an off day, but so many of them had an off day because we didn't let them play.

So I think we should give Wigan credit for the way they played. They don't have a great deal of quality, but they're well organised, they work hard, and they know what they're supposed to do. That can be enough to get you promoted in this league.

Good luck to Wigan. IMO it would be good to see a new team in the prem.
I am convinced we will not go down. Brighton,Crewe, Cardiff,Gillingham,Watford and Cov would all be happy to swap places with us and of those 6 sides they are not all going to end the season in a blaze of glory.

webmaster said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:

Is that why they're second in the table then, because their opponents all have a bad game against them?

Or do their opponents all have a bad game because Wigan don't allow them to play? Our players are used to having more time on the ball than Wigan gave them, and it showed just how slow some of our players are. I'm just glad Nalis didn't play, he wouldn't have got a kick today.

When we first got into the Premiership we did to Premiership teams what Wigan did to us today. We always moaned because we were never given credit for it, if we won it was always said that it was because our opponents had an off day, but so many of them had an off day because we didn't let them play.

So I think we should give Wigan credit for the way they played. They don't have a great deal of quality, but they're well organised, they work hard, and they know what they're supposed to do. That can be enough to get you promoted in this league.

The fact that we were generally pretty awful today, and that Wigan only won 2-0 - through 2 goals that shouldn't have been - tells me that the difference between us and them isn't that great and none of the teams in this league are that great. Like you said, being well organised and knowing what you're supposed to do can get you up there - Wigan are there only because of the lack of quality and consistancy in the rest of the league.

Ipswich and Sunderland deserve to go up, not Wigan. I can't explain why Wigan are where they are, but if the referees are like that with them every week then it must go someway to explaining it. Ipswich were a better side when they played us here, as were Sunderland.

pipes said:
webmaster said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:

The fact that we were generally pretty awful today, and that Wigan only won 2-0 - through 2 goals that shouldn't have been - tells me that the difference between us and them isn't that great and none of the teams in this league are that great. Like you said, being well organised and knowing what you're supposed to do can get you up there - Wigan are there only because of the lack of quality and consistancy in the rest of the league.

Ipswich and Sunderland deserve to go up, not Wigan. I can't explain why Wigan are where they are, but if the referees are like that with them every week then it must go someway to explaining it. Ipswich were a better side when they played us here, as were Sunderland.

2 strikers who have scored something like 43 goals between them would be one explanation.

The fact is playing the long ball is getting too predictable. Relying on flick-on's is more hopeful than skill. granted, we havent got a player who can produce that bit of magic when we really need it but maybe practising pass and move skills, 3 or 4 touch matches in training. The only time i think that kicking the ball upfield and hoping your own player gets it is when your desperately clearing out of your own box whether that be upfield or row Z of the stand.

When Levein first arrived we used the wings a hell of alot and put no end of crosses in to the box but that doesnt seem to happen as often now.

chrislcfc18 said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:

2 strikers who have scored something like 43 goals between them would be one explanation.

The fact is playing the long ball is getting too predictable. Relying on flick-on's is more hopeful than skill. granted, we havent got a player who can produce that bit of magic when we really need it but maybe practising pass and move skills, 3 or 4 touch matches in training. The only time i think that kicking the ball upfield and hoping your own player gets it is when your desperately clearing out of your own box whether that be upfield or row Z of the stand.

When Levein first arrived we used the wings a hell of alot and put no end of crosses in to the box but that doesnt seem to happen as often now.

no crosses coming in might be to do with the fact Tiatto doesn't play where he's meant to

I thought Wigan were a very good team. Kavanagh was very good in the middle and his crossing from set plays was the best i have seen in this league. They also had two good strikers up front in Ormerod and Roberts, who looked very good players, something we just did not have. Also, people say our MDV was bad today, which he was, but remember Wigan have conceeded the least in the league and did look solid and comfortable in defence all game. All in all, i felt Wigan were a very good side, and even if they did get some lucky decisions, they took there chances, Something we DONT do!!!!

I would also agree with pipes about Tiatto. He drifts out of position far too often and leaves us exposed at Lb. His first touch has been poor, ands he commits a lot of needless fouls.

Ipswich and Sunderland deserve to go up, not Wigan. I can't explain why Wigan are where they are, but if the referees are like that with them every week then it must go someway to explaining it. Ipswich were a better side when they played us here, as were Sunderland

But you have not seen them on a weekly basis and IMO they have 2 players up front who have scored 40+ this season in a team thats had some thumping good wins. Its no fluke that they are up there,in the same way that our league position exposes the poor season we have had.

pipes said:
no crosses coming in might be to do with the fact Tiatto doesn't play where he's meant to

And when he does get in a position to cross he often pisses about so much he loses the chance.
Like just before he went off today when he got into a good position, but it was on his right foot, which he only uses for standing on. By the time he'd taken a few more touches to get into a position to cross it with his left foot the defender had recovered and the chance had gone.

pipes said:
chrislcfc18 said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:
pipes said:
webmaster said:

I can't understand why Stewart is not playing. He is a good winger/ wing back/ left back. HE should be playing

chrislcfc18 said:

Under pressure people tend to make the wrong decisions. City are a side under pressure at the moment. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669