Post Match Huddersfield 0 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is. It's very North Yorkshire but it's still in Yorkshire.

The 'boro fan Tim sat next to me says "no it isn't, but used to be, but it kinda is, but nobody living there would say it is"

It doesn't matter what people say it is, I can say Hinckley is in Warwickshire but it doesn't make it so, it's near the border, but it sits inside the county of North Yorkshire.

It doesn't matter what people say it is, I can say Hinckley is in Warwickshire but it doesn't make it so, it's near the border, but it sits inside the county of North Yorkshire.

Why would you say that Hinckley is in Warwickshire? I'm not seeing the link

Leicester is a unitary authority too, does that not make it in Leicestershire?

Yes. It is surrounded by Leicestershire; Leicestershire is, I believe administered from offices in Leicester; but Leicester is not in the Leicestershire.

Yes. It is surrounded by Leicestershire; Leicestershire is, I believe administered from offices in Leicester; but Leicester is not in the Leicestershire.

According to Wikipedia...

The Lieutenancies Act 1997 defines counties for the purposes of lieutenancies in terms of local government areas created by the Local Government Act 1972 as amended. Although the term is not used in the Act, those counties are sometimes known as "Ceremonial Counties". Schedule 1, paragraphs 2–5[3] as amended[4] (most recently in 2009[5]) defines them as:

Leicestershire, including Leicester

North Yorkshire, including York, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton-on-Tees south of the River Tees

So you're not counting Hull City or York City as Yorkshire teams either then?

Last edited:
Football teams from Middlesbrough are affiliated to North Yorkshire County FA. This has absolutely no bearing on the discussion above, but it is the only contribution I feel I can make. HTH.

Tim reckons that the locals use 'Cleveland' when they give their address.

This is great, Tim's usually really quiet but this debate has him fired up for once

According to Wikipedia...

The Lieutenancies Act 1997 defines counties for the purposes of lieutenancies in terms of local government areas created by the Local Government Act 1972 as amended. Although the term is not used in the Act, those counties are sometimes known as "Ceremonial Counties". Schedule 1, paragraphs 2–5[3] as amended[4] (most recently in 2009[5]) defines them as:

Leicestershire, including Leicester

North Yorkshire, including York, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, and Stockton-on-Tees south of the River Tees

There is no part of Stockton south of the River Tees. The confusion arises because the unitary authority of Stockton-on-Tees includes such places as Thornaby and Yarm which are south of the Tees.

So you're not counting Hull City or York City as Yorkshire teams either then?

I'm not counting any teams in any particular county; it's you who is trying to do that.

During my lifetime, Kingston upon Hull has during my lifetime been in the County of Humberside for a greater time than it has been in any other entity.

Also from Wikipedia: Middlesbrough (i/ˈmɪdəlzbrə/ mid-əlz-brə) is a large town situated on the south bank of the River Tees in north east England, that sits within the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire. The local authority, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council.

Love the pronunciation. I've never heard anybody from Middlesbrough pronounce it like that.

Tim reckons that the locals use 'Cleveland' when they give their address.

I would agree with Tim on that. The oddity is that most people from the part of the old county of Cleveland north of the Tees would give it in their address as County (or Co.) Cleveland as a salute to their erstwhile residency of County Durham.

Leicester is in Mercia.

It is easy to go overboard about Knockaert's second goal and so I will. Judging fromYouTube it seems to me to be the best Leicester goal this century. My only regret is that it happened away from home. However, what a deserved reward for those fans who travelled to Huddersfield.

Leicester is in Mercia.

It is easy to go overboard about Knockaert's second goal and so I will. Judging fromYouTube it seems to me to be the best Leicester goal this century. My only regret is that it happened away from home. However, what a deserved reward for those fans who travelled to Huddersfield.

Best one i've seen was away. Muzzy at Grimsby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566