Gerrard's Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo

Gerrard's had a change of heart as is now staying at Liverpool for the time being.....How many more twists in this saga!!!!!

Carlo said:
Gerrard's had a change of heart as is now staying at Liverpool for the time being.....How many more twists in this saga!!!!!

Liverpool Echo said:
STEVEN GERRARD is to stay at Liverpool - that is the astonishing news this morning after a complete u-turn by the Reds skipper.

Not 24 hours after announcing to the club he did not wish to sign a new contract and stay at Anfield, Rick Parry informed the media shortly before 9am today (Wednesday) that Gerrard had told him of his change of heart.

Contract negotiations started with the Huyton-born captain only a week ago but reports over the weekend alluded to those talks breaking down, with the player's agent Struan Marshall announcing on Monday that talks had broken down and were 'unlikely to resume'.

Chelsea reportedly lodged a £32million bid yesterday (Tuesday) which was turned down by Liverpool but were tipped to return with an improved bid, with interest from Real Madrid and the leading Italian clubs also expected to follow.

Liverpool then confirmed that the skipper, who lifted the European Cup in Istanbul only six weeks ago, had told the club he would not be extending his contract, which runs out in two years, and wanted to leave the club.

Yet, before the expected bidding war for the player's services has even got underway, a new twist in the story has emerged.

Rick Parry told Sky Sports News: "Stevie's decided to stay. It's a little bit like last year, only even more dramatic.

"Steven realises how much the club means to him."

"In the language he used to us, he never said he wanted to go. He never said 'I wanted to go'.

"I think in the last 24 hours he has reflected on it, he's thought it through and he wants to stay.

"There were lots of late-night phone calls and early morning phone calls. I couldn't be more delighted. It is what we wanted all along."

The Reds skipper is now expected to sign the £100,000-a-week contract that he reportedly rejected less than 48 hours ago and finally end the circus surrounding his future that has dragged on for more than a year.

Source

"Steven realises how much the club means to him."

Suuuure. More like they offered to up his wages hugely.

I feel a bit sorry for him (cash aside).
I think Liverpool were a tad fortunate winning the cup last season and I don't think they'll really be in contention for any silverware to be fair.
He isn't being allowed to make any move because of death threats and the the misplaced feeling he'll be turning his back on his home town. He's given them enough already and if he wants to try pastures new (for whatever reason) he shouldn't be vilified for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566