Help please.......train buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can go on the same train.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but even though a ticket from Leicester to Nottingham is cheaper than one from Leicester to Derby, the Leicester to Nottingham one is valid if you change trains in Derby. Same thing with the Nottingham to Sheffield ticket, it's also valid if you change at Derby.

So you would get on the Leicester to Sheffield train, use the Leicester to Nottingham ticket to get as far as Derby, stay on the train, and use the Nottingham to Sheffield ticket for the rest of the journey.

Interesting. If i was to suggest that to the ticket office would they oblige, or day you have to be discreet about such things?

Interesting. If i was to suggest that to the ticket office would they oblige, or day you have to be discreet about such things?

If you ask for a standard day return from Leicester to Nottingham and a standard day return from Nottingham to Sheffield, that's what they have to sell you.

What you could also do is buy the tickets online. You should be able to get the online ticketing sites to give you seat reservations on the direct train, if you tell it you want to go via Derby. If you have seat reservations it should be enough proof that what you're doing is valid.

If you ask for a standard day return from Leicester to Nottingham and a standard day return from Nottingham to Sheffield, that's what they have to sell you.

What you could also do is buy the tickets online. You should be able to get the online ticketing sites to give you seat reservations on the direct train, if you tell it you want to go via Derby. If you have seat reservations it should be enough proof that what you're doing is valid.

Thanks Jeff that is excellent. As you can tell its a long time since i've been on the choo choo, so your info is invaluable.:icon_wink

as an aside, could any of the train gurus on here save me any money?

i go back to Nuneaton a fair bit, i'm going back next friday in fact, and i just rock up and get my ticket on the night

there's a very quick and stupidly expensive one about 18:00 so i just sit in a pub until the 19:05 (i think) one comes along

are there any such getting-two-return malarky things i can do. or indeed should i book in advance?

a pint for any help :)

as an aside, could any of the train gurus on here save me any money?

i go back to Nuneaton a fair bit, i'm going back next friday in fact, and i just rock up and get my ticket on the night

there's a very quick and stupidly expensive one about 18:00 so i just sit in a pub until the 19:05 (i think) one comes along

are there any such getting-two-return malarky things i can do. or indeed should i book in advance?

a pint for any help :)

Which station do you normally travel from ?? Euston ?

it's £32 i think

Yes your right, it's £31 for the one at 7.17pm.

There is only one option for a cheap ticket. The involves getting the 8.40pm train which also involves a change at Coventry, total journey time is still quite reasonable at 1 hour 28 mins. Ticket is £11

For the future, if you know 3 or 4 weeks in advance of your departure you are best to look then and you should find a decent rate, but Fridays are generally expensive.

There is only one option for a cheap ticket. The involves getting the 8.40pm train which also involves a change at Coventry, total journey time is still quite reasonable at 1 hour 28 mins. Ticket is £11

For the future, if you know 3 or 4 weeks in advance of your departure you are best to look then and you should find a decent rate, but Fridays are generally expensive.
What about if he goes child:icon_lol::icon_lol:

cool, ta

The cheapest option would be if you changed tickets at Nottingham.

A Leicester to Nottingham standard day return is £8.70, and a Nottingham to Sheffield standard day return is £12.90, total price £21.60.

The delight about this combination of tickets is that you don't have to even travel via Nottingham - you can travel on the direct services via Derby, The Leicester - Nottingham ticket is valid via Long Eaton and the Nottingham to Sheffield ticket is valid via Derby, so you can switch to it at Long Eaton even though the train does not stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46