Help for Heroes - The Great South Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitcho_uk

Dear All,

I am writing to ask you to assist me in raising money for Help for Heroes and the Youth Sport Trust by sponsoring us to take part in the Great South Run in Portsmouth on Sunday 26th October 2008.

I have never ran 10 miles before in my life so it is going to be tough and I’ll be honest, the training hurts. However, the motivation to carry on is easy when you think about what you are doing it for and knowing that the money you raise may make a difference to somebody’s life.

I am raising money for Help the Heroes in memory of my Brother in Law, Senior Aircraftsmen Chris Dunsmore or Dunny as he was known to his friends who was tragically killed whilst serving in Iraq in July 2007 with the RAF Regiment. I am doing it in his honour because I believe that he would have wanted me to do my bit on his behalf to help support his forces colleagues in there time of need and to try to help make there lives and the lives of there families just that little bit easier.

For those of you who know me, you may recall that I used to be a bit of a chunky monkey, however after shedding the equivalent of a small child in weight over the last 18 months, this run seems to be the perfect personal challenge and it makes sense to do it for two very worthwhile causes.

HELP FOR HEROES

Help for Heroes was launched in October 2007 in order to help our wounded servicemen and women and to ensure that they get the very best treatment available to help them to overcome there injuries and make there lives just that little bit easier.

“Our Servicemen and women give more, risk more and sacrifice more, so we believe that they should be given more; we believe they deserve the very best. They say they are not Heroes, they are just doing their jobs; we say that anyone who volunteers to join the Armed Forces and serve in a war zone is a hero and we want to help our heroes.”

Help for Heroes needs to raise a great deal of money in order to improve rehabilitation facilities, develop the relative’s house at Selly Oak so that the families of injured servicemen have somewhere to stay whilst visiting there loved ones and also to be able to give grants to the right organisations to ensure that our wounded get the very best.

To donate to Help for Heroes please visit our Just Giving site: www.justgiving.com/danandneilhelp4heroes

Chris’ memorial website can be found here: www.chrisdunsmore.co.uk

For more information about Help for Heroes, please visit their website: www.helpforheroes.org.uk

YOUTH SPORT TRUST

The Youth Sport Trust (YST) was established in 1994 and its mission is to build a brighter future for young people by enhancing the quality of their physical education (PE) and sporting opportunities.

YST aims to:

Increase young people’s participation and enjoyment of PE and school sport.
Give young people the chance to experience and enjoy different types of activity at whatever level is right for them.
Ensure youngsters receive the best teaching, coaching and resources possible and have the chance to progress if they show talent.
Help young people to live healthy and active lives and to be the best they can be.
YST achieves its aims and objectives through the educational sporting programmes that they produce. These are delivered through schools and are supported by a range of corporate partners, trusts and foundations and government departments. For more information, please visit www.youthsporttrust.org

If you would like to help us raise money for the Youth Sport Trust, please visit www.justgiving.com/danandneilyst

I thank you in advance for your support and for your generosity. If you can’t decide which charity to support, why not donate a bit to both.

If you have no preference at all you may forward your donation on to me and I will split it between the charities as necessary to balance out the totals equally...

Thank you very much!

Dan

Ps Are you interested in taking part in an event like the Great South Run in 2009? If so, why not sign up to:

Leisure Friends - www.leisurefriends.com – The Sports and Leisure Network in order to search for your perfect training partner? If running is not your 'thing' have a browse at the other leisure opportunities too!

Great stuff, all for a good cause.

Have you set yourself a target for how long you want to do the run in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669