Help: Un-installed sound on PC by mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

AS title of thread indicates, I've done something that may have wiped out the sound capacity of my computer. My computer was running nearly out of memory, so I thought I'd try and find some programmes that aren't used much and deleted them. I think I deleted whatever it is that delivers sound from my computer by mistake. There was a sound/volume icon on the bottom of my screen which has now vanished and there's no sound on youtube. Any idea?

Reinstall your sound drivers from either disc or dl them online, or restore your pc to a previous state?

Last edited:
Reinstall your sound drivers from either disc or dl them online, or restore your pc to a previous state?

I may be wrong fludicles, but I'm guessing in this case that advising him to speak Swahili into his left shoe would be equally as helpful as that.

Despite mackie's answer this helps. It's true that i'd probably not manage to fix the problem myself, but I can at least ask a friend to do a specific task for me rather than just 'have a look at my computer please'.

Probably lost the original disk when I set up the computer, but hopefully someone will be able to fix the problem in the other ways you outline.

Despite mackie's answer this helps. It's true that i'd probably not manage to fix the problem myself, but I can at least ask a friend to do a specific task for me rather than just 'have a look at my computer please'.

Probably lost the original disk when I set up the computer, but hopefully someone will be able to fix the problem in the other ways you outline.

There's lots of other things to try first consty. If you were just uninstalling programs to make some space, it would be, practically, impossible to remove the drivers for your sound card.

Which operating system do you have?

Thanks for further reply Macky - my computer is a windows XP, is that what the operating system is? Seems like good news from what you say... that it may well be impossible to get rid of the sound. I hope so. Any ideas how to get it back in laymans language... ta.

Thanks for further reply Macky

My pleasure

my computer is a windows XP, is that what the operating system is?

It is indeed

Seems like good news from what you say... that it may well be impossible to get rid of the sound.

Steady on, impossible may have been a bad choice of words, but it would actually be quite difficult :icon_bigg

Any ideas how to get it back in laymans language... ta.

First off, you need to check if Windows can 'see' your sound card.
Click on Start, then Run, in the box that appears type dxdiag then click on the OK button. Confirm any prompts that pop up.

In the window that opens, select the Sound tab at the top. If there are any problems with your sound card or drivers it'll be detailed here. If, hopefully, it says 'No problems found' then you're in luck.

If it doesn't display any problems, close that window and go back to the Start menu and select Control Panel.
When the Control Panel opens, double-clck on the Sounds & Audio Devices icon. If you can't see this, look on the left-hand side and click on Switch to Classic view, you should see it then.

This should launch the Sounds applet, select the Volume tab at the top.
Make sure that the volume slider is up full, uncheck the Mute box and tick the box labelled Place volume icon in the Taskbar.

That should be enough to keep you going for now :icon_razz

Ground control to Macky!
I think Houston has a problem!!
I've followed as you suggest in your reply - the I suspect bad news is that when I get to "Sounds & Audio Devices" icon I get to the volume tab automatically but unfortunately it says "no sound devices".... and the volume slider is greyed out!

Any ideas?

Ground control to Macky!
I think Houston has a problem!!
I've followed as you suggest in your reply - the I suspect bad news is that when I get to "Sounds & Audio Devices" icon I get to the volume tab automatically but unfortunately it says "no sound devices".... and the volume slider is greyed out!

Any ideas?

Do you know the motherboard manufacturer? If you feel confident enough you can take the side of the case off and look on the motherboard itself, its usually in the middle
moz-screenshot.png

mobo_id_intel_b.gif

Alternatively, download this program (sandrasoft) for free and it should give you the mobo make and model.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/160-sisoftware-sandra-lite.html

Then go to the manufacturers website to download the drivers

Thanks Dave,
I'll ask someone who is a touch more confident with computers to do this for me... it's good to know the specific remedy to enlist that help, so thanks a lot (also to others who chipped in to help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669