HOTMAIL URGENT ALERT - Genuine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

Hello all,
I'm getting messages purporting to be from hotmail who they say due to problems are re-registering people and deleting dormant accounts and thus they ask for my login, pass, country and dob.
Have you had one of these? Scam or genuine.
They don't ask for my bank details, but the above details incl dob lead me to be a little nervous of answering. Any thoughts - particularly if you have received one yourself.

BTW,
The message says my account will be closed without an answer.
This is the message:

CONFIRM YOUR WINDOWS LIVE ACCOUNT SERVICES. VERIFY YOUR HOTMAIL ACCOUNT NOW TO AVOID IT CLOSED !!!

Dear Account Owner

This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Hotmail Email User Accounts Owner for safety. we are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts so we are shutting down some Hotmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name, password, date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.

* Username: ................................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: .................

Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team.

This one's been going around for years, I'm surprised whoever sends them still bothers doing it. Nobody legitimate ever asks for passwords.

Of course it's genuine

Just like the one I received the other week from my new best friend Nkombie, with whom I am currently arranging the transfer of moneys from his late father's estate into my own bank account. You see, he doesn't want his Government to get a cut, but is more than happy to share a bit of his good fortune with me

Happy days :038:

Just reply back to them with a load of bollox hopefully it will result in wasting their time a little more the theiving ****s.

I kept on replying to a Nkombie type with "Show me the money" got him all excited it did.

Ah yes,
I've received offers of about $29m so far if I was to add them all up! Even I instantly sussed those emails as fake, trusting soul that I am.

Last edited:
I always reply to the fake HSBC ones with something along the lines of "I haven't got an HSBC account, you thieving c**ts, now f*** off."

I always reply to the fake HSBC ones with something along the lines of "I haven't got an HSBC account, you thieving c**ts, now f*** off."

You do realise all you are doing there is confirming to the spam database that your email address is valid, live and being checked, something that makes their database more valuable?

You do realise all you are doing there is confirming to the spam database that your email address is valid, live and being checked, something that makes their database more valuable?

To other obvious scammers who will invariably get the same response?

Once they know your email is valid the volume you get will increase in my experience.

So my spam folder, which empties every so often automatically, receives a few more emails that will only get read if I feel like abusing someone? I'm not too worried by that.

So my spam folder, which empties every so often automatically, receives a few more emails that will only get read if I feel like abusing someone? I'm not too worried by that.

You must have a better anti spam system than me then. I get on average over 100 emails a day in my spam box, and around 5 aren't spam so I have to regularly check to find the ones to remove.
People who encourage spammers by replying to them or clicking on the links in their emails are just making it worse for everyone.

Of course it's genuine

Just like the one I received the other week from my new best friend Nkombie, with whom I am currently arranging the transfer of moneys from his late father's estate into my own bank account. You see, he doesn't want his Government to get a cut, but is more than happy to share a bit of his good fortune with me

Happy days :038:

I think your friend Nkombie must have a relative named Edward Mbelele and I am currently negotiating release of my share of $35.7Million:icon_eek: with him

Edward Mbelele
Telephone: + 27 72 117 5510
Fax: + 27 86 600 3069
Email: [email protected]

Urgent Business Proposal.
Dear Friend,

I am a Chief Internal Auditor at First National Bank of South Africa (FNB). I am writing to seek your cooperation over business deal. In my Department, I discovered an abandoned sum of (US$35.7Million). In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customers who died along with his entire family in a plane crash that took place in Kenya, The account belongs to the Late DR. GEORGE BRUMLEY, a citizen of Atlanta, United States of America and contractor with Anglo Gold.

Since we got information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin or business associate to come and claim his money because it cannot be released unless somebody applies for it as next of kin or business associate to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines but unfortunately, all his supposed next of kin or relation died along with him at the plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claim. You can read more about the crash on the site below;

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa...ash/index.html

It is therefore upon this discovery that I now decided to make this business proposal to you and release the money to your account as the next of kin or business associate. For this reason, I would advice you not to disclose this to anybody around you for my own security reasons and in order not to anyone circumvent us.

The banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remains dormant after five years; the money will be transferred into the Bank treasury as unclaimed funds. The request for your assistance and maximum co-operation as a foreigner is highly needed to release these funds. I will like us to share this money mutually on two equal halve between me and you. Please note that I don't have any access to withdraw any cent from this money due to the money was insured by the owner DR. GEORGE BRUMLEY.

I will like you at this point to understand that this is privileged information and must be strictly confidential.

Please reply to above email or fax number.

Thanks and God bless.

Yours Sincerely,

Edward Mbelele

I think your friend Nkombie must have a relative named Edward Mbelele and I am currently negotiating release of my share of $35.7Million:icon_eek: with him

There's a separate thread for these.

Amazingly :icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673