Help/advice to buy new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

I'm throwing myself upon the mercy of TB folk who know a hell of a lot more about computers than I do. My computer (pc, not laptop) is conking out - It's a cheap and ancient one. I do not need a fancy or particularly high spec replacement. I do NOT play computer games or download films or music for example. I use my computer for:
1) Surfing simple internet sites. Just the likes of - TB, BBC, on-line shops, & youtube.
2) For word processing
3) HOWEVER, my wife works from home and nees to open & read an on line magazine daily that is quite high memory/processor sapping, particularly as she needs more than one programme open at a time - email, another internet site & 'Word' on the go at the same time.
3) I'm fairly budget conscious but willing to pay for something that does the job and isn't slow. It mustn't slow down speed of BT broadband which is quite fast in our area. But I don't want to pay for specification I would barely use.

So what specification should I buy and how much do you think it will cost? I don't want to buy from an online store (or private market ) - its got to be a proper shop eg PC world or an independent retailer (which?)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
What you have described for your wife is not high end processing anymore. Is it an online magazine we can see to see how intensive it is? I would suggest any basic PC from PC World will be just fine for those tasks.

When you get it, ditch internet explorer and get chrome or FireFox and it will be even quicker for the internet tasks.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt,
Its an archetecture magazine but I don't know which one and I don't think it is generally available to the general public, just to people working in the industry. I can't reach her now for details. Btw, do you think latest the explorer, on windows 7, is no good - I'm assuming you don't just mean IE 7 which is what I have been labouring with.
I've done a search & found this available... what do you think:
Acer Aspire x1438
500 G hard drive
2 G RAM memory
dual core processor (size?)
windows 7
20" monitor
They want £259.99 plus free or £3.99 next day delivery.
They are offering for another £30 charge to transfer our data from old computer which has conked out (can't get it to open - might be the graphics card but its time to change, not repair I think). They say they can put another 2G for £9.99 with no extra labour charge if we do the transfer referred to above (£30). Is this worth it and would it work? Is the computer itself worth getting do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks Matt,
Its an archetecture magazine but I don't know which one and I don't think it is generally available to the general public, just to people working in the industry. I can't reach her now for details. Btw, do you think latest the explorer, on windows 7, is no good - I'm assuming you don't just mean IE 7 which is what I have been labouring with.
I've done a search & found this available... what do you think:
Acer Aspire x1438
500 G hard drive
2 G RAM memory
dual core processor (size?)
windows 7
20" monitor
They want £259.99 plus free or £3.99 next day delivery.
They are offering for another £30 charge to transfer our data from old computer which has conked out (can't get it to open - might be the graphics card but its time to change, not repair I think). They say they can put another 2G for £9.99 with no extra labour charge if we do the transfer referred to above (£30). Is this worth it and would it work? Is the computer itself worth getting do you think?

Is that from PC World?

Durham, why the deleted post?

Is that from PC World?

QUOTE]

Hi Matt,
Yes, from pc world. Although I have a monitor it is a small one and a bit battered so a new 20" is welcome that comes with this
Any views on whether this pc should be ok for my needs, and should we take on the extra 2G memory (quite cheaply if you see above, though don't want to do it if it risks messing up the computer)
cheers,

Last edited:
Is that from PC World?

QUOTE]

Hi Matt,
Yes, from pc world. Although I have a monitor it is a small one and a bit battered so a new 20" is welcome that comes with this
Any views on whether this pc should be ok for my needs, and should we take on the extra 2G memory (quite cheaply if you see above, though don't want to do it if it risks messing up the computer)
cheers,
Def take the extra RAM, that's a no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669