Pre Match Huddersfield v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, The Great British Bake Off. Would a 'the' have helped?

Just like 'strictly' has entered common parlance, I assumed the acronym* of that other staple of Brit tele consumption would have gained similar popularity.

*not that it is, unless people say 'gabbo'... do they? I don't know.

What on Earth is GBBO?
Sorry, The Great British Bake Off. Would a 'the' have helped?

Just like 'strictly' has entered common parlance, I assumed the acronym* of that other staple of Brit tele consumption would have gained similar popularity.

*not that it is, unless people say 'gabbo'... do they? I don't know.
To be fair, I thought that Mr Gwilliam had a penchant for tea and cakes and would therefore have been familiar with the acronym.

1kTJuMka_400x400.jpg

Speaking of which, how were they? The cupcakes that is. I wouldn't have held out high hopes myself and presume they were (understandably) mass produced items that resembled cup cakes rather than the overpriced supposed 'home baked' bakery fare, let alone the genuine village fair treat worthy of GBBO. Not that I'm overly keen on them at all as it happens. They're not really 'cake' are they? Still, free and falls into the category of 'thought that counts', so I shouldn't be sniffy.

All rather begs the question of why I'm asking? A change from pickled onion Monster Munch I guess which, in truth, I've never had.
I actually thought the cupcakes were OK. I'm not a huge fan of the half-cake half-frosting mindset that lots of cupcake bakers seem to have, so it was a reasonable ration for me. Nothing special, but certainly acceptable.

The thought behind them and the generosity probably meant more.

Leicester have only failed to score in one of their last 21 league meetings with Huddersfield (0-1 in November 1987), finding the net in each of the last 12.

Which I believe was part of a dreadful 3 month run without a goal at all, until it ended with a 4-4 draw?

Does anyone who was a regular back then remember what the atmosphere must have been like during that run? Although also I recall our attendances were pretty low back then too

Rodgers in the mercury saying he may not pick Maguire as his daughter arrived early, assuming everyone is healthy I'm not sure why that would make a difference

Rodgers in the mercury saying he may not pick Maguire as his daughter arrived early, assuming everyone is healthy I'm not sure why that would make a difference

Because the first few days of looking after a newborn is physically and mentally draining in every way for both parents

Plus Morgan was outstanding last week, and this is relegated Huddersfield, so makes perfect sense to me

Because the first few days of looking after a newborn is physically and mentally draining in every way for both parents

Plus Morgan was outstanding last week, and this is relegated Huddersfield, so makes perfect sense to me
Absolutely spot on.

Which I believe was part of a dreadful 3 month run without a goal at all, until it ended with a 4-4 draw?

Does anyone who was a regular back then remember what the atmosphere must have been like during that run? Although also I recall our attendances were pretty low back then too

Now young man, settle down and let old Brown Nose tell you all about it.

That 4-4 match was the only league game in two and a half months that we scored in. In my youthful exuberance, I went to all matches home and away throughout. For some reason, I have better recall of them than I do a game from last month.

I think you could best describe the spirit in the kop or the respective away ends as detached menace. These were the days of 'Shipman Out' and routine violence. We saw off the twattish Hamilton during this particular run and ushered in David Pleat to much excitement. His first game was home to Bournemouth on Boxing Day and he was supposed to be 'observing' only. However, such was our ineptitude in the first half, he swept into the dressing room at half time and took control. We lost 0-1. It was a putrid time, although I remember thoroughly enjoying the away trips without the slightest expectation of anything on the pitch. I reckon the away trip to Oxford in the FA Cup was an all time great away day, including the sight of a worse for wear fan climbing up the floodlight mid match and throwing himself off into the throng below. We had our fun wherever we could get it.

Our terrace hero in these days of slim pickings was Jari Rantanen. A colossus who couldn't play football to save his life but he was Finnish and needed very big shorts so he was alright by us.

Come back next week for more tales of yesteryear.

the new baby bit so give him the week off I totally understand, it was the part about it being because the baby was early

Now young man, settle down and let old Brown Nose tell you all about it.

That 4-4 match was the only league game in two and a half months that we scored in. In my youthful exuberance, I went to all matches home and away throughout. For some reason, I have better recall of them than I do a game from last month.

I think you could best describe the spirit in the kop or the respective away ends as detached menace. These were the days of 'Shipman Out' and routine violence. We saw off the twattish Hamilton during this particular run and ushered in David Pleat to much excitement. His first game was home to Bournemouth on Boxing Day and he was supposed to be 'observing' only. However, such was our ineptitude in the first half, he swept into the dressing room at half time and took control. We lost 0-1. It was a putrid time, although I remember thoroughly enjoying the away trips without the slightest expectation of anything on the pitch. I reckon the away trip to Oxford in the FA Cup was an all time great away day, including the sight of a worse for wear fan climbing up the floodlight mid match and throwing himself off into the throng below. We had our fun wherever we could get it.

Our terrace hero in these days of slim pickings was Jari Rantanen. A colossus who couldn't play football to save his life but he was Finnish and needed very big shorts so he was alright by us.

Come back next week for more tales of yesteryear.

Thanks BN, interesting. I was following all that from afar, 11 years old in Anglesey with only Ceefax, Radio 2/5, and reports from the Mercury that my Auntie kept for me for months on end. Although the 4-4 was enjoyable via Ceefax.

Without any way of seeing us play the Mighty Finn sounded immense to me. I do believe a couple of years later I saw him play at Bangor City in a European match, or at least the team he was with at the time.

To be fair, I thought that Mr Gwilliam had a penchant for tea and cakes and would therefore have been familiar with the acronym.

I don't want to watch cakes being made I want to taste them.

Not for everyone. Marlon King celebrated the birth of a new child in a unique way. He ignored the wife and baby in favour of going to a disco and punching a girl full in the face when she refused to dance with him. No doubt Harry is a very different character.

On to more relevant matters. I am not sure that the pressure is off the Huddersfield players. They will all be wondering about their future - will they be picked up by a Premier League club? will they be retained? This may well lead to them playing as individuals rather than a team.

Morgan has done nothing wrong. However, I would like to see Soyuncu given a game. Until he is given ninety minutes in a competitive match it will be difficult for Brendan Rodgers to tell how good he is.

Thanks BN, interesting. I was following all that from afar, 11 years old in Anglesey with only Ceefax, Radio 2/5, and reports from the Mercury that my Auntie kept for me for months on end. Although the 4-4 was enjoyable via Ceefax.

Without any way of seeing us play the Mighty Finn sounded immense to me. I do believe a couple of years later I saw him play at Bangor City in a European match, or at least the team he was with at the time.
That 4-4 match was on TV over here since the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and umpteened option were all postponed. Did we still have the tent back then? Anyways, remember it best for us coming back from 0-2 to 2-2, only to go 2 behind again and scoring from the halfway line with their keeper by the sideline.

scoring from the halfway line

You've said that before. You were wrong then too...

You've said that before. You were wrong then too...

Well, almost :rolleyes::icon lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758