Glad of a point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Elsby

I cannot believe the publicly voiced delight at getting a point against West Ham. After one game City are two points off the pace and suffering from the same complaint that got us relegated last year - failing to win home games. Of course the 10-men deserve great credit but a winning football team must be like an SAS squad - all in it together. Its no use one man going AWOL and it reflects another long lasting problem at Leicester...a lack of discipline. Of course its early in the season but how many titles and promotion spots end up being decided by a point or two?. In war if you don't focus, you and/or your colleagues are likely to get killed. City players and their manager need to focus now, 100 per cent, and start by forgettting all the flattering publicity they've been getting. Leicester City will only fulfil their undoubted potential when they start getting ruthless. On the playing side that means being tough enough to stay on the pitch no matter what the provocation and off the pitch it means having Premiership standard catering. The two things are connected because sloppiness won't win anything. Spartacus

I am going to ignore this thread, if i respond and get into an argument about this again i think i will spontaniously combust with rage.

Sod it........ WE WERE DOWN TO 10 MEN, PLAYING ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE, IN 100 DEGREE HEAT WITH VIRTUALLY HALF A NEW SQUAD PLAYING THEIR FIRST COMPETITIVE GAME WITH EACH OTHER..... AND ACTUALLY PLAYED NOT BAD!!!!!!!!

Manged to get through that without combu............ BANG!!!!!! *babylon explodes with anger and burns to a pile of dust*

It is Tony Elsby, leader of the armies of the north, husband to a murdered wife and father to a murdered child.

He will have his vengence.....

Dunc said:
It is Tony Elsby, leader of the armies of the north, husband to a murdered wife and father to a murdered child.

He will have his vengence.....

And i hope you have a spell checker.

Babylon said:
I am going to ignore this thread, if i respond and get into an argument about this again i think i will spontaniously combust with rage.

Sod it........ WE WERE DOWN TO 10 MEN, PLAYING ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE, IN 100 DEGREE HEAT WITH VIRTUALLY HALF A NEW SQUAD PLAYING THEIR FIRST COMPETITIVE GAME WITH EACH OTHER..... AND ACTUALLY PLAYED NOT BAD!!!!!!!!

Manged to get through that without combu............ BANG!!!!!! *babylon explodes with anger and burns to a pile of dust*

Near 100 degrees heat and a new team playing their first match - all the more reason for everyone to stay on the pitch and stay focused. QED

i somehow doubt that the champions of this season, and the relegation canditates have all been decided after the first game of this season-you can't say leicester aren't gonna get promoted because they drew there first game-west brom lost about 5-1 to walsall last season on the opening day and i think we all kno who got promoted and who got relegated :wink:

Tony Elsby said:
Babylon said:

Near 100 degrees heat and a new team playing their first match - all the more reason for everyone to stay on the pitch and stay focused. QED

People get sent off all the time, teams will lose players 3,4,5 times this year due to reds. Get use to it!!! Of course he shouldnt of kicked out but shit happens. To slag anyone off after one game is just silly!

Alan_theLCFCloon said:
As they say its a maratthon (spelling) not a sprint

exacdamundo!!!!!!

Tony Elsby said:
Babylon said:

I am one of the more critical posters here -but I thought a draw would have been an acceptable result anyway -given the very big changes in personnel & lack of chance to gel in competitive matches & the reasonable standard of the opposition - so that achieved with 10 men for the majority of the game was at least an half decent performance. My main gripe is the continuing regression of Jordan Stewart. With Tiatto suspended you would have thought he might have seen this as a real opportunity to stake a claim for one of the left flank positions - but he just doesn't want to know.

I agree that a point was an ok result in the circumstances and that Stewart was pants and has been for a while (since he earned his new contract - could there be a coincidence :roll: )

i can never understand that when we play some team that has someone sent off we can never capitolise on it as the opposition raise their workrate, but when we lose a player it never works the same way.
:?

I cannot believe that after one game people are already being negative and moaning, 0-0 against one of our main rivals in the division despite being down to 10 men for most of the game.

