Going on holiday with an infant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

four king power

After agreeing several months ago that we would not have a summer holiday this year due to baby (now 8 weeks old), ive changed my mind and want a week away in the sun.

The boss, sorry wife, said i can look in to it but the little one is not being left at home, and that we may as well wait till she is a bit older.

My thinking was that we could go to an all inclusive resort which would invlove little travelling once we arrived at the destination and have a nice time in the sun as a family.

I know a lot of parents post on here and was wondering what your experiences were of going abroad with a baby?

After agreeing several months ago that we would not have a summer holiday this year due to baby (now 8 weeks old), ive changed my mind and want a week away in the sun.

The boss, sorry wife, said i can look in to it but the little one is not being left at home, and that we may as well wait till she is a bit older.

My thinking was that we could go to an all inclusive resort which would invlove little travelling once we arrived at the destination and have a nice time in the sun as a family.

I know a lot of parents post on here and was wondering what your experiences were of going abroad with a baby?

You won't be the most popular people on the plane if your baby does what babies normally do on planes. The unfamiliar surroundings, the noise, the popping of the ears are not things that babies generally enjoy and many end up crying for the whole journey.

And then when you get there the heat will be quite unbearable for somebody so young. And have you thought about his diet - or are you leaving that to your good lady?

Having said that, we drove to Italy and Yugoslavia with a 10-month old baby a long, long time ago - but we had the advantage of being able to spend 3 weeks away - and with the car we could carry all of the extra things that a child of that age needs.

But your baby is just 2 months old now - even by the end of summer only 4 months old. I think it's a little too early.

... but if you do decide to go, choose Italy - everybody there loves babies!

Is there any reason why you can't stay in this country for your holiday? The travelling not as bad and the weather more likely to suit the baby.

My two girls are 4 years old and 18 months old. We've been on holiday many times with them and never had an issue.

The youngest they've been when we've flown was when our youngest daughter was 2 1/2 months old and we went skiing and she was fine. However, for a summer holiday, the youngest we've taken them away was last year when she was 10 months old and I would agree with Boc that it takes a lot of preparation. Even though we've been all inclusive, Boc is totally right in mentioning food, however if you're talking about a baby of 3 months or younger then they'll probably be on milk still anyway so it shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Just remember that although you probably think it'll just be relaxing by the pool, it will still be very hot even in the shade and babies aren't always great in the heat. As I'm more of a winter sports person I'm quite happy to take my daughter out of the sun and into the air-con while my wife enjoys the sun. You may not be though and so it'd be worth realising that you may need to be inside more than you'd like or expect to be.

I guess I'd say don't let your baby stop you going away but you will need to understand that it's not the same as going on holiday without a child (I know that's obvious but thought I should say it anyway)

I wouldn't bother going abroad with one so young, its too much hassle taking all the paraphernalia you need on planes and ferries. Pack up the car and go to Center Parcs. Once youv'e got there you can leave the car and enjoy pushing the pram around the forest. You can enjoy the pool actiivities and they even supply large cot type things where you can put the baby. It's family orientated and you may meet other new parents. Best of all iif you go sherwood forest its only an hour ish from Leicester.

We're thinking of getting away for a break but will probably just head to somewhere in the UK as my daughter is only just passed three month now. The idea of going on a plane with her screaming due to ear popping etc makes me cringe as it would **** everyone else there off and going abroad is of no benefit to her either. A holiday is needed when you have an infant but just getting away anywhere would do the trick I think.

We went to Mauritius when our eldest son was 11 months old. The flight was just over 10 hours and we had no problems at all. Having children is not a burden and things like holidays are adjusted a little but not drastically.

We took him to St Lucia the following year again no problems, just be sensible and plan accordingly. Noisy kids on planes is usually down to bad parenting.

Of course, once you arrive, most hotels are fine with you leaving the kid in reception while you go off and get blind drunk.

I wouldn't bother going abroad with one so young, its too much hassle taking all the paraphernalia you need on planes and ferries. Pack up the car and go to Center Parcs. Once youv'e got there you can leave the car and enjoy pushing the pram around the forest. You can enjoy the pool actiivities and they even supply large cot type things where you can put the baby. It's family orientated and you may meet other new parents. Best of all iif you go sherwood forest its only an hour ish from Leicester.

Center Parcs can be a bit expensive but there are plenty of other holiday places such as Haven/Pontins/Butlins which have facilities swimming pools which cater for a young child.

We went to Mauritius when our eldest son was 11 months old. The flight was just over 10 hours and we had no problems at all. Having children is not a burden and things like holidays are adjusted a little but not drastically.

We took him to St Lucia the following year again no problems, just be sensible and plan accordingly. Noisy kids on planes is usually down to bad parenting.

Hardly fair putting him in the overhead lockers though was it?

Do you have to fly?

We took our daughters to the west coast of france from about 5 months old.

They slept for much of the car journey but we also had fairly frequent stops so they wouldn't have to spend too long at one time in a car seat.

Thanks very much for all the info, its really been most helpfull!

We have decided to do a week in Las Vegas during October, and invited the wifes parents who jumped at the chance.

There is an overwhelming amount of indoor family attractions to keep everyone happy and cool during the day, and i will get a chance to grab a sun tan and play a bit of poker when her parents do stuff with the baby.

Another factor for the mrs was clean rooms and water etc.

:)

Thats bad............ 18 years difference between the parents ages!

Most blokes that age would chuck it up a woman 18 years his junior if offered the chance. It's the ones who would do the same at 30 that you need to worry about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670