Goal keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definately Flowers, he was superb, and had real passion and enthusiasm.

As for reality, I would like to see us make a move for Stuart Taylor at Villa, it has obviously not worked with Rab, Taylor has gone to Villa and hardly had a look in, similar to Walker's situation, and after spending so many years out of the first team at Arsenal, I cannot really see him being happy sat on the bench at Villa. Thought he did well on loan here last season.

Henderson has done well when called upon and deserves a chance. Rab is too cumbersome. His height advantage is out-weighed by his awful positioning from set pieces. The Shittu goal at QPR is an example of a situation where Flowers or Walker would have come to collect, or where an understanding with a centre back would have lead to them clearing. Kisnorbo and Mccarthy had their backs to Shittu and Rab stood there. Disarray. And it will happend again against Wolves.

penalty shoot outs.................them were the days :icon_roll :icon_bigg

Kevin Poole was an amazing keeper for us in his first few years here.
Also Gavin Ward the lord wasn't bad, anyone remember him having a blinder away at West Brom in about 93/94, we had Simon Grayson sent off but still won 2-1, I loved that game.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
As for reality, I would like to see us make a move for Stuart Taylor at Villa, it has obviously not worked with Rab, Taylor has gone to Villa and hardly had a look in, similar to Walker's situation, and after spending so many years out of the first team at Arsenal, I cannot really see him being happy sat on the bench at Villa. Thought he did well on loan here last season.
Erm....can't say too much, as my boss is Stuart Taylor's agent, but we could not afford one third of the salary he's on at Villa. They would want a fee as well.:frown:

the last couple of games rab has been okay. but that does not meen i rate the bloke, personally i think i could do a better job in goal for city tham he could. but thats not happening what ever happened to who ever performers gets in the team? paul henderson has done brilliantly in the few chances he was given by levein but was never given a chance to cement his place. i recently found that in rabs contract 1 of the clauses is if hes fit he plays, this is because he took a substantial wage cut to join us from celtic. i dont feel he should be getting paid as much as he is a city. lets bring back walker well said!

chambo said:
the last couple of games rab has been okay. but that does not meen i rate the bloke, personally i think i could do a better job in goal for city tham he could. but thats not happening what ever happened to who ever performers gets in the team? paul henderson has done brilliantly in the few chances he was given by levein but was never given a chance to cement his place. i recently found that in rabs contract 1 of the clauses is if hes fit he plays, this is because he took a substantial wage cut to join us from celtic. i dont feel he should be getting paid as much as he is a city. lets bring back walker well said!

It is not worth signing a player on those terms. :confused: :confused: :confused:

flowers was good but was injured too much, therefore i would say Walker would be the better keeper to have. Arphexad should never have left us to goto Liverpool, that ended his career at the top level but he was a ledgend.If we were to bring in a keeper i would say realisticly, Jimmy Walker from West Ham. He'll be coming back from injury around now i think and he'll look to get some games and they have adequete cover at WHU with hislop and Bywater.

FOX MENTAL said:
flowers was good but was injured too much, therefore i would say Walker would be the better keeper to have. Arphexad should never have left us to goto Liverpool, that ended his career at the top level but he was a ledgend.If we were to bring in a keeper i would say realisticly, Jimmy Walker from West Ham. He'll be coming back from injury around now i think and he'll look to get some games and they have adequete cover at WHU with hislop and Bywater.

Jimmy Walker is a great shout FM.

Flowers would be my choice: he got bottle, a lot of people doubted his bottle at one time, but to go out there and play under pressure, he showed his bottle... :icon_lol:

Taylor didn't do much for me at City tbh, no better or worse than Rab.

And the original post was saying we need more than a shot-stopper: anyone who has voted Poole needs a memory check - great at stopping point blank shots, but shoot from 30 yards and Poole struggled big-time. And he dropped his player of the year trophy!

I always thought Walker was qyality, came out for crosses and seemed to command his area very well despte making the odd mistake which most goalkeepers will do..

I still persist that douglas is our worst 1st team keeper for a long time, yes walker made mistakes but he wasnt poor all season like douglas has been he was also very good at this level most of his problems were in the premiership.

I think as long as douglas is keeper we will continue to concede these soft goals and struggle to get clean sheets.

Since I've been watching City, I'd say the best four keepers have been Flowers, Walker, Wallington and Keller, in that order. The rest have all been much of a much IMO.

I think Flowers was definitely the best City keeper I have seen in the last 5 years or so. I am puzzled when I hear some people suggest we try and get Walker back. Do they forget that it was wages not ability that got Walker moved. Rab has improved this season and probably represents excellent value for money. We can no more afford to bring Walker back than we could Heskey, Lennon or Savage.

Been at the game today I seen douglas doesnt like coming out at all when the ball is in the air and he got lucky when the ball bobbled out of his hands on a free kick. But a clean sheet which I am very happy about. I noticed today we had no goalie on the subs bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669