Grant McCann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about him? Central mid or winger? Defensive or attacking?

This is profile from the Cheltenham site:

Grant became Cheltenham Town's club record signing when he joined the Robins from West Ham United for a £50,000 fee in January 2003. A young Northern Ireland international, Grant began his career with West Ham and had brief loan spells with Livingston in Scotland and Notts County before his first loan spell with Cheltenham Town.

He joined the Robins on a long term loan during season 2000-2001 and made a great impression with the club's supporters operating either at left-back or in midfield.

Grant made a handful of first team appearances at West Ham in 2001-2002 but found it hard to break into a star-studded squad at Upton Park despite remaining a regular inclusion in the Northern Ireland squad.

A talented player with a great left-foot and the ability to score from set plays, Grant re-joined Cheltenham on a month-to-month loan agreement in the early part of last season before being recalled by the Hammers.

Former Robins boss Bobby Gould finally captured the Belfast-born player on a two and a half year contract in January 2003. Grant won his first full international cap for Northern Ireland against Malta in October 2001 and he had made seven further appearances up to the end of the 2003-2004 season.
http://www.cheltenhamtownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/ProfilesDetail/0,,10434~10948,00.html

If anyone's leaving, I just hope it's Williams or Kisnorbo. Hopefully not Joey!

ScarboroughFox said:
no thanks

Dunc said:
relegated if he comes

Why are you both so definitely against this? I would be very doubtful if he would give us less than Williams has; a good price for Williams and McCan for cheap doesn't seem like a bad idea at first sight.

bocadillo said:
Why are you both so definitely against this? I would be very doubtful if he would give us less than Williams has; a good price for Williams and McCan for cheap doesn't seem like a bad idea at first sight.

for starts he isnt proven at championship level!!

and i think williams is a decent midfielder! he is just having a bad season!

Plus with the likes of Hughes and Weso coming back to full fitness and dare i say it Morris!! how many midfielders do we need!!

ScarboroughFox said:
for starts he isnt proven at championship level!!

and i think williams is a decent midfielder! he is just having a bad season!

Plus with the likes of Hughes and Weso coming back to full fitness and dare i say it Morris!! how many midfielders do we need!!

Was Williams better last season then? I didn't notice.

And I don't really believe that you think Morris will be back - and people are starting to have the same doubts about Hughes. That just leaves Weso, who is not proven at any league level, albeit that he is an exciting prospect.

The rumours that Williams and Tiattto are on their way are not new. We will need players in who can replace them.

Last edited:
jb5000 said:
The article says he can play left-back too, it'd be nice to have someone who can...

i would think its that fact that has caught CLs eye.

anybody know where he has played this season, and internationally?

he's started 160 odd games for Cheltenham and has scored 30 odd goals, which is just under a goal in every 5 games, not exactly Frank Lampard, but still a pretty good ratio, all be it at a lower level.
I think he may have scored for the N.Ireland U21's as well.

Taking hungry young players from the lower reaches and turning them into the finished article used to be what this club was about, and we did well off the back of it. I'd be quite happy to see him given a go.

lcfcrules said:
he's started 160 odd games for Cheltenham and has scored 30 odd goals, which is just under a goal in every 5 games, not exactly Frank Lampard, but still a pretty good ratio, all be it at a lower level.
I think he may have scored for the N.Ireland U21's as well.

I would guess he's played largely in midfield from thos stats. so i hope CL isn't planning on bringing him in as a LB. just because a player has played there doesn't mean they 'Can'

Nissa has played there. (not awful but clearly not ideal)
Kisnorbo has
Even Wilcox has

doesn't mean they re good at it.

I reckon if we get this bloke in as a new left back it'll be awesome. CL knows what he is doing IMO.

I don't really like the idea of him coming in at LB...

It's fine having versatile players, but we shouldn't be buying another player for LB who is more used to playing in another position but "can do a job" at LB.. We need a natural LB.

No problem with him coming in as a midfielder though, especially if Williams or another midfielder is leaving.

Dunc said:
I reckon if we get this bloke in as a new left back it'll be awesome. CL knows what he is doing IMO.
Dunc have you been on the babycham, some strange posts from you today!

Stephen Pearson will be here in January....according to some bloke in the Pub last night.Hardly a concrete source I know:icon_roll

highland fox said:
Stephen Pearson will be here in January....according to some bloke in the Pub last night.Hardly a concrete source I know:icon_roll

This was a pub in Lochaber, was it?

For the ignorant (me!), would you like to say who Stephen Pearson is and give your assessment on whether he would be a good signing. In particular, please mention how many games he is likely to play before retiring to the physio's bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566