How to get to Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

Right, I am taking the missus to watch the egg chasers on Sunday at Twickenham. In my naivity I thought it would be easy to get to, drive to Stanmore and get the tube there, as with Wembley.

Apparantly though there isn't a tube stop within walking distance of Twickenham, and the train is now too expensive, what is the best way to get there anyone who is in the know?

Edit: Am I correct in thinking the Travelcard Off Peak for £7.50 each will cover my tube journey from Stanmore to St Pancras and then the train on to Twickenham Station? Are they available on the day? I will need to get to Twickenham for about 3.30pm I guess and leave about 8pm.

Last edited:
Jubilee line to Westminster underground. District line to Richmond. South West Trains to Twickenham Station. Journey time just under 1hr 30 mins.

You will need a Z1-5 travel card, which can be purchased on the day for £7.50 each.

If you use the London journey planner ( http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/ ) it will tell you the options you have, and the travelcard zones involved. Travelcards are available on the day.

Jubilee line to Westminster underground. District line to Richmond. South West Trains to Twickenham Station. Journey time just under 1hr 30 mins.

You will need a Z1-5 travel card, which can be purchased on the day for £7.50 each.

Cheers guys. I think the Z1-5 travel card is the one advertised on thetrainline that I mentioned.

I was just going to buy them at Stanmore on the day?

I know that, but I was making a general point. The fact that you looked up train times on there made me think it was your default site for looking up train times and tickets.

The national rail website is probably the best site to look up times and fares (it will tell you about some ticket types that the others won't). The individual train operator websites are better to buy tickets from because they have no booking fee, and some of them have online discounts for their own tickets.

I know that, but I was making a general point. The fact that you looked up train times on there made me think it was your default site for looking up train times and tickets.

The national rail website is probably the best site to look up times and fares (it will tell you about some ticket types that the others won't). The individual train operator websites are better to buy tickets from because they have no booking fee, and some of them have online discounts for their own tickets.
I always use to get pissed off about this with the trainline-glad it was pointed out other sites didnt have booking fees!

Or perhaps even easier, go one stop further on the Jubilee to Waterloo and catch the overground to Twickenham from there - cuts out one change. If you fancy a beer before the game I would suggest not drinking in Twickenham or Richmond as they get very busy. There are a couple of pubs very near Westminster tube that are good ( I would recommend The Red Lion ) .

Not sure who is playing on Sunday but if they're expecting a big crowd, the trains can be standing-room only by the time they get to Richmond. Better to stay on the Jubilee line to Waterloo and change there for South West trains direct to Twickenham. Some services under 1hr 15min end-to-end, only one change and less station stops than taking the District.

Same Z1-5 Travelcard applies.

i'm going this (dressed as a pirate) and am meeting a mate at Waterloo at 1ish to get in the Cabbage Patch for about 2pm along with over a hundred other pirates

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
Twickenham station is hell on earth on match days. Both Whitton and Hounslow stations are much easier and almost as close to the ground. Hounslow is the quieter of the two, but the trains are slower. Both zone 5

Alternatively, if you get off at Richmond there is a shuttle bus service to and from the ground. Richmond is zone 4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47