House Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosseboy83

How much would be reasonable for Buildings and contents insurance on a property worth aprox £146, end terrace?

done compare the meercat and would appreciate your input, ta

Last edited:
How much would be reasonable for Buildings and contents insurance on a property worth aprox £146, end terrace?

done compare the meercat and would appreciate your input, ta

Where the **** do you live then? :icon_lol:

nottingham:icon_lol:

£146k nob:icon_lol:

Cheeky ****, max £50 over here!

If it helps, I pay approx £21 per month for my buildings & contents. Ive got a 3 bed detatched, with a garage. I picked my house up for a bargain because the developers were in the shit, so only paid £105k for it. My contents are upto £35k, and includes accidental damage.

Im insured with my mortgage provider, which is Santander.

Hope this helps?

For buildings insurance you usually have to know the rebuild value rather than the sale value.

thanks guys, soes help, we do know the rebuild value. its for my old man was worried that some of the quotes were a bit cheap(basically because hes been ripped off by HSBC for years and been too lazy to do owt about it)

he had a query regarding public liabities insurance, which didnt appear to be covered in the policies i reviewed, i guess i will have to call them directly to see how much this would cost or would this be covered in the legal cover?

thanks guys, soes help, we do know the rebuild value. its for my old man was worried that some of the quotes were a bit cheap(basically because hes been ripped off by HSBC for years and been too lazy to do owt about it)

he had a query regarding public liabities insurance, which didnt appear to be covered in the policies i reviewed, i guess i will have to call them directly to see how much this would cost or would this be covered in the legal cover?

You need to insure for the rebuild value. Don't worry if it looks a little on the thin side to you, as long as the survey is reasonably recent you should be ok. Some policies allow for index-linking/uplifts anyway.

As for PL, is there a particular reason you're concerned over this? Are you running a business from the home? I don't deal with household but my understanding generally is that PL is included, but the waters get very murky if there is anything out of the ordinary - for example, the running of a business from the premises.

It usually is worth buying some legal cover as part of your HH policy, but depends on the actual cover given, the limit of the cover etc. Ask for the key facts document.

Finally, comparison websites have their place, but not the be all and end all. Its always worth ringing a good, local insurance broker and getting some actual advice.

Oh and don't forget personal possessions cover, which you should be able to get all risks on and saves you insuring your mobile/laptop etc separately.

Have a read here - http://www.hodgsoninsurance.co.uk/household.htm

Its all pretty basic, but if you understand all that and give it a little bit of thought, you can't go far wrong.

Watch out for some strange small print ... like ... my scuba gear is covered on a dive trip, whilst I'm using it, so if my camera falls over the side of the boat, it's not covered, whereas if I drop it whilst underwater it is.

Watch out for some strange small print ... like ... my scuba gear is covered on a dive trip, whilst I'm using it, so if my camera falls over the side of the boat, it's not covered, whereas if I drop it whilst underwater it is.

This is where an insurance broker may come in handy - they will search for the best cover at the best price whilst also explaining any small print/conditions.

So, in summary, no dropping your house over the side of a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669