Hard drive crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosseboy83

HI

my mams laptop keeps coming up with an error saying it cant detect the harddrive ( SATA Error) but asks me to defrag, however windows keeps shutting it down before i can this done.

Is this likely to be a physical problem or a virus of some description.

What should be the things im trying.

thanks
FB83

Id open the hard drive enclosure up and just double check its not the SATA connection that's worked it way loose. You can piss about with Windows for ages but its always best to check the most obvious basic things first.

Failing that, it sounds like a potential HDD failure.

Id open the hard drive enclosure up and just double check its not the SATA connection that's worked it way loose. You can piss about with Windows for ages but its always best to check the most obvious basic things first.

Failing that, it sounds like a potential HDD failure.

cheers DF,

if it is an HDD, is it recoverable or is it new harddrive time?

Can you give me a picture of what the SATA error message looks like and also all the icons in the bottom right corner (task bar).

There is a new virus that portrays itself as a SATA Error... and it does a very good job at it.

Can you give me a picture of what the SATA error message looks like and also all the icons in the bottom right corner (task bar).

There is a new virus that portrays itself as a SATA Error... and it does a very good job at it.

It does sound a bit suspicious, if it genuinely was a SATA problem it wouldn't even get as far as loading Windows

I could do with some advice on this as well.

I took a hardrive out of my old laptop and put into a caddy to access the data but it isnt connecting to my pc anymore when I hook it up. It makes the spinning sound so the hardrive isnt completely dead.

Any ideas?

Is it still in the caddy?
Did it work and then stop working?
Are you sure it's seated (plugged in) correctly?

Its a SATA to USB HDD enclosure that worked the first day I had it and then suddenly stoppe for no reason. My Pc doesnt even recognise that its connected anymore. Its definately plugged in properly, just like before :(

Afraid to say it but it sounds like hardware (your HDD could well be bricked (bar sending it to be fixed by pro's)).

Best way to test it...

Try your hardrive in another machine, if it doesn't work theres something mechanically wrong with the HDD, on the flip side if it works then its your pc.

Also try a USB stick in your pc (in the same socket you plug your enclosure into), if that doesn't work then it will be your pc again..

Last edited:
Cheers Nitra,:038:

will try get screen prints tonight.

and welcome to the board

:102: He's been here over a year!

Maybe it was just that nobody asked a question about a crashing hard drive before :)

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

I've had similar pop up screens from facebook...but my own antivirus sorted them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669