Getting Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

I am interested in getting Sky+ but don't have a phone line and don't have any intention in getting one. Is it still possible to get it?
I went on the website to buy it but it's saying I must have an active phone line or be getting one in the next 6 weeks.Surely other people have Sky without a phone line?

I am interested in getting Sky+ but don't have a phone line and don't have any intention in getting one. Is it still possible to get it?
I went on the website to buy it but it's saying I must have an active phone line or be getting one in the next 6 weeks.Surely other people have Sky without a phone line?

I didn't need one, but they charged me more to set up because a guy had to come out to activate evrything instead of doing it over the phone.

I didn't need one, but they charged me more to set up because a guy had to come out to activate evrything instead of doing it over the phone.

Sky isn't activated via the phone line, it's activated via the satellite signal. There's no need for them to send someone out just to activate it.

The reason they want people to connect it to the phone is for the pay per view stuff, plus things like Skybet that use the phone to communicate with Sky.
It's not required for their normal services, I think they charge extra for people without phone lines because they can get away with it.

Sky isn't activated via the phone line, it's activated via the satellite signal. There's no need for them to send someone out just to activate it.

The reason they want people to connect it to the phone is for the pay per view stuff, plus things like Skybet that use the phone to communicate with Sky.
It's not required for their normal services, I think they charge extra for people without phone lines because they can get away with it.

Not quite true, the activation does test for a phone connection and will not proceed via the satellite signal without it present. The engineer would have to talk to the call centre and get them to activate from their end.

Not quite true, the activation does test for a phone connection and will not proceed via the satellite signal without it present. The engineer would have to talk to the call centre and get them to activate from their end.

But if they know in advance there's no phone line (which they should), they should do the "no phone line activation" without the need to send an engineer.

But if they know in advance there's no phone line (which they should), they should do the "no phone line activation" without the need to send an engineer.

Depends on how you are obtaining Sky+. Unless you are installing it yourself then an engineer is going to have to visit anyway.

I've had sky installed without a phone line twice before. By the time the engineer has done all the cabling outside and fitted the dish, theres no way hes gonna take it all down again when he realises thers no active phoneline, he'll just phone the call centre, say the phone lines are down in the area and voila :icon_wink

I've had sky installed without a phone line twice before. By the time the engineer has done all the cabling outside and fitted the dish, theres no way hes gonna take it all down again when he realises thers no active phoneline, he'll just phone the call centre, say the phone lines are down in the area and voila :icon_wink

Isn't it (or wasn't it) a condition of the contract with Sky that you had an active telephone line prior to installation?

Isn't it (or wasn't it) a condition of the contract with Sky that you had an active telephone line prior to installation?

Read the thread.

Silly me - the clue was there in the first post :icon_wink

However, as it seems to be a contractual condition that you have a telephone line, isn't anyone getting as far as having a dish fitted before the installer finds out you didn't in fact have a telephone line, leaving themselves wide open to legal action for breach of contract?

Going back to this wonderful thread, anyone know whether you can pay the year in one go or does it have to be direct debit?

Going back to this wonderful thread, anyone know whether you can pay the year in one go or does it have to be direct debit?

It doesn't have to be Direct Debit, but you face a £4 a month charge without it.

You would pay a lump sump and the credit would reduce each month as per your bill.

i see their prices are going up again, i think its from next month, i think mine has gone up £2.50/month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669