Gilbert Kinch

Status
Not open for further replies.
With hindsight we can see that the appointment of Peter Taylor and backing him with over £20 million was a disaster. This was not apparent at the time. When Leicester appointed Taylor rather than the other main candidate Joe Kinnear we were seen as appointing a brilliant candidate. This was the man who had been regarded as a superb England Under 21 manager. The worry was that he was going to eventually leave us to go and manage England. Little did we know. Incidentally one name occasionally mentioned at the time was David Moyes but he was seen as not having proved himself. In retrospect Moyes would probably have been the right choice but hindsight is easy.

When Leicester appointed Taylor rather than the other main candidate Joe Kinnear we were seen as appointing a brilliant candidate.

I recall shaking my head in utter disbelief when we appointed Twatlor. I think pretty much all my City supporting friends did too. He was so completely opposite to MON that it always had the stink of disaster. Especially partnered with gormless Elsom and Rodney Walker (a man who at least admitted to knowing absolutely nothing about football).

Kinnear was far from ideal but at least he would have continued with a similar style of play and motivational techniques.

Even when we were briefly topping the Premier League, many supporters still had the feeling that the good days were over. All the ingrediants that had made up the successful team were being eroded.

At the time Leicester had a policy of appointing young, hungry, up and coming managers, Taylor fitted that profile, mainly because of his success with the U21s and beating Sheff Weds in a cup tie.

At the time I would have preferred Kinnear and had my doubts about Taylor but I don't think anyone foresaw the disaster to follow.

I recall shaking my head in utter disbelief when we appointed Twatlor. I think pretty much all my City supporting friends did too.

I ran a poll when O'Neill left, and Taylor was the most popular choice.

From the old news page on Filbertstreet.net:

"Taylor came out top in our new manager poll, taking 44% of the votes. Joe Kinnear received 30.5%"

I Don't think anyone can be blamed for Taylors appointment, it was on the face of it a positive one.

If certain people were still on the board however, he likely wouldn't have had as much money to spend, but more importantly he wouldn't have been able to spend what he had so freely.

We also have to remember the context. The Sky deal with the Premier League went up hugely in 2000/2001 and City wanted to show ambition and spend some of the new improved Sky money.

We should have learned after that first season that PT wasn't buying great talent and yet he got more the following summer - when there was an opportunity for him to return rto England duty ... but the board improved his contract.

I remember sitting in a press lunch about a week before the 2001/02 season started and there was an air of incredulity shown by PT and Jonh Elsom when one of the press back started to ask about how quickly the club could get to safety ..... PT was adamant we were aiming for Europe which was why he'd bought in Dennis Wise!!!!

As you know we lost 5-0 to Bolton ..... still it is factually true that we sacked PT (a manager that had kept us in the Prem and replaced him with Dave Bassett ( a manager that got us relegated). I'm not saying PT would have kept us up ....... but who knows.

PS ..... I'll alway associate PT with Junior Lewis! That was not really ambitious was it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669