Great Expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think the lack of expectation for this season will be a positive for the players. The impossible targets talked up in previous seasons (particularly by Sven) have lead fans to think that all we needed to do was turn up to win, and when we went a goal behind, rather than supporting the team we've berated them as overpaid and useless.

If we can nurture a positive attitude or even an underdog spirit this season on the terraces, I think we'll continue our strong home form into the coming season.

Last edited:
One other point about last season. Before our dip you could see lots of the players chatting with each other over Twitter. You could see there was a good team spirit. When our form started to drop away, they all went quiet. Was this because something happened within the club, or because they were getting a lot of abuse from our own fans I don't know - but at the time it felt like something had changed and this shown through in their performances on the pitch.

At the moment the banter etc seems to have returned.

*aware that there is no evidence other than my own perception to back this post up.

A signing, or multiple signings does not guarantee improvement, same with players leaving. Yes, our second-half season form last season was poor, but the first half was excellent - nearly with the same squad. Just because second half was poor, does that mean we disregard first half?

Also, experiences is usually what makes a person or groups of people stronger. Adding a few new signings doesn't guarantee improvement, same with not adding - it doesn't mean you won't improve. Our players have last season's ups and downs to learn from, and for some, a first full season of football to draw upon. We can only hope that they have an even stronger team and trust ethic. A few new signings to strengthen the squad is probably needed, but I wouldn't panic if they do not happen. Some exciting young players like Knocky, James, Wood, Moore, Schlupp and Kasper will be better this season IMO.

Still a few weeks to go, but at the moment I'm genuinely surprised that Kasper and Wes are still here. And players like King to an extent.

Pork Pie made a good point about other clubs in our division having understrength clubs due to lack of recruitment.

Unfortunately I think that there are enough better resourced outfits to suggest that wee won't achieve a great deal this season.....I think, QPR, Reading, Forest, Watford, Brighton, possibly Wigan, maybe even Derby will finish above us plus one or two surprises.

I also think that the lesson of last season is that there isn't that much to choose between most of the clubs. Anyone can beat anyone....and you can be challenging for a play off place and yet be not too many points clear of a relegation battle.

Pork Pie made a good point about other clubs in our division having understrength clubs due to lack of recruitment.

Unfortunately I think that there are enough better resourced outfits to suggest that wee won't achieve a great deal this season.....I think, QPR, Reading, Forest, Watford, Brighton, possibly Wigan, maybe even Derby will finish above us plus one or two surprises.

I also think that the lesson of last season is that there isn't that much to choose between most of the clubs. Anyone can beat anyone....and you can be challenging for a play off place and yet be not too many points clear of a relegation battle.

That must be just about the first one ever though :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00