West Ham have some decent players and we still managed to get a result I think this proves that this team is not only going to be the best team in the league but also that they are going to scrap and fight for every point ! That will be vital in this league when a lot of teams will try to battle us off the park, we will be able to match and then let our superior ability tell.

Oh and by the way we still have Tiatto and Gudjonsen to come into the side yet.

STOP WHINGEING !!!!!!

A bit of whingeing if it gets people concentrating on the job wee't be a bad thing and is certainly better than the meaningless carping of we're gonna do this, we're gonna do that and then finding that things go wrong. We went down last season not because we weren't good enough but because we were too soft mentally and too nieve. We got ourselves good leads but lacked the strategy and the strength of will to keep em.
Perhaps everything in a season doesn't hinge on the first game or two but equally, perhaps it does. If Leicester hadn't backed off and given a two-goal lead away against Southampton early last year then perhaps we wouldn't have been in the nervous frame of mind that let us lose a three goal lead against Wolves etc .. these things count.The season starts on day one and I for one have never seen the point in giving the opposition anything at all if you don't have to - especially a one man advantage. Winning championships means winning matches - not drawing 0-0 at home. As for West Ham being one of the leading contenders that's just supposition too. There's a division full of teams who all have their own ambitions and all need beating. I'll be full of praise for the team if they start doing just that and, hopefully, in a bit a style too.

Fair point about getting into the right frame of mind and a winning mentality, but in premiership context this would be like Arsenal being down to 10 men after 15 mins against Man Utd and managing to draw 0-0 they would be over the moon and so should we be. It could have been a lot worse, imagine if we had been turned over 3-0 the morale and spirit could have been destroyed a la Bolton ( 5-0 ) in the dark old days.

This result will have given the team a massive boost and proved we can compete against the best in the league even with 10 men. Lets be positive this result is something to build on for the rest of the season.

Keep the Faith said:
Fair point about getting into the right frame of mind and a winning mentality, but in premiership context this would be like Arsenal being down to 10 men after 15 mins against Man Utd and managing to draw 0-0 they would be over the moon and so should we be. It could have been a lot worse, imagine if we had been turned over 3-0 the morale and spirit could have been destroyed a la Bolton ( 5-0 ) in the dark old days.

This result will have given the team a massive boost and proved we can compete against the best in the league even with 10 men. Lets be positive this result is something to build on for the rest of the season.

I am positive. I don't want us to compete with "the best" because I want us to be the best and I don't really want any of the other teams to forget it. To me I want West Ham to be just the same as Plymouth or Rotherham - just another team. We respect em and we shake hands and buy em a drink when we've beaten em. And we think of 0-0 against anyone as being below our expectations

Please note that I was pleased with the result only because we had 10 men for the majority of the game. I am in agreement with you I want us to be the best but I am also a realist and some games when things are against us like on saturday its about not getting beaten and in the words of MON and Brian Little "grinding out a result".

Keep the Faith said:
Please note that I was pleased with the result only because we had 10 men for the majority of the game. I am in agreement with you I want us to be the best but I am also a realist and some games when things are against us like on saturday its about not getting beaten and in the words of MON and Brian Little "grinding out a result".

MON - Now there's a praiseworthy name when you talk about focus. Having potential as a manager is one thing - and Mickey Adams has potential - but its when he has the wisdom to steer his team to victory from a leading position time and time again that he will rightfully be worthy of comparison with the great man. Don't mistake me, the 0-0 was great and reflects well on the 10-men. It was still two points lost and in a just world Dion (a player I rate highly) should have offered his wages for the game to be shared out among his colleagues. Now that would focus his mind.

Tony Elsby said:
Keep the Faith said:

MON - Now there's a praiseworthy name when you talk about focus. Having potential as a manager is one thing - and Mickey Adams has potential - but its when he has the wisdom to steer his team to victory from a leading position time and time again that he will rightfully be worthy of comparison with the great man. Don't mistake me, the 0-0 was great and reflects well on the 10-men. It was still two points lost and in a just world Dion (a player I rate highly) should have offered his wages for the game to be shared out among his colleagues. Now that would focus his mind.

I would think he has been fined wages anyway.

Do I sense another James Walker alias here. Or is it Elton Welsby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669