Gordon Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazzer

Watched quite an interesting program on sky with Bob Wilson interviewing Gordon Banks. When he came to talk about leicester he was quite pissed off about the fact that despite an internernational career and him just winning the world cup we couldn't wait to get shot of him . He mentioned Shilton giving the club an ultimatum him as no 1or he leaves. As I was a wee boy residing in Belfast I wasn't really aware this had occured. Do you any of you more mature posters remember it ? Did shilton really force Banks out ?

Last edited:
Watched them both play, despite Banks being one of the top goalies in the world at that time, Shilton was the future and he had already displayed his undoubted potential. to give some idea of his talent, City went on a pre-season tour of Germany and one of the top clubs I forget who offered City £100,000 for his contract, a phenomenal amount of money back then.The club were definitely caught between a rock and a hard place. I was shocked when Banks left, but at the same time I knew we had the next England goalkeeper under contract. No doubt Banks felt hurt when City sold him, but no club can have both England goalies at the same time. Did Shilton force Banks out, I don't think so, rather the club took a very pragmatic view of a very difficult situation, they went for the future rather then the present and past.

I would guess that when Banks left he was still the best goalkeeper in the world but the club must have known the time would come when Banks would decline and Shilton be better.

When I arrived in Leicester during the 1968-69 season Shilton was already a phenomenal goalkeeper It was unthinkable that Shilton should be in a reserve team. In an age of superb English goalkeepers he travelled with the England squad to the world cup at the age of 20. Sadly he did not play as he would surely have done better than Bonetti when Banks was taken ill.

With all due respect to people like Peter Schmeichel and Dino Zoff Shilton was the best goalkeeper I have ever seen. People tell me that Gordon Banks was better than Shilton.I cannot think of higher praise for a goalkeeper.

Pah, I took two penalties against Shilton when I was a kid and scored them both easily. He can't have been that good.

Watched quite an interesting program on sky with Bob Wilson interviewing Gordon Banks. When he came to talk about leicester he was quite pissed off about the fact that despite an internernational career and him just winning the world cup we couldn't wait to get shot of him . He mentioned Shilton giving the club an ultimatum him as no 1or he leaves. As I was a wee boy residing in Belfast I wasn't really aware this had occured. Do you any of you more mature posters remember it ? Did shilton really force Banks out ?

Yes, I think so, but it didn't seem that big a deal, even though Banks was rated second best goalie in the world to Lev Yashin (though we sung it different). It was one of those rare times when Leicester seemed to have the knack of producing good, local talent - David Nish, obviously , Rod Fern, Alan Woollett, Paul Matthews lesser names, and even Jeff Blockley at Cov. So he slipped away rather easily, with a bit of a shove from Shilts.

Other thing is - though goalies are always undervalued in the transfer market, it really was chronic in the 1960s, and it must have been a bit embarrassing that none of the big clubs at the time had a sniff, though it's rumoured Shankly thought about it, and Stoke were the only bidders IIRC, after West Ham pulled out having signed a Scottish nobody for lots more money than they could have got Banks for. Ironic that it was Shilton, with his big £300k move to Stoke in 1974, top of Clough's shopping list when he wanted to transform that team up the A60 into something decent, and above all his 20 year international career to show how stupid football is.

Pah, I took two penalties against Shilton when I was a kid and scored them both easily. He can't have been that good.
Same here PPF - I scored a penalty against him when he came to a Charity event at Mablethorpe where we have a caravan. I looked in one corner and put the ball in the other.
I have a video of it somewhere and a photo of me and Shilts.

Same here PPF - I scored a penalty against him when he came to a Charity event at Mablethorpe where we have a caravan. I looked in one corner and put the ball in the other.
I have a video of it somewhere and a photo of me and Shilts.
You probably forgot to mention that you aimed for the corner you looked in.

I have a photo of me and Shilts, in Buffalo Joes in Gateshead. It was the wettest day ever and I look a mess, though the bar relaxed it's no trainers policy as Shilts was dressed for a jog.

Watched quite an interesting program on sky with Bob Wilson interviewing Peter Shilton. When he came to talk about the most memorable moment of his career, he said that it was the time in Mablethorpe when Motown Fox scored a penalty against him utilising what was, in his opinion, a masterful display of sublime trickery sending him the wrong way as he slotted the ball home. Can any of you more mature posters resist editing posts for once ? Did Motown really force Shilts the wrong way ?
Did he mention anything about a young lad from Melton scoring against him a couple of times?

Did he mention anything about a young lad from Melton scoring against him a couple of times?

He said that's what haunted him and made him so poor against the Germans in '90. Mentally destroyed, he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566